Right side bulb goes out more often?

richpeabody

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100
STOC #
yes
Hi
I have replaced the right headlight bulb on my ST 1100 three times, to ZERO for the left....did Mr. Honda perform some electrical voodoo that it has occurred that way?
Just curious.
Have fun!

STOC #
Re: Is it only me?

What type/brand of bulbs are you using? There is a class action lawsuit involving Sylvania Silver Star bulbs ($10 rebate). Do you know enough not to touch the glass part? Leaving fingerprints on them will shorten the life.

CYYJ

Michael
Bike
None any more.
STOC #
Re: Is it only me?

Hi Rich:

Take a close look at the connector that attaches to the bulb. If any part of the connector is loose, corroded, or otherwise not making good contact with the tabs on the bulb, a lot of heat will be generated. This heat can result in premature bulb failure. I encountered this problem on my ST 1100, and eventually had to replace both of the connectors on the motorcycle wiring harness.

Michael

Bigmak96

R.I.P. - 2021/08/07
Rest In Peace
Bike
04 GL1800 Past tense
STOC #
To keep the bulbs from firing up until the bike is running, hold the starter button in when you turn your key. That may or may not make the difference, but they don't have that momentary "ON" that way.

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
I used "wonder bulbs" from automotive suppliers only briefly, and switched back to the motorcycle specific, shockproof ones offered at my Honda dealer, with significantly more rigid filament and support.

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
For 20 years now, used only H4 bulbs 55/60W bought from the local Honda automotive dealer. Never had one burn out, but I have replaced them after five or so years. I'm sure Honda doesn't make them, but they seem to be a quality item.

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
To the OP's question:

No, I haven't had one side or the other burn out more frequently on any of the 4 ST1100s we have owned.

Bigmak96

R.I.P. - 2021/08/07
Rest In Peace
Bike
04 GL1800 Past tense
STOC #
I had never lost one on any of my 1100s either, I wonder if it is a 1300 problem.

OP
OP
richpeabody

richpeabody

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100
STOC #
yes
Hi...Thanks
It's an 1100...I replaced the first with a HD "motorcycle" unit I guess it lasted a year or so.....then replaced with a 100w bulb from NAPA (I know that it isn't a whole lot brighter, but every little bit helps...I'm old. The NAPA piece lasted almost 2 years.
This time I ordered up a pair of PIA 100 watt high beams off of eBay....$5.99 total shipped to the house! Came in a week.....

I have run a modulator on the left high beam since I got the bike about 5 years ago....same bulb....

Have fun!

Bike
ST1300/GSX1300R
For 20 years now, used only H4 bulbs 55/60W bought from the local Honda automotive dealer. Never had one burn out, but I have replaced them after five or so years. I'm sure Honda doesn't make them, but they seem to be a quality item.
They're 'Stanley' brand. That may be a supplier or a Honda owned company, they make motorcycle specific bulbs, probably in Japan. I had trouble with the tail lights until I got them from Honda East. They cost a little more but haven't burned our in a year and a half.

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
...then replaced with a 100w bulb from NAPA (I know that it isn't a whole lot brighter, but every little bit helps...I'm old. The NAPA piece lasted almost 2 years.
Methinks that if you want a reliable, long term improvement you should opt for a EC-spec headlight assy (continental, not British ;-))
Its lens-cut features a RHS upward-kick on the LOW beam, illuminating the right shoulder almost twice as far as the left (towards the road centre/oncoming traffic) and is originally designed for 55/60W H4 bulbs, so no fuss with adaptor rings, etc...
Riding 1100s since '92 I still think the light is amazing, running both bulbs gives a brilliant LOW beam pattern at night, hitting HIGH once having passed the door-mirror while overtaking a car at night on a lonely rural road often makes me chuckle... there shall be light... zing! :lol:

Don't think that race type 100W bulbs are ideal, the heat can dull the reflector, overheat the lamp base/socket and the increased current might fry the connectors and cabling (+ the increased load on the genny & VRR)... they also age way quicker, vaporized metal from the filament starts tinting the glass tube, etc...

After many riders were "glooming" in forums over premium +30% bulbs in the earl '00s, I thought I give them a try... once...
Upon removing the OEM standard bulbs from my '92 I realized that they had served me flawlessly since day one... by then for over a decade...
At night while riding home with those +30% thingies installed, I noticed an uncomfortable glare from the wet road surface ahead...
And that the first of those special bulbs already blew within only two weeks of usage, did it then for me... back to the rugged bike spec "standard" 55/60W types, which just refuse to fail...
Had them in my previous '92 ST, and run them in my current '03 and '94 STs... no issues at all...

CYYJ

Michael
Bike
None any more.
STOC #
Methinks that if you want a reliable, long term improvement you should opt for a EC-spec headlight assy (continental, not British ;-))
Hi Martin:

I agree with you in principle. For sure, the beam pattern on the European headlight is far more sensible than the beam pattern on the North American headlight.

But, there are a few snags to refitting the EC headlight. First is the cost, it is very expensive to procure a new EC headlight. Buying used might solve that problem.

Second, the North American spec ST 1100s are designed to run with both bulbs (left and right) illuminated when in either the low beam or high beam mode. The European headlight is designed to operate with only one of the two lamps illuminated when in the low beam mode. Hence, even though the EC headlight has a better beam pattern (more practical placement of the light output), it will throw less light out during low beam operation because only one bulb will be illuminated. Not to mention that some fairly complex re-wiring will be needed to fit a EC headlamp to a North American bike (to prevent the second lamp from illuminating when the low beam mode is selected).

Michael

Bike
2002 ST1100A
STOC #
Ok weird....noticed today that the right headlight on my ST1100 went out! You jinx me! LOL.

I thinking of going the shims and 55/60 swap out route.

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
The European headlight is designed to operate with only one of the two lamps illuminated when in the low beam mode.
Objection Michael,

the EC spec headlight is not designed for one low bulb only, in fact does the lens cut fully support both low beams being activated.

Its only that in the 80ies/90ies some EC nations had obscure local regulations by which motorcycles weren't supposed to have more then 55W output on the LOW beam; in order to follow those local regs, Honda simply omitted 8" of wire to comply...
From '96 on (due to alignments in preparation for the EC) this regulation got dropped, thus from then on all ST1100 came with both low beams wired, whilst using the same headlight assy then the '90 to '95 models.

Top Bottom