Weather

Bike
2004, ST 1300
Hi All,
From this side of the pond it looks like you lot in the states are getting it rough at the moment.
Hope everyone is ok and that this will be the worst of the winter. Jim.

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Boy are you right about that! We had a storm blow through last night! I had to leave about 15 minutes late for work to make sure I didn't have to ride out in it! :eek:4:

I did get a few sprinkles on my faceshield though. :)

Now, as far as most of the rest of the US...you could say some parts are getting hammered by the really COLD stuff! And others getting a bunch of that white stuff! :eek:4:

Bike
2014 FJR ES 2009 WEE
and that this will be the worst of the winter. Jim.
Here in the US winter does not start until December 21, the shortest day of the year......we have a month to go before it starts....this is just the pre-season...and yes, it does suck............ff

Bike
ST1100
Hi All,
From this side of the pond it looks like you lot in the states are getting it rough at the moment.
Hope everyone is ok and that this will be the worst of the winter. Jim.[/QUOTE

It makes us appreciate here in Ireland what a great little country we live in apart from the financial situation.No hurricanes,no tornados,no earthquakes,no volcanos,no extreme heat,no extreme cold.Great scenery and even better Guinness and Jameson.Able to ride our bikes all year round.We have a lot to be thankful for on our little Island.Stay safe across the pond. Pat

CYYJ

Michael
Bike
None any more.
STOC #
I've been watching the weather in the USA pretty carefully, because I am in California now and need to get back to Toronto in the next 7 days. That will be a 3,500 mile ride via Tucson, Houston, Alabama, and Nashville (I need to ride a semicircular route through Texas to stay out of the snow and ice in the middle of the continent).

So far, the weather has been OK - below freezing for a few days when I rode along the Mexico border last week, and it's been OK here in California.

I did get to experience my first earthquake, though, while staying at a hotel in Hollister, CA. It was a 4.2. California residents will probably laugh at that, but for a Canadian who has never experienced an earthquake before, it was quite entertaining.

Tomorrow, I set out on the long haul back to Toronto... wish me luck.

Michael

My souvenir of California
it's the red square - I was to the right, in Hollister

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
Have a safe and warm trip back. Glad you got to feel the earth move under your feet in California!! :D

I've been watching the weather in the USA pretty carefully, because I am in California now and need to get back to Toronto in the next 7 days. That will be a 3,500 mile ride via Tucson, Houston, Alabama, and Nashville (I need to ride a semicircular route through Texas to stay out of the snow and ice in the middle of the continent).

So far, the weather has been OK - below freezing for a few days when I rode along the Mexico border last week, and it's been OK here in California.

I did get to experience my first earthquake, though, while staying at a hotel in Hollister, CA. It was a 4.2. California residents will probably laugh at that, but for a Canadian who has never experienced an earthquake before, it was quite entertaining.

Tomorrow, I set out on the long haul back to Toronto... wish me luck.

Michael

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
Take your time going back to Toronto. Snow expected in the upper Midwest on Monday and hanging around moving east through Friday before finally moving out past Buffalo on Saturday (as if they don't have enough already). You should stay across the southern states until Friday before heading northerly through Indiana or Ohio after that and hope the plows have been able to clear the roads by Saturday. I'm sure some areas won't be a problem but others...
Here in Iowa we'll be done with this round by Thursday morning but the snow will likely still be falling around the lakes until Saturday morning. If you're around mid Indiana or southern Ohio on Friday morning you could possibly rank in the top 5 on the Coldest Ride Contest if you start off soon enough. Looks like a low of 19*F in Indianapolis and 21*F in Cincinnati.

Per the NWS at www.weather.gov

OP
OP
Bike
2004, ST 1300
Here in the US winter does not start until December 21, the shortest day of the year......we have a month to go before it starts....this is just the pre-season...and yes, it does suck............ff
Having seen on the TV pictures of what it is like in Buffalo at the moment, I hate to think of what it is going to be like in another month. I wish you all well and keep safe. Jim.

CYYJ

Michael
Bike
None any more.
STOC #
Take your time going back to Toronto.
I wish I could, but I have to be in Sudan at the end of next week (sort of got called out of retirement to solve a problem) - that means I need to be back in Toronto by next Monday. That's about 3,000 miles from here by a southerly route, then north from Alabama.

I got a good start today, rode from San Jose CA to Blythe, which is on the border between CA and AZ. Hope to make it to El Paso tomorrow.

I understand that this coming Thursday is a big holiday in the USA - what effect will that have on traffic and hotel availability? Will gas stations still be open along the interstate roadways?

Michael

the Ferret

Daily rider since May 1965
Bike
21 NC750 14 CB1100
2024 Miles
No prob with gas stations at least near major population centers, and I imagine there will be plenty of hotel rooms. A lot of people travel for Thanksgiving, but it's usually either day trip to see family or stay with family. Weather this week in southern Ohio after tomorrow is lows in low 20 s highs near 40 and very slight chance of snow flurries on T hursday. Most of last weeks snow is gone and major roads are spotless, secondary roads could have some wet spots and overnight slick spots on overpasses. As I type, Its 6 am Sunday here in Cincinnati and 50 degrees right now headed for 58 and 55 tomorrow but rain both days.

Safe travels

Bike
2006 ST1300
Good luck on your trip home! The weather will be a bit crazy all over this week. I was hoping to ride south next weekend but the forecast for northern Florida shows temps close to what we are experiencing here in NH! Unless things change for the better in the next several days I'll be right here at home for the weekend. I'm not riding 1000+ miles just to sit on a COLD beach! LOL.

Top Bottom