Easy check of LBS system

Bike
ST1300
STOC #
Please note up front that I may be posting this in the wrong forum, since the functionality check described may apply to ST1100 models with linked brakes (aka combined brake system) as well as ST1300s.
Also note that the steps described below are in no way anything near a comprehensive check of the LBS, but merely an easy way to verify that the system is functioning. I'm fully aware of the SM procedure of checking the SMC with the bike on its center stand and rotating the front left caliper CCW while the rear wheel is being rotated. I've done that many times.
The method I'm describing here is something that I assume anyone who has ridden an ST1300 for a month or more is already familiar with, so it may be useful info only to LBS newbies. This is a very easy check that is done while riding the bike, and is very simple. When approaching a stop on dry pavement, stop the bike using the front brake lever only - no rear brake pedal application. The last few feet before coming to a complete stop, apply the brake lever hard enough to cause some front-end dive and unloading the rear end, and KEEP PRESSURE on the brake lever for a second or two before releasing it. If the LBS is functioning, the bike will remain "hunched forward" after stopping until the brake lever is released, then return to its normal resting stance. There is no real significance to how long to wait before releasing the brake - I stated "a second or two" just so the rider will be cognizant what's happening with the bike's stance when the brake lever is released.

Don

Last edited:

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
Another method... just in case the newbie isn;t sure how much hunched over is...

Do several hard stops with only the front brake. Then get off bike and place hand on rear disc. If you smell burning flesh and see burns except where the ventilation holes are in the disc, it's working.

Okay... maybe don't actually grab the disc, but swipe across it and see if it's hot.

CYYJ

Michael
Bike
None any more.
STOC #
Both of the above are thoughtful posts with excellent technical analysis, but...

...do we have any reason to be concerned that the linked brake system is not operating as it should? In other words, are there 'known problems' with the LBS, or is there an adjustment anywhere in the system to calibrate front/rear brake application via the LBS?

Michael

OP
OP
Don B
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
The most significant known problem with the linked brake system than I'm aware of results from problems with the secondary master cylinder (SMC). Those problems and solutions are well documented in this forum.

Bike
1&2 2005 ST1300ABS's
STOC #
is there an adjustment anywhere in the system to calibrate front/rear brake application via the LBS
All of the LBS adjustment is done internally though the front delay valve and the proportional valve.

The only adjustment that I know of is the push rod located on the secondary master cylinder. If you do rebuild your SMC, take note of the length and set it exactly as found. If it is out of adjustment, you could block the compensator port inside the SMC and you may have problems with the rear brakes releasing once applied.

Top Bottom