ST1100 Front Turn Signal Problems

Bike
ST1300 (2004)
STOC #
Hello, I hope someone can help me with what I hope is a simple problem:

I know very little about the electrical side of my 2000 ST1100, and I'm having problems with an intermittent left turn signal. Here are the symptoms:

-left turn signal only sometimes works when switched.
-left bulb burns brighter than right side when running steady on (i.e.not signaling).
-Left turn indicator on dash stays lit up solid yellow.
-the flashing bulb works best when I push/turn it in half-way.

I imagine it is something to do with the switch or relay as opposed to the bulb, which is brand new.
Any help would be much appreciated. It may be something obvious, but I learn as I go...:)

Thanks! Michael

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Michael - Do the Canadian ST1100s have hazard flasher? (The Brits one do). If so, see if you get 'equal' flash using them. If so, then my guess would be the switch. If the right blinker works normally, then it probably would not be the flasher. If you pop the mirror off, you can get right to the flasher wires with a test light to make user that is up to spec.

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
Did you install the wrong type of new bulb? It should be a dual filament bulb. One filament is the turn flasher, the other is for the always on running filament.

Avtrician

The indicator switch may be a bit grungy inside, and needs a clean up. That will give you intermittent indictors. A clean out with contact cleaner and relube with litium grease should fix the problem

Bike
'98 ST1100
STOC #
The indicator switch may be a bit grungy inside, and needs a clean up. That will give you intermittent indictors. A clean out with contact cleaner and relube with litium grease should fix the problem
+1 on above. Get some electrical contact cleaner from your hardware store or Radio Shack. Try cleaning by not disassembling switch. Just spray the cleaner liberally into the switch and then work it. Do this a few times and then see how the turn signal works. If that does the trick, then give it a shot of WD40 to lube the inside of the switch.

If the above doesn't make a difference, you may have a bad connection inside the bulb connector. Did you check for corrosion in the socket and two contacts inside the bulb socket before replacing the bulb ??

Bike
92 ST1100
+2 on cleaning switch contact assembly. WD40 works "in a pinch, but is NOT a good lubricant and IS corrosive to metal contacts;).
De-Oxit is an excellent electrical contact cleaner, then a dob of dielectic grease on internal switch assembly will keep it operating correctly:).

OP
OP
michaelbryant
Bike
ST1300 (2004)
STOC #
Thank you to everyone for your input. I haven't had a chance to work on the bike yet, but I'll take all your tips with gratitude, and see what I can do.

Bike
'98 ST1100
STOC #
+2 on cleaning switch contact assembly. WD40 works "in a pinch, but is NOT a good lubricant and IS corrosive to metal contacts;).
Good point !! Don't use regular WD40. But BTW, WD40 also makes a contact cleaner and it's safe for plastics.

WD40 Contact cleaner.png

OP
OP
michaelbryant
Bike
ST1300 (2004)
STOC #
Who was the really smart guy who asked me if I had the right bulb in?! :bow1: D'oh!! I had a rear signal light in the front with only the one filament. Now that was easy! The shop gave me one for free after my red face went away...I guess since I'm buying a set of new tires, and getting my steering head bearings done, a $2 bulb is a gimme.

So thanks to Bush for the oh-so clever solution!! And thanks to everyone else for their input, which is still really useful to me as general knowledge.

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
Glad to help Michael. The clue was when you said "the flashing bulb works best when I push/turn it in half-way." This told me that the contact base was different than the original bulb.

Last edited:
Top Bottom