Hip Replacement And Motorcycling

Louie Louie

I've been told by 2 MD's that I may be needing a hip replacement within 2 years. Can someone ride well after this type of surgery? Feedback and advice welcomed.
Thanks in advance.

Louis

CYYJ

Michael
Bike
None any more.
STOC #
Louis:

I can't answer your question, but I can pass on an observation I made yesterday that might be useful to you.

Yesterday, I picked up ST 1300 that I purchased, and rode it for the first time (I've had a ST 1100 for the past 12 years). I was quite startled at how wide the fuel tank is on the ST 1300, compared to the ST 1100. I have mild arthritis in my left hip, and I found it painful to ride the ST 1300 for the first half-hour due to the need to splay my legs so far apart (relative to the ST 1100) when sitting on the ST 1300. After a while, I adapted to it.

So... you may want to start looking at the 'degree of outward leg splay' required by various types of motos when you ride them. My guess is that a moto with a fairly narrow gas tank would present fewer problems than a moto with a wide tank (such as the ST 1300).

Michael

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
There are lots of folks who return to doing what they love and some have a tougher time with healing and rehab then others. I have seen folks return to working at the firehouse and other things with a new hip. Best of luck.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
I've had both knees replaced and ride just fine. They told us in prep class (for hips and knees) that hip replacement was one of the few joint replacements that you usually get relief immediately after surgery. My sister's boyfriend had both done and he rides fine. There are 'movement' restrictions (so it doesn't pop out) until you get fully healed, but just push yourself in therapy and you'll come out fine.

Bike
2013 650 vSTrom
STOC #
I've had one knee replacement and due for the other. For hip/knee replacement the best thing you can do for yourself is to build yourself up before the surgery. The rehab is painfully and frustrating, but stick to it and try to push yourself (not too much) and don't let it get you down. The pain meds will help, but don't rely on them. Just stick to your exercises and make your rehab top priority. I've seen a few just lay around, not good......
BTW, my father had a hip replacement and was back to moderate working within five weeks. Best of luck to you [emoji106]

Bike
ST 1300 Blue
STOC #
I've been told by 2 MD's that I may be needing a hip replacement within 2 years. Can someone ride well after this type of surgery? Feedback and advice welcomed.
Thanks in advance.

Louis
Hi Louis, just a note to let you know that a hip replacement doesn't slow you down a bit. I had my right hip replaced March 09, 2013 and was riding July 1st the same year. The last time I had any pain was the morning I hobbled into the hospital for the surgery. 4 hours after the surgery, I was up and walking (with a walker of course) butfull weight bearing on the hip. They offered me pain meds but after the first night I found that I didn't need them. A suggestion though. Get your crutches in advance and practice in advance up and down stairs. They don't let you go home until you have mastered that little excercize. As for riding, no problems and even easier getting on and of the scoot. I can throw the leg up over the top box with ease now. Don't worry, do your excercizes and follow the docs instructions and you will be fine.

MstrJim

John Anthony

Bike
'03 ST1300A
STOC #
Louis,

You're getting some good advice with the above posts. When I went through knee replacement surgery, I was very aggressive with my rehab. I have also been pretty aggressive in getting my weight down and getting plenty of exercise. Now pain free in my knees and about the only thing I can't do is run a marathon (not that I'd be doing that any way, mind you).

Good luck.

John

OP
OP

Louie Louie

What a great bunch of responses. It's appreciated!

Bike
2021 Tracer 9GT
STOC #
Thanks in advance.

Louis
I highly recommend that the hospital you choose for your surgery is Certified in Hip and Knee Replacement through the Joint Commission. And yes, it is YOUR choice, not the doctor's. Same for rehab.
I have been in healthcare for 36 years, and my current position is Executive Director of Orthopedics at one of the largest not for profit health systems in the US. I tell you that so you will know that I sort of know what I am talking about here. Almost universally, post op hip replacement patients tell me that it is the first time they have been pain free in years and they also have increased range of motion. The key to success is taking advantage of any pre-op instructions the institution you choose may offer and carefully choosing where, what environment, and who is going to be doing your rehab. We encourage hip patients to be discharged home and follow up with home health. Of course that is not possible or practical for some and they must have inpatient rehab or be referred to an outpatient facility.
There is no reason you will not be able to ride after you complete your rehab and your incisions are fully healed.
BTW, some of my riding buddies are orthopedic surgeons and CRNAs.

OP
OP

Louie Louie

I highly recommend that the hospital you choose for your surgery is Certified in Hip and Knee Replacement through the Joint Commission. And yes, it is YOUR choice, not the doctor's. Same for rehab.
I have been in healthcare for 36 years, and my current position is Executive Director of Orthopedics at one of the largest not for profit health systems in the US. I tell you that so you will know that I sort of know what I am talking about here. Almost universally, post op hip replacement patients tell me that it is the first time they have been pain free in years and they also have increased range of motion. The key to success is taking advantage of any pre-op instructions the institution you choose may offer and carefully choosing where, what environment, and who is going to be doing your rehab. We encourage hip patients to be discharged home and follow up with home health. Of course that is not possible or practical for some and they must have inpatient rehab or be referred to an outpatient facility.
There is no reason you will not be able to ride after you complete your rehab and your incisions are fully healed.
BTW, some of my riding buddies are orthopedic surgeons and CRNAs.
It's Done. I agree with what you say. I'm now looking for my new bike.! Had surgery in May at Scripps Green Hospital in San Diego.

Top Bottom