What is the function of the two drain hoses under the ST 1300?

CYYJ

Michael
Bike
None any more.
STOC #
My ST 1300 has two rather lengthy drain hoses aft of the engine. I'm pretty sure that one of them is the overflow drain from the annulus around the fuel filler cap, but I have no idea what the other one is for.

Does anyone know what the second hose is for?

Also, I would like to shorten these hoses so that they are not so conspicuous - are there any problems known to arise if the hoses are shortened up a bit, so they are about flush with the bottom of the belly fairing?

Michael

Drain Hoses

Bike
ST1300
STOC #
The larger one is the fuel tank drain hose, the smaller one is a vent hose from the evaporative canister. I just looked at these on my ST, they extend a little bit below the lower cowl, but appear to be less than on yours. I don't know if someone has trimmed the ends off of mine, or maybe they are just pushed upward a little bit. Have you tried that to see if they drop back down or not?
UP, the 1300 uses a agm battery, thus no drain hose.

Attachments

Last edited:
OP
OP
CYYJ

CYYJ

Michael
Bike
None any more.
STOC #
Don:

Thanks for the explanation. What is the story on the hose from the "evaporative canister"? Do you mean it is a condensate drain hose from an evaporator - does this motorcycle come with air conditioning? :D If not, what is the function of the "evaporative canister"?

On a more serious note, I took another look at the moto today (I have only had it for 3 weeks) and found a third hose, this time up near the front - does anyone know what that third hose is for? This thing has more belly drains than an aircraft.

Michael

Hose Locations (all 3 this time)

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
If I remember correctly they are fuel filler neck overflow, coolant recovery tank overflow and a drain hose from the water pump weep hole.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
If I remember correctly they are fuel filler neck overflow, coolant recovery tank overflow and a drain hose from the water pump weep hole.
+1.

The evaporative canister is filled with coal - I believe - and absorbs overflow from the tank so it doesn't drip on the ground. Emissions.

Tankereng

Site Supporter
Bike
2018 Goldwing
STOC #
+1.

The evaporative canister is filled with coal - I believe - and absorbs overflow from the tank so it doesn't drip on the ground. Emissions.
Filled with charcoal to absorb fuel vapors (aka. environmental canister) to reduce air pollution. If liquid fuel gets in it, it's ruined and can affect the engine performance.

Trimming the hose a bit shouldn't be a problem

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Filled with charcoal to absorb fuel vapors (aka. environmental canister) to reduce air pollution. If liquid fuel gets in it, it's ruined and can affect the engine performance.

Trimming the hose a bit shouldn't be a problem
Thanks! The memory is not what........ look! A squirrel !!!!

Bike
2012 ST1300A
Seems to me the only risk of cutting them short(er) is any overflow(s) will be more likely to mist onto the undercarriage.

Bike
ST1300
STOC #
+1.

None of the hoses shown are from the water pump. I assume the hose from the evap canister is a vent hose, as the manual refers to it as "canister open air hose" (ref page 1-34 in the SM. The hose nearest the front of the bike in the OP's 2nd photo is the overflow hose from the coolant recovery tank (ref page 1-39).

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles

None of the hoses shown are from the water pump. I assume the hose from the evap canister is a vent hose, as the manual refers to it as "canister open air hose" (ref page 1-34 in the SM. The hose nearest the front of the bike in the OP's 2nd photo is the overflow hose from the coolant recovery tank (ref page 1-39).
Not on my 2008, that front hose was routed straight from the water pump weep hole.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
No worries Mike I will take care of that....your preload adjuster....and your ocd inspection tomorrow night when you stop by.
Shuuuuu....nobody tip him off about my OCD inspection :rofl1:

Bike
ST1300
STOC #
[QUOTE;1809655]Like life i guess somes guys hoses hang lower than others, my problem is i need a mirror to see mine.[/QUOTE]

Would that be a full-length mirror?

Bike
2008 ST1300
STOC #
You sure got one generous dose of hose-length!
One of the first things I did to my ST was cut those hoses about 1" below the belly of the bike. The back two have a ty-wrap that keeps them together.
I figure if something comes out of them there are bigger issues then the mess on the underside!

OP
OP
CYYJ

CYYJ

Michael
Bike
None any more.
STOC #
FOUND THE CORRECT SOLUTION...

Larry (Igofar) identified the correct, military-spec solution to the hose problem when I visited him in San Jose earlier this week.

Seems that Honda has actually provided a ferrule that the hoses are supposed to route through. If the hoses are correctly routed through this ferrule, they will be held up away from the ground, and also held facing the rear of the motorcylce. The apparent extra length of the hoses allows for them to be swept aft and routed through the ferrule.

Thanks, Larry!

Correct routing of drain hoses
solves the 'extra length' problem

Top Bottom