Front Brakes - How many miles to you get?

Bike
'99 ST1100
STOC #
I am having to replace the front brakes pads at 16K. The pads were almost down to metal. Is that a normal pad life?

'99 ST1100

Thanks.

Bike
2008 ST1300
STOC #
I got about 20k from the original set. A lot less on rear. Started not using back brake for normal stops since it's linked anyway. Would also like front tire to wear more in line with back tire.

W0QNX

Blacksheep Tribal Member
Bike
06/ST1300 19/R1250RT
2024 Miles
Directly related to the length of your trips. Do a 1,000 mile ride on the Interstates and you won't wear them much at all. As long as they wore about even the brakes were normal life.

OP
OP
GTEdge
Bike
'99 ST1100
STOC #
Good point, as they mostly wear from stopping not going! ;)

The rear still have about 3/4 life in them even though I always stop with both front and rear. I guess I am light on the rear brakes.

My understanding is that the link only works when the rear brake is applied.

Rear brake applies rear and some front.

Front brake applies only the front.

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
...they mostly wear from stopping not going! ;)
Unless neglected callipers causing the pads to drag... ;-)

My understanding is that the link only works when the rear brake is applied.
hmm...
Rear pedal operates two pistons on rear calliper plus one on each front calliper
Front brake operates two pistons on each front calliper, plus one piston in rear calliper, whilst the brake pressure to the rear is controlled by the PCV on front calliper/fork leg...
And in any way/constellation the system pressure of all callipers controlled by the ABS...

Best and correct manner on any motorcycle is to always use both brakes simultaneously...

Highrider

Part time mechanic
Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
I don't normally use my rear brake, except for what the linked system activates in the rear. I have been averaging 24K - 28K on front pads with about 70 - 80% of my riding miles are highway.

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
Depends a lot on which pads you are using too. For my money, OEM are the longest lasting. I'm getting about 70,000 miles on the fronts and 50,000 on the rears. Rears get more use for trail braking in the twisties. Mine aren't linked and I don't believe any year of the non ABS 1100's did have linked brakes??

Last edited:
OP
OP
GTEdge
Bike
'99 ST1100
STOC #
Okay. So

My old '84 Goldwing had linked brakes, Not sure how they were linked.

The '99 ST1100 is not-linked because it is non-ABS.

My '04 Goldwing is linked very similar if not exactly as described by ST1100Y

No wonder my braking reflexes are confused. :confused:

Always looking for someone to correct my thinking. ;)

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
Re: Front Brakes - How many miles do you get?

Depends on your riding style, but 16k seems a little early. Do you have OEM rotors and Honda pads? Honda rear pads are twice as thick as Honda front pads, BTW. I get at least 50K on fronts (can't remember on rears but I've replaced them at least once), but I'm not a Ricky Racer charging up to corners; try to ride 'The Pace' if possible. FWIW

John

Last edited:
OP
OP
GTEdge
Bike
'99 ST1100
STOC #
I don't ride hot dog style, if you know what I mean. I thought it was a little early myself. The pads and rotors were both OEM. I'll have to keep track of the new set and see how things go. Thanks, John.

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
Based on that, maybe it's time to check the functioning of your front calipers for dragging/sticking. If you can't push the pistons in by hand it's time to R&R the seals and clean out their grooves in the caliper bodies.

John

OP
OP
GTEdge
Bike
'99 ST1100
STOC #
You were right on John. The brake fluid had gummed up and was preventing the pistons from retracting. The ST should be back in operation by the weekend!! Yay!

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
You were right on John. The brake fluid had gummed up and was preventing the pistons from retracting. The ST should be back in operation by the weekend!! Yay!
Be sure to clean the grooves that the seals fit in. New seals sets of course. Teflon tape on the bleeder valve threads. New crush washers on the banjo bolts. Put a micrometer on the rotors to check against spec and for your records. Inspect and change your brake fluid as necessary in the future.

Tip: after removing the front pads, pump the pistons out against a 4mm thick piece of plywood slipped in the caliper. You should then be able to remove the pistons by hand (BTDTx3), and without having to use a tool on them which could damage them.

HTH

John

OP
OP
GTEdge
Bike
'99 ST1100
STOC #
Sorry to disappoint you John but I have the bike at an independent shop.

Y'all's advice is valid and it sounds like I should be replacing brake and clutch fluids once a year or so.

I'll need to think about improving my garage and tools to support a more DIY approach.

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
...sounds like I should be replacing brake and clutch fluids once a year or so.
...should?!... I'd make that a mandatory procedure ;-)
And a master/slave overhaul like every two years (or on any occasion the brake callipers start to feel "stiff" when pushing the pistons in...)

Bike
1999 ST1100
STOC #
Regarding seals, they always seem to look new when removed, cleaned. Do you guys ever just re-use em when maintaining calipers?

Last edited:

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
Do you guys ever just re-use em when maintaining master cylinders?
No!
With unarmed eye one cannot tell if the rubber is softened, starting to swell or if a lip is nicked... those seals are "cent articles" so I'd rather throw them away ("plastics" bin...).
Upon assembly I use dedicated brake assembly paste, eases the job and ensures performance/lifespan.

Top Bottom