Going to check out an ST1300 tomorrow

Bike
2003 ST1300
There's a 2003 ST1300 in my area I'm going to check out tomorrow. It's got 64,000 km on it and has power outlets, bags, garmin zumo and afrermarket windscreen. Can anyone give me suggestions for things to consider or look at comsdering it's a 2003 model. The price I got him Down to was $5500 from $6200. Good deal? It is the ABS model and also has hand warmers.

Last edited:

The Dan

The Dude Abides
Site Supporter
Vendor
Bike
2009 ST1300 ABS
STOC #
Kinda high on the price if you ask me.
45 to 48 is more in line for this time of year.

OP
OP
Ricochet
Bike
2003 ST1300
Yes it is the ABS model. This is in Canadian dollars. Not many available in my area unless I travel many hours.

CYYJ

Michael
Bike
None any more.
STOC #
I recently bought a ST 1300 in Canada. The bike was in Nova Scotia, I'm in Toronto. I paid $10K Canadian ($8,900 USD) for a 2012 ABS model with 39,000 km (24,000 miles) on it. Came with a Corbin seat and the original seat, otherwise farkle-free.

I asked for advice about what to look for before buying the bike, the post with my question (and the really excellent suggestions that fellow forum members made) is here: Due Diligence' check for 2012 ST with 20K miles on it - need your suggestions.

I took the bike to Markham Powersports (Markham Road and 16th Avenue) to get the Ontario Safety Check done. I was quite happy with the service there, the staff are very meticulous. You might want to consider making your purchase offer conditional on passing the safety check - in other words, tell the seller that it is his responsibility to get it certified before you buy it.

Michael

PS: There's a ST 1300P listed for sale in Stratford. I went to see it and was not impressed with the bike or the seller. PM me if you need further info.

Last edited:
Bike
ST1300
If you check out cycle trader in your area, you will see that $5000 is close to what you will pay. I wouldn't pay more than $5k at this time of year for that age of bike with that number of kms on it. Don't rush, there will be more coming along.

MajorTom

QuickBlue
STOC #
A quick search on Kijiji shows the cheapest comparable in the Alberta market is $5800 for an '03. 95,000 km, no ABS, heated grips, HeliBars riser. If the one you're looking at is in good condition (it is an 11 year old motorcycle after all) I'd guess the price is reasonable.

I'll add two things. First, it is November and you really don't need a bike until spring, so you can afford to wait if you're not crazy about this one once you've seen it, and second, I really like the electric windshield on my '04, which isn't on the '03 model IIRC. In fact, I'm not sure I'd buy another touring bike without one.

OP
OP
Ricochet
Bike
2003 ST1300
A quick search on Kijiji shows the cheapest comparable in the Alberta market is $5800 for an '03. 95,000 km, no ABS, heated grips, HeliBars riser. If the one you're looking at is in good condition (it is an 11 year old motorcycle after all) I'd guess the price is reasonable.

I'll add two things. First, it is November and you really don't need a bike until spring, so you can afford to wait if you're not crazy about this one once you've seen it, and second, I really like the electric windshield on my '04, which isn't on the '03 model IIRC. In fact, I'm not sure I'd buy another touring bike without one.
i find buying in the winter months the best time because people don't want to keep the bikes in storage and would rather have the money for winter. As far as I can see this bike does have abs, power windshield as well

does anyone else have other tiOS what tI look for? What kind of large maintenance issues go with 2003 models in this mileage and age?

Last edited:

okckeith

Site Supporter
Bike
2017 Triumph Trophy
I say buy it if you like it. Change the fluids and go ride it for a long time. The ST1300 is a trouble free bike that likes to eat up some miles.

Kevin_56

Site Supporter
Bike
20 R1250RT
STOC #
What kind of large maintenance issues go with 2003 models in this mileage and age?
I have an '03 with 140,000 MILES on it. I replaced the coolant hoses at 100k, they did not need it, I am just planning on riding it a long time. At some point the clutch plates will need replacing, but it is not mileage determined. Use will play a role on that also. Some replace the fuel line from the upper tank to the lower which I did at 100k due to the need to remove the tank. These are pretty reliable. I did have an o-ring on the alternator fail this fall. Not many, if anybody else has had this happen, so not a common replace item.

You will not regret the purchase.

OP
OP
Ricochet
Bike
2003 ST1300
Went to go check out the bike tonight. The bike looks great, very clean and just a couple of tiny scratches on the outside of one bag but other then that it looked shiny and great condition. The guy who owned it kept a binder of meticulous service records and all of the bikes maintenance was taken care of diligently. It recently had brand new fork seals and fluids put in. The bike has ABS, electric windshield, 3 power outlets, heated grips, a garmin Zumo, heli bars, a $300 extra windshield and a honda top bag as well. He's throwing in a special bike lift thing along with a couple of extra bags and service manual. Mature rider owner.

All the bikes features including the headlight adjustment and windscreen and everything worked perfectly. Bike started up quick and sounded like it was healthy.

Im in going to take my wife to see if she fits well on the back and if she does I will put a deposit on it. Seems like a great deal to me considering most of the upgrades I would of liked including the garmin is included.

MajorTom

QuickBlue
STOC #
Careful with the missus on the back! When I took mine for a test drive on my '04 to see if she liked the seating I pulled an impromptu wheelie cracking the throttle in second gear coming down the on ramp to the freeway. Luckily she didn't notice as I let it down real easy. :)

FWIW, my wife really likes the ergos on the ST, especially after I added the passenger footpeg extenders from MCL.

OP
OP
Ricochet
Bike
2003 ST1300
Careful with the missus on the back! When I took mine for a test drive on my '04 to see if she liked the seating I pulled an impromptu wheelie cracking the throttle in second gear coming down the on ramp to the freeway. Luckily she didn't notice as I let it down real easy. :)

FWIW, my wife really likes the ergos on the ST, especially after I added the passenger footpeg extenders from MCL.
Care to share the info on that MCL extenders in case I need something like that? :)

CYYJ

Michael
Bike
None any more.
STOC #
... The guy who owned it kept a binder of meticulous service records and all of the bikes maintenance was taken care of diligently.
That is, by far, the most important consideration when buying a used bike. Sounds like this bike is a "good one" - based on what you have said, and considering the various farkles included in the price, I'd say you should go ahead and buy it. If I was in your position, I would.

Michael

Top Bottom