Ringing in the Ears (Tinnitus)

Afan

... and this is my real name.
Bike
1998 ST1100
STOC #
Did anybody have an issue with ringing in the ears (tinnitus) caused by wind noise while riding?
I have a problem and trying to figure out what's causing it.

Thanks for any help,
Afan

Cannot specifically point to early years of riding, working around loud equip, or other things, but tinnitus is real. I recently decided to ride with ear plugs and save what I have left. No down side except a few more seconds to add plugs, suit up and ride. Ride safe has many meanings. Protect yourself.

Bike
2014 FJR ES 2009 WEE
I have a problem and trying to figure out what's causing it.
Stay away from aspirin products....they can make it much worse....actually, google tinnitus and see all the things listed that can cause it or make it worse.......good luck..........ff

Bike
2020 Moto guzzi V85T
I too have Tinnitus and have had it for years long before getting back on bikes. It does not go away. After a while you just don't notice it any more. I wear ear plugs all the time now, it is something I should have paid more attention to when I was younger. Anything loud will cause Tinnitus, machinery, shop tools, loud music, wind, etc. From what my Doc says there is not much that can be done for it. Damage is done. But wearing ear plugs in loud situation does help prevent it getting worse.

I do not have high blood pressure and do not take aspirin products. Although what I have noticed that brings it on are large amounts of caffeine or when someone mentions that they have Tinnitus. I fact as I write this blurb the ringing started.

Reginald

cyclepoke
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
From personal experience get a quiet helmet and if it continues after a testing get ear plugs. You can get fitted plugs from audiologists, some can be fitted with speakers; pricey. I have a quiet to me helmet and when needed on windy days I use the foam type ear plugs, easy on my ears.

You might get your ears tested by an audiologist and discuss the situation. I agree with checking tinnitus and causes on google.

gmast1100

Gettin old sux
Bike
2016 Kawasaki Versys
STOC #
I've had this since I retired from the Air Force in '86. I worked around high speed electronic equipment and we we're smart enough back then to wear ear protection. I now have to wear hearing aids and they have a white sound that eliminates the ringing but have to take them out at night so it all comes back.

thepaleobiker

Paleo, Runner, Spiritual, Dancer
Bike
2006 ST1300A "Vikki"
STOC #
The ringing has indeed started for me too ....I was stupid and naive attending my fav death metal band Meshuggah play live music. I had real intense ringing for two weeks...after which it 'went away'

I'm drinking coffee and reading about Tinnitus, so naturally my ears are now pounding with intense ringing. I will hop on the bike now, maybe I'll forget it real soon.

Regards,
Vishnu

I too have Tinnitus and have had it for years long before getting back on bikes. It does not go away. After a while you just don't notice it any more. I wear ear plugs all the time now, it is something I should have paid more attention to when I was younger. Anything loud will cause Tinnitus, machinery, shop tools, loud music, wind, etc. From what my Doc says there is not much that can be done for it. Damage is done. But wearing ear plugs in loud situation does help prevent it getting worse.

I do not have high blood pressure and do not take aspirin products. Although what I have noticed that brings it on are large amounts of caffeine or when someone mentions that they have Tinnitus. I fact as I write this blurb the ringing started.

The Dan

The Dude Abides
Site Supporter
Vendor
Bike
2009 ST1300 ABS
STOC #
Yup I to have the ringing 24-7 and it gets worse and lets up and gets worse again. I will go in after January and see if my neck problems are causing it. Starting year 3 with this beast

Bike
'07 ST1300
I took care of my ears, using plugs on the bike and protection at work. Then about six (?) years ago a virus attacked both my ears and left the gift that never stops giving - tinnitus. It has gotten worse with time. As a double bonus I am also an audiophile. Like everyone else I scoured the internet for relief. Seems like avoiding caffeine and alcohol are the big thing for me. Good luck.

Attached is an article I wrote, awhile ago, for the BMW Owners News on ear plugs.

Well today is not my day to add attachments. Can't seem to get the article to attach. If anyone would like a copy e-mail me at lparkin@juno.com

Len

Last edited:
OP
OP
Afan

Afan

Bike
1998 ST1100
STOC #
I second wearing ear plugs, save what little I have left.
Let me know if you need ear plugs as I have a box and can spare a few.

http://www.howardleight.com/ear-protection/earplugs

I wear the laser lite and the firm fit ones.
Thanks for your kind offer but already have. Maybe not the best ones (bought in Walgreens, about 30 in the box) but it should be fine.
I use the earplugs but not all the time. The wind noise in my helmet is really loud, but didn't put every time when riding to work (and back) about 120 miles a day.

OP
OP
Afan

Afan

Bike
1998 ST1100
STOC #
A friend of mine had that and it was from high blood pressure .
Yes, that's one of the reasons. It could be a lot of coffee, or alcohol. Or even benign tumor. I'm still trying to figure out what caused mine and if it's reversible. :(

OP
OP
Afan

Afan

Bike
1998 ST1100
STOC #
Hm.. Looks like there is a big chance (next to all other reasons) it could be the wind noise that caused it...
Looks like it's time for doctor's visit... :D

Thanks guys for your help.

Bike
st 1100
I too have Tinnitus. I got it from 12 years in the military. Firing weapons with out the proper hearing protection. :(

Throttlejockey

Padden is my hero
Bike
06 ST1300
STOC #
From personal experience get a quiet helmet and if it continues after a testing get ear plugs. You can get fitted plugs from audiologists, some can be fitted with speakers; pricey. I have a quiet to me helmet and when needed on windy days I use the foam type ear plugs, easy on my ears.

You might get your ears tested by an audiologist and discuss the situation. I agree with checking tinnitus and causes on google.
There's no such thing as a helmet quiet enough not to use ear plugs. I guess maybe if you ride with your shield raised all the way up it might be possible.

Top Bottom