Second try at Shinko 705 Radial using a Kenda K761 Dual Sport as front

JPKalishek

Armadillo Kicker
Bike
2 '91 ST 1100
Earlyer this year, after going with the 777 and not getting the miles I wanted, I was pondering what to get, and needed a cheap set so as I already had the Kenda DP front with so few miles on it I went and ordered a 705 ... and it didn't come. Instead of notifying me they were on national back order, even though they showed it in stock at the time my order was placed they just kept quiet until I called looking for my round black thing. So, instead of ordering something else from them, I canceled the order. I went over to Motorcycle Superstore and They showed the tire in stock as well, so I called to make sure, and was assured the tire was there waiting for my order. Got the tire a few days later and installed it.
Some time ago I chatted with a fellow on a GS riding two up with his wife on the back and he mentioned siping the tire to let the heat out and getting longer wear.
I did it to mine, giving a closed sipe on the blocks using a razor knife going with 3 long on the main big blocks, 3 short rolling stabs on the short main blocks and similar ones on the very outside blocks, depending on how long the block was with 5 or 3.

It is now at 8712 miles and still has a bit of good life left on it.

The sipes seem to have done the job.

Cost per mile is now under a penny a mile.
Cost/mile
Front- $0.0090807088
Rear- $0.009985253

BTW the Kenda K761 Dual Sport on the front is looking fine as well. It too has a siping job by razor knife, and is at 9579 miles. Grip is pretty darn good though it does get squirmy under hard braking. I'll try to post pics of it later. Having trouble getting them on and off the phone.

So, even though I rode them in the heat of the summer (though admittedly a milder than usual summer for Texas) I've had no heat issues and the end is still to come.

OP
OP
JPKalishek

JPKalishek

Armadillo Kicker
Bike
2 '91 ST 1100
so, after a trip to Memphis for Turkey day food by Mom & Dad, I am over just 10,000 miles on this rear tire.
I will post pics asap (I just walked in the door a few minutes ago.)

OP
OP
JPKalishek

JPKalishek

Armadillo Kicker
Bike
2 '91 ST 1100
Finally got them from the phone, to an email, to my computer.

This one shows a bit of the block "cracking". The texture was there from the start, but if you overheat the tires, they do start to crack there. but hey, it only has 10,044 miles on it:

Ordered another today. Will keep the Kenda on the front, and maybe try something else next go-round.
The cost on the rear at 10,044 is $0.00867 per mile.
Cost of the front Kenda at 10,911 miles is $0.00797 per mile so far and plenty of life left.

Last edited:
OP
OP
JPKalishek

JPKalishek

Armadillo Kicker
Bike
2 '91 ST 1100
You're definitely getting your money's worth out of that tire.
I do think so. I would have been happy with 8-9,000 miles. I was hoping to out do the Bias version at least. If it beat the PR3 miles great. 10,000 from my tire eating riding. Wow. Let's see if it does that again!

Top Bottom