Center stand spring help

Bike
2007 ST1300A
After hitting some object on the freeway both springs were tore off and the hook is slightly bent and broken. I will weld the hook part back where it should be.

I have the new springs and can see the one location on the left side where one of the springs go, but I do not see where the other would attach.

Does anybody have a diagram or picture of how both springs should be? Are they both attached at the same point?

The center stand is currently being held up with bailing wire. Which is not cool. Just received the springs yesterday and would like to fix this.

Bike
ST1300
STOC #
See if the attached photos will do you any good. The photo of the side stand was taken with the stand partially deployed so both ends of the spring are visible, the attachment points should be obvious, I think. The centerstand spring is attached at one end to a tab on the CS, the other end through a hole in a small steel plate behind the center of the CS pivot point. I've attached two photos, one with flash, the other w/o, hopefully between the two of them it will be apparent how it's attached. Attaching the spring will be a challenge; you'll need to do it with the bike parked on the side stand and the CS supported in the fully raised position where the spring will have the least tension on it. It will be awkward attaching it, and potentially dangerous if you're not careful how you stretch the spring to attach it. Use of a Vice Grips is highly recommended.

Attachments

Last edited:

BakerBoy

It's all small stuff.
STOC #
I have this one picture showing the top end of the springs, connected into the 'Main Stand Spring Plate'. The springs are concentric (one inside the other).

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
Tip for attaching the spring - if you don't already know:

Get a bunch of flat washers, or pennies will do, and insert them between each coil of the spring, (going one side to the other side keeps it fairly straight) and then attach the spring more easily once it is expanded. Then pull out the washers.

Bike
ST1300
STOC #

Get a bunch of flat washers, or pennies will do, and insert them between each coil of the spring, (going one side to the other side keeps it fairly straight) and then attach the spring more easily once it is expanded. Then pull out the washers.
Thanks for the tip. I'll have to try to remember that if I ever have to replace one of those again. Last time I replaced the spring on a CS was on my '81 GS850G long. long time ago. That replacement was due to having to replace a bent centerstand as a result of a traffic accident. Can't imagine how 1dragon lost the spring(s) on the freeway from hitting something - wondering if he came down too hard doing a wheely...

Bike
ST1300A2
See if the attached photos will do you any good. The photo of the side stand was taken with the stand partially deployed so both ends of the spring are visible, the attachment points should be obvious, I think. The centerstand spring is attached at one end to a tab on the CS, the other end through a hole in a small steel plate behind the center of the CS pivot point. I've attached two photos, one with flash, the other w/o, hopefully between the two of them it will be apparent how it's attached. Attaching the spring will be a challenge; you'll need to do it with the bike parked on the side stand and the CS supported in the fully raised position where the spring will have the least tension on it. It will be awkward attaching it, and potentially dangerous if you're not careful how you stretch the spring to attach it. Use of a Vice Grips is highly recommended.
What's the little bell for ?

Bug Dr.

Extroverted Loner
Not sure if it will work for the ST......but....... I've seen a guy put on the spring for his center stand by using a one inch piece of nylon webbing. He hooked one end of the spring to the bike and tied one end of the webbing to the other end of the spring. He laid the webbing down on the ground behind the front wheel and rolled his bike backwards until he had stretched the spring far enough to slip over the center stand. It worked great and only took a few seconds......and no cursing or bloody knuckles.
Mike

Bike
2003 Honda ST1300

Get a bunch of flat washers, or pennies will do, and insert them between each coil of the spring, (going one side to the other side keeps it fairly straight) and then attach the sprimore easily once it is expanded. Then pull out the washers.
Thanks for that info i would never have thought of that I have struggled with springs many times. I will remember this tip.

OP
OP
Bike
2007 ST1300A
Thank you so much guys! I believe I've also lost that top plate where the springs attach. I'll have to Look this weekend. Happy Thanksgiving everybody!

Top Bottom