identify a missing part ST1100 A..non abs 1998

for the last few weeks I've been working on the swing arm. it's going pretty well. but while I had the seat, fuel tank, and swing arm out I noticed that there's a tab extending inward from each side( the right one has a threaded hole- approx. 8mm sized...the left has a thru hole approx. 10mm dia) these tabs seem to be part of the bracket assembly that braces the two header pipes, just before they connect to the "collector" - the aft end of the collector has the two connections where the two mufflers branch off of. the tabs are about 5" above the collector and just below the swing arm. I've poured over the Honda parts fisks and simply can't find them ! the only thing I can imagine them to be, is attachment points for some sort of a heat shield. I can't tell if there was ever, anything connected to the tabs (16 years of collected dirt) any ideas?

Last edited:

Ron

Bike
ST1100s
STOC #
Down by the center stand/swing arm area? I would say it is the carbon canister brackets. One side is nut and bolt and the other is a screw. Look at an ABS parts fish for '96 and newer. California and 50 states EPA legal.

OP
OP
Thank you don, from your description it could only be the Carbon canister mounting bracket. I did take two pics, but lack the skills to post 'em. And was thinking I'd have to spend all day tomorrow, trying to post the pics I have. I was thinking that the american models had an "A", as part of their nomenclature- I'm learning.... Thanks for the help guys

Ron

Bike
ST1100s
STOC #
The '96-'03 1100A came with ABSII-ABS brakes second generation, TCS-traction control, LBS-linked brakes and were 50 state EPA compliant. They included a carbon canister, PAIR system and a different size front wheel and calipers. PAIR was a system to help reduce emissions. Identifiable by chrome tubing runners on the heads. Don't recall what PAIR stands for.

The pre'96 ABS used the same wheels as nonABS.

OP
OP
I believe it stands for "pulsed air injection reuse". Injecting air into the exhaust gasses to burn unburnt fuel in the exhaust. And there by reducing emissions. I don't think the canister was ever in my bike. I had assumed, wrongfully, that mine carryed the A desiganation Mine is not an "a" model. The unused space that the canister would normally occupie is fairly big. I've been trying to think of a use for that empty space, off n on all day. It's a shame it's so hard to get to. I will try to take a few more pics , and sometime next week try to post 'em so that this is a bit clearer for others who are interested.

Last edited:
Top Bottom