Fork Fibre Bushing

Hi
I'm looking for some help if possible with an unlisted part.
I want to polish the front forks on my ST1300, but there is a small fibre bush that sits inside a 'lug' on the left hand fork. A steel bush sits inside the fibre bush and is part of the damping system for the brake calliper. See photo's.
My concern is I will probably damage or destroy this bush when using a buffing wheel.

I've tried to buy a couple of spare fibre bushes in readiness but they aren't in the Honda spares list.

It looks like Honda have mis-measured during manufacture and stuck what looks like a home made modification to take up the free play.

Has anybody come across this problem and managed to replace the fibre bushes with something else.
Anybody else daft enough to polish the front forks.

Cheers
Dave

Attachments

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
Not a brake damper. That is the secondary master cylinder for the linked braking. It activates your rear brake when the front brake is used.

OP
OP
Thanks for the parts diagram Mike, but No: 2 is the dust cover for the lower bush, which is I think is a needle bearing.
The bit I'm looking for sits in the small lug higher up the leg and shown on the parts diagram level with the number 2. The exploded diagram shows the lug, but no insert. I had to go and check the leg as I thought you'd got it.
The part on the bike is only visible when the calliper has been removed.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
[QUOTE;1809626]I believe IGOFAR know this one, I seem to remember it is not available by itself and is pressed into the fork during manufacture. He will confirm.[/QUOTE]

We have a winner ! You can purchase the spacer from honda....you just have to purchase the left fork lower assembly.
This is why folks should be carefull when replacing the left caliper because it is very easy to damage that spacer and cause you smc to drag.

Bike
1&2&3-2005 ST1300ABS
2024 Miles
STOC #
TransPan said:
It looks like Honda have mis-measured during manufacture and stuck what looks like a home made modification to take up the free play.
Dave,
I don't think Honda made a BooBoo, I feel this fibre bushing was installed to act as an isolator/damper. If I had to make up a temporarily one, I would use a plastic sleeve with 2 plastic or fibre washers on each side. Don't sweat it if it has few nicks out of it.
Personally, I'd buff around it and not remove it.

My bushing has a few nicks out of it, but is still useable.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Thanks All
I've also come to the conclusion that the bush is available IF you buy the lower fork to go with it.
I've managed to get the bush out of the lug, and it appears to be a fibre/ plasticised collar with a kind of brass mesh running thru it so its quite sturdy. I can now do the buffing and re insert the bush when polishing is complete. I've had a word with our local resident engineering guru, in fact he was the gent who extracted the thing. Should I need a replacement, he can make me a brass insert in two parts, that way they can be pushed in from both sides.

Again Many Thanks
Dave B

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
If the inside edge gets chewed up from trying to force yoke on...I have trimed the edges off leaving the inner bushing in place and using nylon spacers on the outside ends...but do this at your own risk....do not tamper with the brake system for safety reasons....yada yada yada..

Top Bottom