Senna v. Autocom, Etc.

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
using earbuds while riding is illegal.
So is exceeding the speed limit.... not that I have ever done such a thing.

The Sena 20's have a headphone/earbud port built in. The 10 required you to buy a different mount or cut/splice the cable.

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
I imagine in the future we will see more new features added to the 20 as it is their flagship. The 10's will get just minor updates and bug fixes.
As an example... the 20's have the smartphone app so you can change and adjust settings on the fly.

Bike
2012 ST1300A
I see a lot of Scala G9x units here in the San Francisco bay area, lots of senna too. Tomatoe v. tomato thing I guess.

SteveST1300

Site Supporter
Vendor
Bike
03&04 ST1300
STOC #
I have the Sena SMH10's and I just got the mount that allows switching between speakers or earbuds best of both worlds. I love the Sena and I have never needed to but if you were riding more than 10-12 hours you can just plug the headset in and charge it while you use it. The only reason I might get the 20 is to use the FM to get satalite radio. I don't need that for now as mty 550 has that capability.

jfheilman

Site Supporter
Bike
2007 ST1300A
I have the Autocom Super Pro Automatic. I have been using it since 2006 or so and on the ST since 2007. It has proven to be very reliable and durable. Yes it does require cables. I have switched from the in helmet speakers to in the ear speaker systems.

While I have been looking at going wireless, one thing the Super Pro has that I have not seen on the wireless systems, is the automatic squelch control and volume control.

A special sensor mounted in the riders helmet adjusts the volume up as outside wind noise increases. The system squelch is also increased so that while you have to talk a little louder, I don't hear a lot of wind noise in the mikes. And its all automatic. This is something I have found to be really useful.

I have not seen this as an advertised element on the wired systems. One of the reasons I have not considered switching, that and the battery issue (i.e. dependent on a battery rather than bike power).

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
A special sensor mounted in the riders helmet adjusts the volume up as outside wind noise increases. The system squelch is also increased so that while you have to talk a little louder, I don't hear a lot of wind noise in the mikes. And its all automatic. This is something I have found to be really useful.

I have not seen this as an advertised element on the wired systems. One of the reasons I have not considered switching, that and the battery issue (i.e. dependent on a battery rather than bike power).
The Sena and Scala both have AVC that raises with increased wind noise, they use the mic to sample with, no extra sensors needed. I don't think either one increases the squelch automatically.

The Sena 10 and 20 are not dependent on battery. You can run them also on bike power.

Bike
2004 st1300
STOC #
The Sena and Scala both have AVC that raises with increased wind noise, they use the mic to sample with, no extra sensors needed. I don't think either one increases the squelch automatically.

The Sena 10 and 20 are not dependent on battery. You can run them also on bike power.
Autocom goes one step further to completely cut off the mic when not in use, no background noise. As the outside noise increases so does the threshold to trigger the mic. At the same time the volume is raised on your outside inputs. All completely adjustable. I am not sure if the sena does this.

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
Autocom goes one step further to completely cut off the mic when not in use, no background noise.
Umm... not sure where that statement is, but the Scala and Sena do not transmit the noise through the speakers when they are sampling the ambient environment.

Bike
2004 st1300
STOC #
Umm... not sure where that statement is, but the Scala and Sena do not transmit the noise through the speakers when they are sampling the ambient environment.
Autocom uses both avc and a vox system on the mic that is controlled by the noise sensor. This vox triggers the mic on and off. No ambient noise from either the sensor or mic. I did not know Scala and Sena are doing this.

Bike
2019 BMW R1250gs
STOC #
I ride with riders that have either CB or FRS/GMRS radios for bike to bike communications so my preference is something I can switch easily between CB and FRS/GMRS. I recently switched to Starcom Digital and it has been a good move. I went with Starcom because Autocom used to have PTT issues with CB radios and some people still have those issues. The Starcom Digital unit is their "Cadillac". It has all the bells and whistles others have talked about and even has a blue tooth capability but I am still wired to the bike power for everything except my GMRS radio and have cables. I have very good audio with CB, or GMRS radio, radar, GPS (Zumo 660) and XM radio all integrated into the helmet with priority switching/muting. At 80 mph I hear audio very well and my bike transmissions are heard clearly by other riders. Some of that is due to the helmet. The Starcom Digital Unit is about the size of a deck of cards so the size facilitates easy location and 12v power.

With a 5 minutes switch of radio and one cable, I can change from CB radio to GMRS. The PTT switch is common to both the Midland CB and Kenwood GMRS radios.

Tecstar Electronics is a British Company and they now own both Autocom and Starcom. There several Autocom and Starcom dealers in the US but I do not think you will find a dealer selling both because of franchise provisions. The two Starcom dealers I deal with are Bikeeffects.com and Spoiledbiker.com.

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
My Scala does have AVC and VOX. I use VOX to answer phone calls or mute the radio when I don't want to hear a commercial or need to listen to some outside noise better :) . totally hands off. so no wind or background noise unless I say something to turn on the mic. Otherwise listening to radio all the way to or from work. I don't know about Sena but would expect at least the same with those.

Bike
2004 st1300
STOC #
My Scala does have AVC and VOX. I use VOX to answer phone calls or mute the radio when I don't want to hear a commercial or need to listen to some outside noise better :) . totally hands off. so no wind or background noise unless I say something to turn on the mic. Otherwise listening to radio all the way to or from work. I don't know about Sena but would expect at least the same with those.
That is good information. I have never tried the scala or senna systems. I guess they have come along way from their first offerings.

I started with the starcom1 with its vox system. Starcom1 I think forced Autocom to up their system to the Autocom super pro avi with the noise sensor. To me the Autocom avi was a step up from the starcom1. Better cables(broke a few),better mic, less noise, easier to adjust, less touchy especially with a passenger. I have not used the starcom digital. I bet the digital is a step up from the starcom1 I was using.

I do not like the autocom speakers, hard to align in your helmet. I cut them out and inserted j&m 55mm speakers and they work great.

The autocom is able to handle all the junk I put on the bike. zumo 550 with xm, cellphone, radar, cb radio, gmrs radio and a passenger. I now only use the zumo xm radio, cb, and on very rare occasions a passenger.

A properly set up system can run excellent audio and communications in either a full faced helmet or open faced helmet with the wind blowing in your face at almost any legal speed. If your helmet is too noisy you can switch to ear bud speakers, This is truly where you can hear just how good the system is.

The new Superpro automatic is a step up from the avi, more adjustability and choices and separate passenger vox control. Especially useful if you have a passenger that is catching more wind noise than you are. But unless my avi breaks I will not upgrade. The system is very expensive, another draw back.

Starcom and Autocom both have great systems I would be nice if they merged them together in to one product line.

I am not saying the Autocom is the go to system, but it does work!

Bike
2004 st1300
STOC #
Has anyone got good experience with U.S. Autocom dealers?
You can deal with autocomdirect.com or see there list of dealers in your area. A lot of bmw dealers carried the autocom at one time but in Tennessee the only list one in Nashville. There are some online distributers.
At one time there was a st-owners member that sold them keith but I think he has stopped. Autocom had a big shakeup of the usa dealers a few years ago and cut everything back to one distributer and a few dealers.

CYYJ

Michael
Bike
None any more.
STOC #
I have a Sena SMH-5 that I use to listen to GPS directions (Zumo 590) and listen to music. I'm very happy with this device. I believe that the SMH-5 is the least expensive of the Sena Bluetooth headsets, it cost me about $120.

I ride solo and don't use the phone (for telephony) when I am riding, so, I didn't bother to plug in the little boom microphone that came with the unit (I use a 3/4 helmet, not a full-face). The Sena device works just great without the microphone, and I am not bothered by the boom when I am putting the helmet on and off.

Sound quality is very good, and the sound is LOUD - I ride with foam earplugs, but can still crank the volume up sufficiently to enjoy the music with the earplugs in. In fact, if I forget to turn it down when I don't have earplugs in, the volume is downright painful.

Battery life is amazing in the 'listen only' (meaning, no intercom, no microphone) mode. I get about 20 hours of performance out of a single charge, which means I have no worries at all about having to plug it in every night.

Best wireless headset product I have ever had, I recommend it highly.

Michael

Bike
2005 ST1300A
STOC #
This is a good thread. I've got an Autocom Super Pro AVI with Radio, GPS, Radar and Kenwood FRS bike to bike attached. I'd like to also talk bike to bike with my buddies with Scala Cardo units. Any way to do that??

Top Bottom