Throttle Body Synch

Bike
ST1300, VT750C
A day of Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance. After taking out the throttle bodies to address a coolant leak last week, I wondered if I might have disturbed the injector synch. The bike was and is running great, but it's new to me, so I don't have a good baseline to tell and I'm a tinkerer anyway, so I bought a vacuum gauge kit and dug in. It's easier to take everything apart the second time but I'd still love to have some words with the guy who designed the $%@& airbox... I first calibrated the gang of gauges I bought. Initially, they all agreed on what "zero" was, but disagreed significantly at normal engine vacuum levels. After that tuning of the tools, I got 'er done. The actual synch is trivial to complete, it's just getting to the parts that's a pain. Instead of taking the PAIR hoses off of the reed valve housings and plugging the inlets, I just popped the hoses off the control solenoid and plugged the hoses with ratchet extensions while I completed the synch. Here's before and after synch images of the gauges. It looks like the bike was pretty well synch'd to begin with, but I tightened the spread still better. The adjustments I made actually did improve the smoothness of the bike at idle and just off idle noticeably. This a smooth ride.:D

Attachments

OP
OP
AlleyBrewer
Bike
ST1300, VT750C
Definitely I'm ready to do some traveling, Vinny. I mostly commute, but now I've got a great steed to tour on. I just switched from a Shadow to the ST and my colleagues who also ride often comment that the only days I don't ride to work are when it rains. a lot. all day.

Top Bottom