Best tire for ST1100

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
The Alaska Marine Highway System. A wonderful service for seeing parts of the state that are not accessible by road from the mainland and use when flying is not an option. It comes as far south as Bellingham, WA.

The official website is here. Prices will vary based on distance and whether you want a cabin too, inside or outside (later is more money). They do have 2 berth or 4 berth cabins so you can split costs.

The website works good, even plan multi-stop trips.

And there is an secondary system that just works around the lower (rain forest) islands. Alaska's Inter-Island Ferry Authority, website here

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
Used the ferry a few times.. never with motorized bike.

Longest trip I personally did was on the M/V Stikine from Anacortes to Ketchikan. Not exactly fast and not a lot to see as they stay a good ways off-shore. If doing a mutli day trip I would opt for the cabin, but if just an overnighter the lounge chairs are ok to sleep in.

OP
OP

tailwind@ak.net

Tailwind
Bike
91 ST1100
When we brought our ST down to America 4 years ago. we took the Alaska State Ferry from Skagway to Prince Rupert in BC. I can't remember the cost exactly, but I want to say around $600 for two and the bike. It was a wonderful trip and they let us off the boat for several hours in Petersburg and Juneau. Since then, we've been leaving the bike at different friends houses for the winters, and flying down every June, and October for two week rides. Been great so far, but running out of friends to impose on :D

Gerhard

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 R1200RT
We took the ferry from Prince Rupert to Vancouver Island last summer and really enjoyed it, we had beautiful weather and met lots of people on bikes and other modes of transport. We book ferries when ever possible because it kind of breaks up the trip and you get to meet lots of people and have a nice relaxed time. When we where on the ferry we saw the Seattle Alaska ferry sailing the same route, it was interesting as they allow people to camp on the deck. I guess they pitch their tents and tape them down to the deck. I have a photo of it and if I remember I will post it when I get home tonight.

Gerhard

I just did a quick google search and came up with this article http://seattletimes.com/html/travel/2022395962_alaskaferryxml.html

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Tailwind - Do you remember about how many days you were on the ferry? I'm thinking I'd like to ride back up to Alaska again and see a few places I've not been to, then take the Ferry back down. Trying to determine how many days the 'long' ferry ride takes (a little tough from the website).

Gerhard

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 R1200RT
O.K. just got home 45 minutes ago or so and the tricker treaters aren't knocking on the door yet so here are the photos of the ferry Columbia and the tents pitched on the deck.

Gerhard

And that is me in the captains chair of the ferry we where on. We stayed on course while I was in charge ;)

OP
OP

tailwind@ak.net

Tailwind
Bike
91 ST1100
Just looked back at our travel log. The Ferry left Skagway at 10:30AM on 8/27, and arrived Prince Rupert at 5:15AM on 8/29.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Thanks for looking. That's not near as long as I thought it would take (couldn't get a feel for how stops/layovers were taken). I could do a run down from Haines Junction to Haines (my favorite ride), ferry to Skagway, then ferry down to Prince Rupert.

OP
OP

tailwind@ak.net

Tailwind
Bike
91 ST1100
Is there any reason why I can't or shouldn't run a 120/70-18 on the front of an early (non ABS) ST1100?

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
Reason you shouldn't is the wheel width on the ABS is a half inch (?) bigger than the non ABS wheel, so the 120/70 is designed for a wheel of the ABS wheel size. Tire fitment charts will show this.

However, whether you shouldn't and whether you can are two different things, as many, many, including myself, have used the 120/70 with no issues, on the non ABS wheel. Your speedometer will not be as accurate though, showing you travelling about 6 mph faster than it would read with the 110/80 tire.

b.carez

Bill Carez
Bike
98 ST1100
STOC #
Is there a big difference in grip going from the Excedra's to radials. Have run Avon Storms for a long time. Currently running BT023's that I'm really not thrilled with (wear or feel). Tried them because of the closeout deals.

Top Bottom