That tire is just so wide.....

Bike
2008 ST1300A Red
Been riding a GL1800 on a CT for 50,000+ miles. Now, I'm switching the ST to a CT. I chose the Hankook V12 205/50/17 and it seems so wide. I have read several post and thats the size that works for them. My tire man is putting it on tomorrow. We shall see.....

Bike
2016 FJR
STOC #
I don't recall anyone having to shave the swingarm with a Hankook. It should fit fine. I too have a GL1800 darksided. I think you'll notice more of a difference on the ST when switching from MT to CT. You'll like it.

OP
OP
Bama Phil
Bike
2008 ST1300A Red
I don't recall anyone having to shave the swingarm with a Hankook. It should fit fine. I too have a GL1800 darksided. I think you'll notice more of a difference on the ST when switching from MT to CT. You'll like it.
I loved the difference on Wing.....Just can't get away from the Darkside....Dun Dun Dun!!!

OhioDeere

Been There, Done That, Got the Shirt.
Bike
06 ST1300
When my tire man put mine on the rim, It was the funniest moment thankfully no one injured..

"Johnny, - get everyone outside! This baby is tight and I'm going to have to take her to the max to seat it!" " Damn- You sure that fits on this rim?" LOL..

You will have to deflate it to install it, then re-inflate once on the axle.

Bike
2016 FJR
STOC #
I loved the difference on Wing.....Just can't get away from the Darkside....Dun Dun Dun!!!

I could barely tell the difference on the wing where with the ST its a little more pronounced. You'll feel a little bit more sidewall flex if you blip the throttle mid turn. After a few miles you won't even notice it. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

OP
OP
Bama Phil
Bike
2008 ST1300A Red
When my tire man put mine on the rim, It was the funniest moment thankfully no one injured..

"Johnny, - get everyone outside! This baby is tight and I'm going to have to take her to the max to seat it!" " Damn- You sure that fits on this rim?" LOL..

You will have to deflate it to install it, then re-inflate once on the axle.
Great info Doug....I will let him know.

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
I don't recall anyone having to shave the swingarm with a Hankook.
Had to shave the arm when I put the Hankook on the '04. But I did not have to shave the '05 to fit it.

But I did shave the '05 when I switched to the GYTT.

OP
OP
Bama Phil
Bike
2008 ST1300A Red
Had to shave the arm when I put the Hankook on the '04. But I did not have to shave the '05 to fit it.

Shave!!!??? This is No Shave November, so that ain't happening. Hoping an 08 can handle the tire without the shave.

Talked to my man this morning and he is planning on doing the inflate-mount-balance/deflate/put on the bike and inflate system as Doug prescribed.

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
Dan did a nice write up of how to re-install the rear without inflate/deflate/inflate. Use some plastic or heavy paperboard...

Link here

Bike
2016 FJR
STOC #

I stand corrected. I shaved mine for my current Yoko Envigor, so hopefully no more shaving when I go back to GYTT.

OP
OP
Bama Phil
Bike
2008 ST1300A Red
Very nice, thanks for posting that. I have the ABS and didn't consider that.

OhioDeere

Been There, Done That, Got the Shirt.
Bike
06 ST1300
Dan did a nice write up of how to re-install the rear without inflate/deflate/inflate. Use some plastic or heavy paperboard...

Link here
Why fight it. Let air out. Pump it back up once on. Pretty simple when I did it.

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
Let air out. Pump it back up once on.
But all the air that is already in there has already slowly become nitrogen richer as the oxygen has been bleeding out....

Change the air and I am back to only 78% nitrogen.

(Yes.. I am joking)

And it's not really a fight either way. One requires having the plastic, the other requires the time to re-inflate.

Tomato tomato...

Nashcat

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 Versys 1000LT
STOC #
I had to shave the swingarm on my '08, running a Falken ZIEX 612+. Here's what it looked like before mounting. I couldn't believe it was going to fit.

John

Attachments

OP
OP
Bama Phil
Bike
2008 ST1300A Red
I had to shave the swingarm on my '08, running a Falken ZIEX 612+. Here's what it looked like before mounting. I couldn't believe it was going to fit.

John
Gosh that looks the same. I hope that "Falken" Tire is wider than my Hankook.

I would love to see a pic of yours installed. Tire man says once the tire is installed it doesn't look as wide.

Nashcat

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 Versys 1000LT
STOC #
Gosh that looks the same. I hope that "Falken" Tire is wider than my Hankook.

I would love to see a pic of yours installed. Tire man says once the tire is installed it doesn't look as wide.

Here's a pic of the Falken after it's installed. Much smaller after it's mounted. What part of Bama are you from?

John

image.jpg

OP
OP
Bama Phil
Bike
2008 ST1300A Red
Here's a pic of the Falken after it's installed. Much smaller after it's mounted. What part of Bama are you from?

John
Thanks for the pics John.....I am from Northeast Alabama around Fort Payne. About 2 hrs. South of Nashville.

OP
OP
Bama Phil
Bike
2008 ST1300A Red
The Hankook is installed. He did the inflate/deflate/inflate and it felt great......Glad to be back on the Darkside.

Attachments

Last edited:

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
Welcome to the darkside... :ds1:

Many happy miles of high traction, low wear and great cornering.

Bike
03 ST1300
that Hankook looks good on the bike, i will be going darkside the next tire change. It,ll be next year early but i,m going to go ahead and buy my tire now and be ready .

Last edited:
Top Bottom