MCCruise diagnostic?

magnaryder02

Justin
Bike
ST1300
I am trying to troubleshoot my MCCruise control on my ST1300. I have read there is a way to have it run a self diagnostic or there is a diagnostic manual. I do not know how to access this diagnostic tool. Does anyone have any info on this? Thanks.

Bike
2021 Tracer 9GT
STOC #
I am trying to troubleshoot my MCCruise control on my ST1300. I have read there is a way to have it run a self diagnostic or there is a diagnostic manual. I do not know how to access this diagnostic tool. Does anyone have any info on this? Thanks.
If this is the one that is made in Australia, I have a manual, if that helps.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
I have the manual for the ST1100 version which diagnostics are probably the same if it is the later model. What color is the 'brain' on yours? But as was said, the folks at MCCruise will be glad to help you. They always have helped me when I needed them.

John Anthony

Bike
'03 ST1300A
STOC #
Let me know if I can help in any way. I've got one of their manuals from the install I did on my 1300.

John

OP
OP
magnaryder02

magnaryder02

Justin
Bike
ST1300
Ok, sorry for the slow response. It is the unit from Australia. My problem is when I push the on/off button it gives me a green light. When I put the set button it turns orange, but will not hold the speed. When it gets under 20mph the light turns back to green. I looked at the speed sensor and it is 1/8" from the magnets and all of the wiring is fine. The sensor did hit the wheel a few years ago and rubbed away at it, but it worked fine after that so I don't think that would be the problem.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
In the manual is a complete diagnostic diagram that walks you through the process. My first guess would be that the O-rings in the Vacuum Actuator need replacing. Tony says that the ethanol content in our gas tends to eat away at them. There's a manual on how to replace them also. If you want to PM me with your email, I'll be glad to email the manuals that I have.

OP
OP
magnaryder02

magnaryder02

Justin
Bike
ST1300
Ok so I know this has been quite a while, but I have been really busy and just got around to doing the diagnositc tests, here are the results:

Put the cruise in diagnostic mode and went through each of the steps, the only thing that did not operate as expected was pushing the SET button. When pushing the set button with the bike off I am supposed to see the light on the controller turn yellow and hear a click of the actuator. When I push it the light does turn yellow and I hear the actuator click once. After the first time I do not hear the click again unless I get out of and get back into diagnostic mode. The light will change every time I push the button. Pushing the DEC button I hear a click every time.

So next I turned on the bike and pushed the SET button and the engine speed stayed the same. According to the manual the engine speed is supposed to rise with each press of the SET button and I pressed it at least 50 times and it did not change. So according to the manual I needed to do an actuator test.

For the actuator test I am supposed to disconnect the 4 pin connector and run 12v directly to the red wire. When I do this I hear a click. Then I am supposed to ground each of the other wires and should hear a click for each one. I did this and heard no clicks.

So I guess my question is, would anyone know if this is for sure the actuator and if it is, where is it? I think it is the about 4" round cylinder piece mounted on the side of the bike, but I wasn't sure.

Bike
2004 ST1300A
Correct; it is on the left side of the bike. It's a pain to get off and on. IIRC there are three wires that when grounded cause the actuator to click.

OP
OP
magnaryder02

magnaryder02

Justin
Bike
ST1300
Correct; it is on the left side of the bike. It's a pain to get off and on. IIRC there are three wires that when grounded cause the actuator to click.
Yes and I tried all 3 of those wires and none of them caused it to click, it only clicked when I first apply power.

Is this a part that could be replaced universally or be repaired? Or am I going to have to get it from the manufacturer?

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
I presume you are talking about the Vacuum Actuator which is a big black round device with a vacuum hose connected to it and a throttle type cable coming out of the end. There is a 'manual' for repairing one and I have a copy I'll be glad to email you if you'll PM me your email address. It's pretty simple inside and MCCruise has told me that the ethanol in our fuel tends to corrode the O-rings inside the unit and cause problems. The O-rings are standard that you should be able to pick up at most auto part stores. The only other component is the small shuttle inside which seldom fails.

Bike
08 VFR800, 17 CB1100
I had similar issues about a year ago. The cruise would not engage. Spent a lot of very frustrating time (for both parties) on the phone with the OEM and eventually came to the conclusion that it was the bad Yank ethanol plugging up the jets. I'm a mechanical numpty, which caused no end of frustration with the party on the other end of the line, who's most likely a mechanical/electrical/every other kind of cal genius. Luckily for me my mate is a whizz and was able to understand what was going on sus out the problem. Be advised there are some very small, fiddely bits inside that cannister that are anxious to jump out, go running around the garage and try to play hide and seek with you. Once the jets were cleaned everything was champion.
I'm still not convinced that my unit is running at peak performance and I wish the US dist. was located closer so I could have it looked at and get it properly tweaked.

OP
OP
magnaryder02

magnaryder02

Justin
Bike
ST1300
Thanks Phil! I went looking in the email you sent me a while back and you had included that with the other manuals you sent. I'm going to give this a try hopefully this weekend and see if I can get it fixed.

Bike
2004 ST1300A
"Be advised there are some very small, fiddely bits inside that cannister that are anxious to jump out, go running around the garage and try to play hide and seek with you."

That just made my day...It perfectly describes why must of my projects take 3 times longer than planned.

toby267

Hi, All,

I am having the exact same problem with the cruise I recently purchased from another member of the forum here. In diagnostic mode, I get one click from the actuator while pressing the set button, but no clicks on subsequent presses. I can increase the engine speed after around 20 presses of the set button while in diagnostic mode, but the cruise will not engage while actually riding the bike.

Does this sound like an o-ring problem? Does anyone know what size o-rings to use as replacements?

One other thing, I get no response from spoiled biker by e-mail or returned phone calls. do they still represent Mccruise here in the US?

Dex

Bike
ST1300A
I had a problem with the MC cruise control which stopped working, and the reason was it had 'forgotten' which polarity the clutch switch is on the ST1300. Check the MC Cruise diagnostic manual and there is a section that covers this. Worked fine ever since.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Toby - If it is speeding up in diagnostic mode, that generally means the actuator and electronics are good. As Dex said, it could be the clutch switch connection, the brake light connection, or a wire loose on the speed sensor. You can unplug the clutch connection and the unit will still work (it just won't cut off when you pull in the clutch). I'm thinking there are tests for each of those connections in the diagnostic manual.

OP
OP
magnaryder02

magnaryder02

Justin
Bike
ST1300
Another update from my bike. For the actuator test I am supposed to disconnect the 4 pin connector and run 12v directly to the red wire. When I do this I hear a click, I think from the computer. Then I am supposed to ground each of the other wires and should hear a click for each one. I did this and heard no clicks. The was the connector under the seat with the striped wires. I then tried the connector that comes out of the actuator and got a solenoid click for each wire. I then took the actuator apart to inspect the o-rings and took each solenoid apart. All of the o-rings were in great shape and the solenoids were clean. Still no cruise.

Top Bottom