uncharted territory u-joint replacement

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
In all my years of wrenching I have never needed to replace a drive shaft u joint....well I guess that has changed.
My 07 st1300 with only 65k started displaying signs of u joint failure. Started as a minor vibration, then a slight hesitation when letting out the clutch, to a slight klunk when you spin the rear wheel just before it stops...
Ordered the parts and tools and am getting ready to dive in. Any helpful tips, warnings or words of caution before I start?
If anyone local has replaced one already and would like to watch me fumble my way through it for the first and hopefully last time, feel free to contact me on the white courtesy :call:
I guess I should cut back on all the wheelies :rofl1:

Last edited:
Bike
2018 NC750X
STOC #
Re: uncharted territory

You can do it, Larry! I've had the drive shaft out of an 1100 before, but not the 1300. Not that complicated with the swing arm flange nut tool. Take a few pictures and let us know how it goes. You may have a student next summer...

ScubaDave

Site Supporter
Bike
st 1300
STOC #
Its not that hard, done it 2 times. If you don't remove the exhaust sensors in the Y pipe just be careful not to brake the wires. You can do it without removing them. You just won't be able to drop the swingarm out all the way, but just far enough to get the U joint out.

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Larry, give us a blow by blow report with lots of pictures. I'll be doing the same to my commuter '04 after I get the project bike on the road!

I'm replacing all the o-rings and seals on the back of the engine, along with replacing the swing arm and u-joint!

Good luck!

Bike
'16 Versys 650LT
STOC #

bdalameda

PaleoCyclist
Bike
Africa Twin
Hi Larry

I got your message you left for me. It's not a difficult job though it takes a little while. Just follow the manual and you won't have any problems. I recommend installing the rubber boot/ bellows on the swingarm before re-installing the swingarm into the frame and lubricating the inside of the bellows so it will slip on the flange on the transmission. There is little or no access to this rubber boot to put the boot on the swingarm after it is installed. In most cases the boot if installed on the swingarm first will slip right on the flange if it is lubricated and this will save you a lot of frustration.

Dan

Bike
2004 ST1300/XR650L
STOC #
I recommend installing the rubber boot/ bellows on the swingarm before re-installing the swingarm into the frame and lubricating the inside of the bellows so it will slip on the flange on the transmission. There is little or no access to this rubber boot to put the boot on the swingarm after it is installed. In most cases the boot if installed on the swingarm first will slip right on the flange if it is lubricated and this will save you a lot of frustration.
Good idea!! I had to replace the output shaft seal on my 04 and trying to put the boot back onto the swing arm was the hardest part. This sounds like a better way to do it.

Dennis

Bike
'16 Versys 650LT
STOC #
Last edited:
Top Bottom