Suggestions for B+ wiring to Honda Marine Voltmeter?

Trying to get an answer soon, as I start wiring this in the morning!
I googled and could not find the post I read last week. I read a post that suggested taking the voltage before the headlight because of voltage drop incurred in wiring...Someone said use a relay (why?) and one guy said take the positive feed off a taillight. I am not going to use a momentary switch to turn it on, because I had one on my PC800 and having it always on was helpful.
I just want to pigtail it off some clearly marked wire that is switched, close to the battery or that is easy to get to.
I'm doing a chilly ride soon and added a 12 volt socket for the vest I'll be using.
My bike is a ST1100, 2001 model.
Thanks to all.

Ron

Bike
ST1100s
STOC #
I don't know that it is in the manual. It is kinda tucked in behind the fuse block in a plastic sleeve. I think there are 2 wires with a "bullet" connector on the end of the wire. I do not think it is fused. I used it to turn on a 50(?) amp relay for my aux. fuse block. Don't know the wire color.

There are 2 places on the back of the fuse block you can insert a crimped on spade lug for switched power (unfused).

Use the switched power wire to turn on a relay. Feed the load (gloves, heated grips, etc.) through the relay because of the current (amps) that feed the load. Most switches can't maintain a higher current passing through the contacts. The relay takes a small amount of current to turn on the relay. The relay has heavy contacts that can take the higher currents with out damage. Use a heavier gage wire such as 16 or 14 to the relay from the battery and out of the relay to the load. I will see if I can find a relay schematic to add.

Last edited:
Bike
1999 ST1100
STOC #
Like Ron said above, there are two bullet connectors and fuses, in a sleeve. You can't miss it. It's on the wiring harness fiche but is not identified. I believe one is fused and one is not if I remember correctly.

OP
OP
69diggity
I don't know that it is in the manual. It is kinda tucked in behind the fuse block in a plastic sleeve. I think there are 2 wires with a "bullet" connector on the end of the wire. I do not think it is fused. I used it to turn on a 50(?) amp relay for my aux. fuse block. Don't know the wire color.

There are 2 places on the back of the fuse block you can insert a crimped on spade lug for switched power (unfused).
so much! I was just looking at the wiring diagram and its really not at all clear. There are block diagrams; there's the electrical circuit diagram , however one has to just reach around and check it out and visually figure it all out. This helps me immensely and is less frustrating, thank you.

Ron

Bike
ST1100s
STOC #
Take a look at the link for a simple relay drawing. www.the12volt.com/relays/relaydiagram25.html

Feed the socket for the vest from #30 in the schematic. You will have 4 wires hooked up to the relay.

#86 is the switched wire from the fuse block

#87 is constant 12 volts from battery

Last edited:
Top Bottom