New wheels

Bones

Your Humble Scribe
Bike
2014 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
Took an RT for an hour long demo ride Wednesday, bought one on Thursday, rode it home yesterday. With rain/snow and 40+ mph gusts this weekend, I spent time in the garage getting better acquainted.

Very impressed with the bike. Big improvement for me is 125 lbs less mass. People who know me know that my one continuing complaint about the ST has been its weight.

I like the water boxer much more than the 1150 and 1200 oil heads I have ridden. Much more power and way smoother. Liking a boxer (finally) sealed the deal. Not as buttery smooth as a V4, but it's the smoothest twin I have ridden and it is well suited to this chassis.

The features and integration are amazing, all nicely intuitive. Incredible brakes. Great ergos. I like the design and the quartz blue color.

My ST is for sale. 12 years of memories in that steed and when it goes I will be without a Honda bike for the first time in 29 years. Just got tired of waiting for Honda. Grew to like a friend's K1600GT (especially the motor) but it's too heavy for me; the RT is the same only different and waaay lighter.

Riding was believing, and the lovely Mrs Bones reminded me that you only live once, so go for it. (Yes, dear! :) )

Anyway, ready for something new.

Attachments

ChucksKLRST

Team Colorado
Bike
2019 Versys 1K SE LT
STOC #
Seems like I started a trend. Lots of folks have defected in the last few weeks. Congrats on the new bike. I know what you mean about the last 12 years of ST1300 memories. Still miss mine ST and am going to for a while, but I am warming up to the new FeJeR. As with you I am enjoying the lighter weight and the increase in power. Now a new round of farkling has begun. Enjoy your bike and be appreciative that our wives have the wisdom to see things as they do.

veefore

See you at my intervention!
Bike
15' BMW R1200RT
STOC #
Enjoy the new ride, many miles at the ready! I'm trying to ignore the VFR800..........must......stay........strong.......

John Anthony

Bike
'03 ST1300A
STOC #
Great looking bike, Scott. I'll be interested in your observations after you've had a chance to rack up some miles.

John

Outbackwack

Howard
Bike
'13 Vstrom 650
STOC #
Good for you Scott! I look forward to seeing it at another RTE, and I too will probably be riding something different as the weight issue has been heavily on my mind as well. I am leaning toward an ADV bike of some sort right now and am considering buying Mellow's V-Strom. I'm not sure how that is going to work out time wise for me as it's a fly-and-ride, but I'm still working at making it happen. Yeah, it was snowing like heck here today too and it's getting icy now. Good luck and be safe!

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
Congratulations Scott on finding a bike you like and works for you. Is this a new or used bike? It is a very nice looking bike, enjoy it.

v8-7

Site Supporter
Congrats on your new bike !

Looks like Honda riders are dropping like flies to other marques . :(

Reginald

cyclepoke
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
Nice bike! It's high on my list when I'm ready to switch. I'm interested in know what your going to do about drop protection. I tend to drop my ST - five times now.

Dinkie Diesel

------------Jeff------------
Bike
2013 GL1800
Congratulations, Mr. Williams! Arguably the best Sport Tourer on the market. I love that bike! If my piggy bank allowed it I would have one. I hope you'll give us the low-down after you get some miles on it.

ps Don't ride in the winter weather.

Bug Dr.

Extroverted Loner
Whodathunk! I hope you enjoy your RT as much as I enjoyed mine. Great bike.
Mike

SteveST1300

Site Supporter
Vendor
Bike
03&04 ST1300
STOC #
Congrats Bones although I already knew you were getting it I didn't want to blow your reveal. Best of luck with the new ride hope you get a chance to ride it a bit/ Too bad you didn't decide to come to FL with us!

Top Bottom