And the Survey says: It's SAFER! Yeah, one of those lane splitting threads!

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #
Here cars can't stay in their own lane much less pay attention to lane position.
Any of yuze guys know how lane splitting came to be accepted and how motorists and police got on board?

OP
OP
SupraSabre

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
The old tales I've heard was CHP many many years ago (back in the 40s or 50s???) decided they didn't want their Harleys sitting in traffic over heating, so they pushed to have the practice accepted, but never legalized it one way or the other.

Anyway, that's my story and I'm sticking to it....:8):

ST13Fred

Fred
Bike
2015 Motus MST
The key phrase here is 'speed differential'. My guess is the stats show few reported accidents surrounding lane splitting involve bodily injury.
Traffic must be flowing at 30 MPH or lower w/a 10 MPH max speed differential; near grid-lock conditions. What could go wrong?!

I think back when cars and motorbikes were a fairly new thing and there were very few traffic laws (just look photos and movies of chaotic big city traffic in the early 1900s), it was the natural thing to do especially with bikes being so much quicker and more maneuverable than cars. As vehicles got bigger and faster, in most places in the US the practice got outlawed, probably after a few fatal crashes. In some places it didn't get outlawed, and in those places drivers are more used to watching out for bikes trying to "lane share".

I lived in CA for years and still get back out there often on two and four wheels, so I see it from the perspective of a resident, visitor, car driver, and a motorcyclist. I generally don't lane share on the bike when I'm in CA because I'm usually not in that big a hurry, and mostly because I don't trust people to be watching out for me and to stay in their lanes on a predictable, consistent basis. However, sometimes I decide that the dangers of sitting in stop and go traffic on a bike outweigh the risk of filtering forward, so I exercise the option. In my experience, many drivers in CA are so used to bikes filtering forward in heavy stop-and-go that they will move over and open up a gap if they see you in the rear view mirror, even if you're not trying to get around them.

The most manic lane sharing/splitting I've ever seen was in Rome, Italy, where rivers of cars frenetically leapfrog with thousands of motorcycles and scooters through the ancient, twisty streets. Some people find it unnerving but I thought it was fun, and it seems to work well for them.

Last edited:
Bike
ST1300A
STOC #
I think even if it were legal and allowed, I'd still rather sit in lane, instead of thread my ST's fat arse through between cars, vans and trucks, whose drivers don't signal lane-changing intentions or check their mirrors.

Slydynbye

Will ride for Pie
Bike
2000 ABSII
STOC #
I think even if it were legal and allowed, I'd still rather sit in lane, instead of thread my ST's fat arse through between cars, vans and trucks, whose drivers don't signal lane-changing intentions or check their mirrors.
You might change your mind very quickly given the alternative which is to sit for an hour in the hot Sun or thread through the kind of traffic we have in CA.

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
The key phrase here is 'speed differential'.
Methinks this is covered by the "safe and prudent manner" due the rider... observing your max speed difference is among that...

Lane splitting (yet even filtering) requires experienced, well developed traffic observation, riding skills, competence in operation/handling, being continuously focussed and alerted, and maintaining a well developed consideration/precognition for the shortcomings of other road users...
You're not only on constant lookout for the one who might try to run over you, while at it you also constantly check for oil spills, white-lines, tar-snakes and other possible hazards ahead... as well as the speed-trap and/or LEO lingering to hunt you down...

So it seems not the activity of lane splitting itself that's "safe", it origins in the skill-set required to do it...

OP
OP
SupraSabre

SupraSabre

Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
...So it seems not the activity of lane splitting itself that's "safe", it origins in the skill-set required to do it...
And like all skills, the only way to improve on them is practice, practice practice! :D

And even after 43 years of lane splitting, I'm still practicing! :eek:4:

drrod

Site Supporter
Bike
'04 ST1300
STOC #
I recently had the opportunity to ride pillion on a Goldwing in SanFrancisco. The driver was my friend from Barcelona. The way he moved through the traffic with that huge bike was a thing of beauty. I was hearing angels sing!! The thing I noticed is that he seldom was between 2 cars for any length of time. The majority of the time he judged where the hole would be and utilized filtering to get there, evaluate and then get to the next one.

Subsequently I had the opportunity in LA to "practice". Typical gridlock and I was on my ST. I tried to emulate what my friend had done and found myself moving along at a satisfactory pace and not feeling in any significant danger. Lots of drivers moved over to give you room and remembering that the mirrors are the widest thing on an ST, I covered several miles of gridlock without too much problem.

Wonderful tool when you are able to use it but it requires savvy motorists as well as riders. I have ridden quite a bit in Europe and there it is just second nature to filter.

For the life of me, I don't know how it would be implemented in new areas now. I suspect one would have to put up with a pile of carnage until people adjusted.

Rod

Rod

Bike
2010 ST1300
I confess to being confused. The article said this practice was safe, lane splitters were more likely than other cyclists to wear helmets, and these motorcyclists were more than twice as likely to rear end another vehicle. So that's safer???

Bike
92 ST1100
I confess to being confused. The article said this practice was safe, lane splitters were more likely than other cyclists to wear helmets, and these motorcyclists were more than twice as likely to rear end another vehicle. So that's safer???
Believe accident was referanced to helmet choice, not lane-splitting;).

Bike
2010 ST1300
Believe accident was referanced to helmet choice, not lane-splitting;).
There was a mention of fatalities, and not all rear enders are fatal. So, overall, is lane splitting safe or just a way for us to shave some time from a trip? By my own definition, if an accident happens, from scratched paint on up then it is NOT a safe situation. The difference between scratched paint and something more serious can be a fraction of a second in applying brakes, inches in position, or small differences in the angle of the front wheel. Not something I want to bet on.

OP
OP
SupraSabre

SupraSabre

Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
There was a mention of fatalities, and not all rear enders are fatal. So, overall, is lane splitting safe or just a way for us to shave some time from a trip? By my own definition, if an accident happens, from scratched paint on up then it is NOT a safe situation. The difference between scratched paint and something more serious can be a fraction of a second in applying brakes, inches in position, or small differences in the angle of the front wheel. Not something I want to bet on.
I find that those that haven't experienced lane splitting often have their opinion slanted in a particular direction, without the benefit of the experience. :think1:

Yes, it can be a bit tricky, but just like last night, traffic was backed up for 35 miles. You would have wanted to sit behind a bunch of cages for several hours, soaking in their fumes, when you don't have to? Not me, I got home a little later than normal, but not several hours later! :mcrider:

Bike
2010 Honda ST13
I find that those that haven't experienced lane splitting often have their opinion slanted in a particular direction, without the benefit of the experience. :think1:

Yes, it can be a bit tricky, but just like last night, traffic was backed up for 35 miles. You would have wanted to sit behind a bunch of cages for several hours, soaking in their fumes, when you don't have to? Not me, I got home a little later than normal, but not several hours later! :mcrider:
I think the fact that you're in California which has a history of lane-splitting makes a huge difference. Lane splitting around here (New Jersey) is not only illegal, but it's not well tolerated by other motorists. I would be very uncomfortable doing it here and if I happened to be riding in California, I'm sure it would take me a while to get the hang of it. But I do believe that if done properly in a place that accepts it, it can be pretty safe and greatly reduce travel time.

I'm curious... have you had the opportunity to ride in other states? Did you lane split there? Did it feel as safe?

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
I've to admit that lane splitting on busy motorways in France at 80mph and more often feels a lot safer then the simple filtering (which is legal BTW) here in Vienna ;-)
French and Italian folks have a highly developed road awareness and a more generous attitude towards 2-wheelers, it takes a cager about a second to realize you in his/her rearview and to move over...

Different to the majority of folks here in Vienna, where most car drivers so lethargic, dull and occupied with their cell, etc... they don't even realize you're there until you dart by... or acting out over being stuck that they try to cut you off out of envy...

Bike
2010 ST1300

Yup, I have preconceived opinions about lane splitting - were I to live in CA where it is legal, I'd be doing it too to save time. But the discussion here is about the safety of the technique. All I'm questioning is the reporting of the article you posted. Either riding and lane splitting is safer than riding and not ls'ing OR riding and not lane splitting is safer than riding with lane splitting. If lane splitters tend to wear more protective gear, and fewer of them die or are hurt compared to non splitters, then I would say the practice is safer. We can discuss what you think about the practice if, for example, statistics show that 50% more of the lane splitters get in minor scrape type accidents than non ls'ers and that is what I was questioning in my post above.

The article muddied the answer to this question. Not surprising given how the media often muddies simple issues.

st11ray

2006 ST1300
Bike
'06 ST1300
STOC #
I don't care if it's safer or not. I just wish we could decide for ourselves in all 50 states!

Top Bottom