Nothing on but the clock. What now?

Norm

Vendor
Bike
KLR650
STOC #
A friend recently had his bike lose all electrics excepting the clock, while he was at the booth crossing the border. Nice timing. ;-)

He hauled the bike home and appears to have a bad ignition switch or Red/Black wire circuit problem however I'm awaiting results from testing recommended.

What to do if this happens?

It might be a melted main fuse which will produce the same symptom excepting no clock so I strongly recommend doing the ignition relay bypass modification which is a thread I started here some years ago: http://www.st-riders.net/index.php?topic=3643.0

I recommend carrying a 14 gauge jumper wire with a pair of decent tips. Have a look at the fuse box and find the red wire and the red wire with black tracer. Jumper these two together and power will come on allowing the bike to be ridden. The only problem is that the cooling fan won't run unless the key is on but would allow the bike to be moved if ignition key lost, switch wrecked, etc. If one jumpers the Blue/Orange wire to power (red wire) at the ignition switch to harness plug, the fan will also run.

One hint is that having the steering head locked or other securing method might be considered as ignition key is an option as one can see.:(

OP
OP
Norm

Norm

Vendor
Bike
KLR650
STOC #
He just sent the following message so is back in business. I hope he will do the relay mod or bring it here for me to do.

"Found It! in front of the air filter housing box and bolted to the frame is a golden colored metal bracket which holds 4 separate wiring plugs in one place, apparently for ease of access. the left front corner of this bracket has been wearing on the ignition switch wire bundle and has finally worn through and completely severed the red wire from the battery, thus rendering the whole thing kaput! Found it by working back from the ign. switch wiring plug! "

Top Bottom