First impression C14 vs ST1300

jduff8505

RDIV3.14
Bike
2007 ST1300
STOC #
Earlier this year I sold my ST, it was time to move on.

Yesterday I picked up a 2011 C14, and here are some of the +/- impressions I have so far.

+ It feels much lighter and snappy on the road with regards to how it's CG is distributed.
+ it came standard with heated grips. (I added heated grips to my ST) I'll never own a bike without them again.
+ The rider information center is a backlit LCD screen instead of the orange LED screen. It is very visible and clear at night, and also very clear in daylight sun.
+ The riding position is more like a sportbike than a cruiser (my preferred position YMMV)
+ The pegs are a little more aggressive giving a more positive attachment of me to the bike.
+ Narrower in the seat allowing me to tuck in and hug the bike also giving me more positive attachment.
+ Windshield returns to lowest height when bike is turned off.

- smaller tank
- Smaller windshield
- MPG slightly lower
- No Jetson's space craft sound
- Not a Honda

All in all, I lay this switch on Mother Honda for blatantly refusing to upgrade any creature comforts on the ST except the price tag. Had they listened to the ST owners, I would be riding a 2011 ST instead of the C14.

This is just one man's opinion on this matter, and either bike you may choose is extremely well built.

Jeff

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Earlier this year I sold my ST, it was time to move on.

Yesterday I picked up a 2011 C14, and here are some of the +/- impressions I have so far.

+ It feels much lighter and snappy on the road with regards to how it's CG is distributed.
+ it came standard with heated grips. (I added heated grips to my ST) I'll never own a bike without them again.
+ The rider information center is a backlit LCD screen instead of the orange LED screen. It is very visible and clear at night, and also very clear in daylight sun.
+ The riding position is more like a sportbike than a cruiser (my preferred position YMMV)
+ The pegs are a little more aggressive giving a more positive attachment of me to the bike.
+ Narrower in the seat allowing me to tuck in and hug the bike also giving me more positive attachment.
+ Windshield returns to lowest height when bike is turned off.

- smaller tank
- Smaller windshield
- MPG slightly lower
- No Jetson's space craft sound
- Not a Honda

All in all, I lay this switch on Mother Honda for blatantly refusing to upgrade any creature comforts on the ST except the price tag. Had they listened to the ST owners, I would be riding a 2011 ST instead of the C14.

This is just one man's opinion on this matter, and either bike you may choose is extremely well built.

Jeff
You, like many others are switching brands due to lack of Honda getting on with updating the ST1300.

I hope you enjoy your new ride!

As for me, I have no plans to change any time in the future. When I find something that fits me well, I stick with it and I really don't care what Mother Honda does or doesn't do! The good thing for me is that there are many low mileage ST1300s out there, so when I finish off one, I'll just get another. But for now, I'll just have to stick with the three I have! ;)

Besides not being V4s, one of the biggest issues I have with the C14 is the W-I-D-E saddlebags! I just feel that for my commute through traffic ( and I mean through - lane splitting) those bags would cut down on my ability to zip through many of the really tight spots I go through! :eek:4:

Enjoy your new C14!

STDaveNW

Dave
Bike
2004 ST1300
STOC #
I have my 04 ST1300, I HAD a 2012 C14.
I had them both at the same time. I felt kind of bored with the ST and wanted something more aggressive.
I loved the TC, TPMS, and all the cool stuff on the C14. I liked that the bike was more modifiable.
I did not like the brakes. I did not like that the bike was trying to throw my off all the time.
The C14 is kind of beasty and rough where the ST is smooth and consistent and might even be faster thru the corners for that very reason.
Others may feel different and mabie I've gotten to the age where a bit boring is good. ;)
Everyone has a riding style that fits them but If my ST gets run over (in a parking lot) I don't think I would be getting another C14.
But... C14 has great value for dollar spent.
Dave

okckeith

Site Supporter
Bike
2017 Triumph Trophy
Congrats Jeff! Seems everyone's getting tired of waiting on Honda to give us a new bike we want. I've had my 07 almost 8 yrs now. I still love my bike. But I am starting to get the itch for a new one. I like the new FJR. But I'm sure looking hard at a new RT.

Congrats Jeff! Seems everyone's getting tired of waiting on Honda to give us a new bike we want. I've had my 07 almost 8 yrs now. I still love my bike. But I am starting to get the itch for a new one. I like the new FJR. But I'm sure looking hard at a new RT.
Why go second class....get the Beemer :D

Bike
GL1800
Looks to be a solid choice ...let us know how it works out. Another ST alternative and I looked at the latest update to the C14 at the show. Interesting vent now has been added to the shield among other changes for the 2015 model.
https://flic.kr/p/q4TDet DD

Last edited:
I'm still trying to convince myself I want to gamble on reliability. I hope they got the RT right. Cause I sure want one.
Stop reading to much into these forums about bikes, if you do you'll never buy another bike. Do what your heart & gut tells you to do. These things are only steel & plastic.

Bike
2005 ST1300
Stop reading to much into these forums about bikes, if you do you'll never buy another bike. Do what your heart & gut tells you to do. These things are only steel & plastic.
Funny things, bikes, almost any brand fits almost any person at any given time, but that doesn't mean that all brands fit all people all the time. Pick what FEELS right to you! If not you're bound to be unhappy no matter what brand it is.:D:dr13: I'd love to own an RT, but BMRs don't fit me the way my ST does.

Bike
2020 BMW S1000XR
STOC #
I got my C1400 this year and really like it.

Made a few changes; Seth Laam seat, tinted Cee Bailey screen, lowered the rear suspension with a Muzzy lowering kit, and installed Pirelli Angel GT tires. Went to a 190 55 on the back and it really improved the handling. I plan on a few more changes over the winter.

I do agree with your list of positive and negative issues with the C1400.

Still have my St1100 but there is no comparison.

Bytown Bandit.

Last edited:
OP
OP
jduff8505

jduff8505

RDIV3.14
Bike
2007 ST1300
STOC #
I was really looking at moving to the ZX14R, however the versatility is not there on the long hauls. This bike scratches that itch.

Top Bottom