Has anyone installed a Jensen Compact Marine Radio?

st1300doug

Mmmm....this has perked my interest. I can see mounting it in the left fairing pocket. USB port and a good wattage output. Waterproof & the demo says NO electrical draw when off. It did NOT say anything about Bluetooth capability though, which would be a plus to a helmet. You thinking of in-fairing speaker install? Cost is pretty awesome too. I will be curious to what you decide??? Looks neat!

Byron

STOC #
Not the marine but I've installed the off-road radio on top of the left pocket. It's actually velcro'd on so removal is easy if necessary.

Jensen_JHD910_400.jpg

No speakers just wired into my Autocom.

Bike
ST1100
Mmmm....this has perked my interest. I can see mounting it in the left fairing pocket. USB port and a good wattage output. Waterproof & the demo says NO electrical draw when off. It did NOT say anything about Bluetooth capability though, which would be a plus to a helmet. You thinking of in-fairing speaker install? Cost is pretty awesome too. I will be curious to what you decide??? Looks neat!
After looking it up on Ebay,they have a Bluetooth version

OP
OP
jjoyce2
Bike
2005 ST1300
You guys are reading my mind BUT be careful about anything that indicates this model has Bluetooth. There's a listing for it on Amazon that indicates BT, but that's in error. My plan is to use one of those very small BT buttons that you can buy for a dollar or twenty, depending on the vendor, and use the USB connector to hook that up. (I don't think I'll want to house and protect a USB connector exposed for inserting thumbdrives...)

Yes, Doug, left fairing pocket and an install of speakers in the fairing too, that's what I'm thinking. I love to listen to the radio or music while I'm riding and this looks like just the ticket. Not sure how I'll mount it to preserve the utility of the lockable pocket door, but I'm sure ready to hear any ideas about that. I can stream music or gps from my phone, and I can keep my helmet speakers free for gps if I feel like that. I got very stuck on external speakers with my Goldwing and I like that I might be able to bring that to my ST.

There are other similar devices with built-in BT, but not the claimed output, and 160 watts may make an external amplifier unnecessary (I'm hoping so.)

Thanks for the feedback guys. Don't hesitate to offer more if you feel like it. You can never hear too much advice. (Though you can take too much advice...)

Jack

Bike
2010 ST1300
Something to think about if you mount this in a fairing pocket. Mine get quite hot after a ride of a couple of hours or more. Heat is the enemy of all things electronic - and you might just cook that radio if its body is mounted inside the pocket. Toss a thermometer inside your fairing pocket and go for a long ride. Check it out.....

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
My plan is to use one of those very small BT buttons that you can buy for a dollar or twenty, depending on the vendor, and use the USB connector to hook that up. (I don't think I'll want to house and protect a USB connector exposed for inserting thumbdrives...)
If you are referring to the BT usb adapters that are all over and available. Those will not interface with the radio and feed out audio. The adapters are for regular computers (desktop/laptop) giving them BT capability.

You'll need a BT adapter specifically made for the radio, or an audio-to-bluetooth dongle to wire in.

My guess would be the usb port on the radio is just for plugging in thumbdrives and playing back music.

OP
OP
jjoyce2
Bike
2005 ST1300
Man! This is why I posted this here!

HEAT! I can see that SMSW! I'd seen another's approach to keeping a unit in the pocket, but who knows if that one has survived . . . Thanks for that.

And I gotta just say D'oh to T_C. I should have realized that software of some sort would be necessary to exploit a BT adapter! That idea of mine nearly deserved a dope-slap.

Your idea is looking better Byron, but I'd still need amplification to drive speakers, and that 160 watts is still on my mind...

Jack

Bike
2005 BMW RT
I mounted a Jensen like this on a past ST. If remember correctly I used a ram ball to mount the radio in front of me. It was easy to operate with the radio where it could be easily seen. The ram ball attached with no additional modification.

Bike
2003 GL1800A
Sir,
'in front of me' .. would than be ram ball on the dash .. or ram ball on clutch/brake reservoir ???
Thank you,
RM
I mounted a Jensen like this on a past ST. If remember correctly I used a ram ball to mount the radio in front of me. It was easy to operate with the radio where it could be easily seen. The ram ball attached with no additional modification.

Bike
2005 BMW RT
The Ram ball was mounted on a riser, but a Ram ball on the clutch/brake reservoir would work.
If you have a dash mounted Ram ball that would work also.
Sir,
'in front of me' .. would than be ram ball on the dash .. or ram ball on clutch/brake reservoir ???
Thank you,
RM

Top Bottom