Garmin City Navigator North America 2015.3 Update Now Available

CYYJ

Michael
Bike
None any more.
STOC #
Hello Folks:

For those of you using Garmin GPS devices, the version 2015.3 map update for North America is now available on the Garmin servers.

Garmin runs two different update cycles concurrently: For newer devices such as the Zumo 660 and 590, there are 4 updates per year scheduled about 90 days apart. For older devices (older than perhaps 3 years or so), there are only 2 updates per year, once every 6 months.

The difference in the update cycles is due to how the map files are constructed - the older devices cannot use the same map files as the newer devices, hence they get a different download. If you use Garmin Express or Basecamp to update your device, either of those two applications will automatically detect and install the appropriate map update.

Michael

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
Thanks for the reminder, I'm probably several versions behind at this point. I wish it didn't take so damn long to do the updates...

OP
OP
CYYJ

CYYJ

Michael
Bike
None any more.
STOC #
I wish it didn't take so damn long to do the updates...
There are two major factors that affect update speed:

1) Your internet connection speed - cartography updates are between 3 and 5 gigabytes in size. A fast connection makes a big difference. If your home connection is sluggish, perhaps take your laptop to your workplace and mooch off the high-speed connection there :)

2) The speed of the USB connection between your computer and the Garmin device you have attached via USB cable. If you have an older computer that only supports USB 2.0 speeds, it doesn't matter how fast your internet connection is, it will take forever to transfer the information from the computer's internal disk to the solid state memory in the GPS device. Likewise, if you have an older GPS device that only supports USB 2.0 speeds, it doesn't matter how fast your computer's USB capabilities are, the GPS device can't be force-fed any faster.

For what it's worth, it takes me about 20 minutes to update the maps in my (newer) Garmin 590, and about an hour to update the maps in my (older) 660. I believe the difference is due to the 590 device accepting higher USB delivery speeds than the 660.

No matter what your situation is, the simplest solution is to plug the device into the computer and start the download before you go to bed. It will be ready in the morning.

Michael

Sharpes, Florida , formally, Nevada City, CA
Bike
GL1800, ST1300
STOC #
Two computers setting side by side on different internet modems, one att and the other spectrum cable. Devices are Garmin 390 and 396. The newer computer has the 396 on it and it is downloading at 150 KbPS; The second (older computer) has the 390 on it and it is downloading at 4.8 MbPS.

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
There are two major factors that affect update speed:

1) Your internet connection speed - cartography updates are between 3 and 5 gigabytes in size. A fast connection makes a big difference. If your home connection is sluggish, perhaps take your laptop to your workplace and mooch off the high-speed connection there :)

2) The speed of the USB connection between your computer and the Garmin device you have attached via USB cable. If you have an older computer that only supports USB 2.0 speeds, it doesn't matter how fast your internet connection is, it will take forever to transfer the information from the computer's internal disk to the solid state memory in the GPS device. Likewise, if you have an older GPS device that only supports USB 2.0 speeds, it doesn't matter how fast your computer's USB capabilities are, the GPS device can't be force-fed any faster.

For what it's worth, it takes me about 20 minutes to update the maps in my (newer) Garmin 590, and about an hour to update the maps in my (older) 660. I believe the difference is due to the 590 device accepting higher USB delivery speeds than the 660.

No matter what your situation is, the simplest solution is to plug the device into the computer and start the download before you go to bed. It will be ready in the morning.

Michael
The maps download a lot faster than it takes to transfer them to the GPS. I think the USB is only 1.0 on my zumo 550.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
No, not likely 1.0 - the USB 2.0 standard came into effect in 2000.

Michael
I know, but for whatever reason Garmin did not adapt it for a long time. I assume they have by now though. I have a newer Nuvi (newer than the zumo 550 that is) that's also USB 1.0.

Top Bottom