WANTED: Dimensions, drawings, detailed pictures of SPEAKER BOXES

Bike
2005 ST1300
I think I'm gonna need to make speaker boxes, and I'm fishing now for detailed photos, drawings, dimensions, hearty descriptions - anything that will let me make a couple of effective speaker boxes for in-fairing mounts for speakers.

Can anybody point me in the right direction or a link to drawings, plans, etc for these?

Thanks,

Jack

CYYJ

Michael
Bike
None any more.
STOC #
Jack:

Not sure if this will help you or not, but below is a picture of a Honda OEM speaker box, and an illustration of the two from the Honda parts catalog. The third picture is, I believe, a picture of the OEM speaker box installed on a ST 1300, but I am not absolutely certain of that.

Michael

Last edited:
OP
OP
jjoyce2
Bike
2005 ST1300
That's very helpful. Thank you.

In my dream world, I'd be able to make a pair of these before I even remove the dash cover. I'm getting much closer with these. Thanks.

J

Bike
2005 BMW RT
Beware installation of the speaker boxes makes it difficult to install CC-100 cruise control.

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
No dimensions but the installation instructions for the OEM kit:
Apparently the enclosures get mounted onto plates welded to the sub-frame beams holding the rear-views.
According to the manual are rubber well-nuts (ans known from windscreen installation) used to hold the enclosures to the frame as well as for fixing the speaker chassis in them; due this they have no direct connection/mounting towards the dash/speaker grille (makes sense, as it ingeniously prevents audible vibrations/resonance during playback), seems you'll need 12 in total, plus the M5 bolts for them.

So once you've snatched boxes of usable size, you will first need to hold them into place with the dash-panel in place(!) to determine a) the location of the two bores holding them on the plate of the sub frame and b) align the larger bore for the speakers with the openings/speaker grilles of the dash-panel; all with clearance so nothing starts to vibrate due the "oomp" of the speakers ;-)

From what I can make out the speakers are of 100mm/4" basket size; OEM were wideband speakers, you might opt for 2-way coax though (but don't expect much bass from a 4" cone though...) which bears the risk of dust collecting in the gap for the coil... (if you're fancy you might opt for a 2-way set with aux tweeters, which ensures a closed mid-bass cone, but challenges with the then required placement of the tweeter...)

I'd estimate that the dimensions of the casings (orientation when installed in the bike) for being about: 150x100x50mm / 6"x4"x2" (H/W/D)

My work-flow on this would be:
- get appropriate, well made, open (no moulded-on grille!) marine type 2-way coax speakers, preferable in black so nothing peeks through the speaker grilles (always good to have the real thing in hand for the fitments)
- make cardboard boxes with those 6x4x2" as a template, at least two for left and right; might need more to compensate initial D&D errors ;-)
- undress your ST1300, but put the dash panel back in place
- start holding your cardboard boxes into the designated installation places to get your live measurements and clearances required, modify your cardboard dummies accordingly
- cut the 4" openings, insert the speakers and check the installation spaces again
- once you've established your final design, hop into car, rush to RadioShack/alike to obtain the desired plastic housings, also in black if avail (or give them a shot with a rattle-can prior final installation)
- start drilling and cutting, use fancy language, trash unsuccessful builds, rush back to RadioShack for replacements, etc... ;-)

Once everything is detailed and fitting properly, I'd seal the speaker chassis towards the rim of the casing bores; weather resistant foam-strips or sealant (nothing permanent like epoxy as some dayou might need to replace them speakers...)
I'd include a rubber grommet for the wiring exit and also place a bore (15~20mm/0.6~0.6") into the bottom of the enclosures, to provide a) a drain opening and b) a "vent" for the (air)movement of the speaker cone as their normally designed for much larger volumes.

Finally: cover the whole she-bang with lots of photos and post a report on ze forum ;-)

OP
OP
jjoyce2
Bike
2005 ST1300
Thank you very much ST1100Y! That's extremely helpful to me. I can foresee what I'll need to deal with now and get started before peeling the dash off. Thanks very much for that.

Jack

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
in that two short years the boxes have disappeared from parts dealers inventories. I may have a line on ONE, but we'll see. And the price has risen too on that possible one... no surprise there. Who knows what a pair is worth right now.

Jack
So I have to ask... why? In helmet audio is reasonably priced, more efficient and practical at getting sound to you over a full range of speed, and in-helmet always you to have a mic for talkback purposes. Not to mention you are not taking a quiet bike and making it loud with audio.

So why have in dash speaker?

OP
OP
jjoyce2
Bike
2005 ST1300
Well, I've become very accustomed to dash speakers and have enjoyed them for years. I can see the issues with engine noise that I never experienced with other bikes (all water cooled and muffled) 'cause this 1300 is a whiner. I may learn the hard way that it just doesn't work on this bike, but I plan to find out.

I hope it works because I prefer the external speakers to inside-the-helmet, but we'll see...

Jack

Top Bottom