I shall christen her "Xochitl"!

Bike
2003 ST1300A
Folks. I've been a member for about 2 months, but have only been an actual ST owner for about two weeks. Because NO ABS was a deal breaker for me and I was on a very tight limited budget, it took some time to finally find a Silver 2003 with ABS. But I had to make the drive from Metro Phoenix to Orange County, CA to pick her up. Here are some thoughts about my buying experience, ownership, and riding so far in no particular order.

1.) I had not ridden a motorcycle at all since college, about 18 years ago. My friend, who rides a Kawasaki Voyager 1700, nearly convinced me that I would be skilled enough to make the 400 mile trek from Southern California to Gilbert, AZ since I had ridden fairly consistently for 7 years in my youth. Thank God I did not listen. It cost me $500 to rent a truck and trailer and buy gas. But the peace of mind that I got from the $500 expense was priceless!

2.) When I got the bike home, I, of course could not resist taking it out for a spin around the neighborhood. It felt heavy and it lurched and bucked violently in first and second gear. It was even a bit to handle in 3rd gear! I literally only rode it for about 3 miles and I was too intimidated and overwhelmed to continue riding. So I swallowed my pride and took the MSF course for beginners about three days later. Holy snicker doodle! I got back on the ST afterwards and it was as though 150 lbs had come off of it! Technique really is a HUGE factor in riding this thing! I have since taken it on about 60 mile trips with very little highway stints. I am still not completely comfortable on it, but I am not petrified to get on it like I was before the MSF course. That friction zone is your best friend.

3.) At 60 -70 mph, it feels "flighty", if that makes any sense to you guys. Almost like the tires want to come off the ground. Like it is floating. Maybe I'll get use to it, but it feels like I don't have enough traction, which is unnerving.

4.) Low speed maneuvers are a PITA. But this may be a "getting acquainted" issue. Plenty of friction zone practice is needed in these low speed maneuvers. Second gear seems to be less jerky when practicing these.

5.) Some days I feel like I have acquired a lot of skill and other days I feel like I am regressing. Today, for example, I had a really hard time coming to a smooth stop at red lights as I put my left foot down. I am 5'5" with a 27 ish inseam. But I am actually surprised that it doesn't feel heavier when I am holding up its weight with my left foot.

6.) If you're patient and you're willing to travel a bit, you can get a good deal on an ST. I picked this one up for $3800 + $500 or so to get her home. She has 89200 or so miles on her. She came with a top box, handlebar risers, and a cramp buster thingy-mabob that I have no idea how to use. The guy I purchased it from was super nice and actually texted me the next day to make sure I had gotten home safely. I ensured that the title was clean and in his name before I made the trip. He even posted Youtube videos of a walk around of the bike for me. If he represents the attitude of all ST owners, then they are a stand up bunch.

7.) My clutch hand hurts and cramps up. I don't remember having that problem when I use to ride in my twenties. And I have to let the clutch out quite a bit before it starts to engage.

8.) I want to get into the ATGATT habit, but having bought the bike first, I am still accruing the funds to buy the rest of the gear. So far I have purchased a Kabuto helmet, which the salesmen convinced me that it is directly below Shoei for quality--SNELL and DOT stamped, a pair of Wolverine work boots that cover my ankles but are not steal toed, a pair of motorcycle leather gloves that are armored. I still need to buy an armored jacket and pants. I am thinking Tourmaster or Olympia.

9.) Overall I am ecstatic about the purchase. I love the camaraderie of other motorcyclist who wave as they pass. I even had a motorcycle policeman on an ST1300P wave.

That's all folks. Any advice, comments, wisdom is greatly appreciated.

Terson

Last edited:
Bike
ST1300/GSX1300R
So far it sounds like you're doing well. Just don't get in a hurry and take time to get in shape to ride. The more you ride the easier it becomes, you get better at handling the bike. As for equipment a good helmet and 'leather' gloves, which you have are a good start. I bought a leather 'shirt-jac' garment from leatherup.com. It's not armored but is made of leather and the price was right. I got a Firstgear mesh jacket for warm weather riding here in Florida, from Revzilla.com. For pants I really like Duluth Trading pants.
The only thing about helmets is that a better helmet is nicer inside, but most any will protect your head, and even the nice ones I'd only crash once.
:capwin:

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Terson,

Welcome aboard! Thanks for sharing your experiences so far. Like you I was a re-entry rider with riding experience as a youth then a long hiatus until 2005. After several bikes in quick succession I ended up with a 2005 ST1300 in Feb. 2006 which is still in my garage 147,xxx miles later. I'm glad you took the MSF course and hope you continue to take riding courses as you build experience. I don't know what they call it now but MSF has an experienced rider course that might boost skills and confidence to another level in a few months from now.

I'm also much like you in stature (5'6" 29" inseam) and I was determined not to let the heavy ST master me. I found an empty parking lot near my house and several nights a week after work I would go over there and practice full-lock circles and U-turns in the friction zone. To go really slow we have to drag the rear brake against the throttle. Don't be afraid to go really, really slow. The ST drops really well - the tip over wings get scuffed up but nothing else touches the ground in a walking speed drop. I bought several tip over wing covers in the process but mastering slow speed work gave me the confidence to ride my ST anywhere into any parking situation. These friction zone drills will also cure dealing the herky-jerky on-off off idle low rpm throttle response the ST has. With saddle time you will master the fine motor skills that also translate into skillful cornering at fast speeds where we have to pick up or sneak in throttle very slowly at corner exits as not to upset the suspension. Anyone can pin the throttle and go really fast on the open road but a really good rider can be spotted in the parking lot.

Yes, the ST is "nervous" on the highway. Not to worry, they all do it to some degree. Depending on the tires you have and the way the suspension is set up it may do it more or less than another ST1300. I view it as a consequence of Honda's steep fork angle and sportbike steering geometry combined with less than perfect aerodynamics. It's not dangerous and the bike has plenty of traction. In exchange for the happy feet the ST has wonderfully neutral handling and steers exceptionally light for a 720+ lb motorcycle.

In the first months of riding back in the beginning I got cramps in my clutch forearm too. I got one of those foam things you squeeze to build hand and forearm strength and put in the car. I did reps with it driving to and from work all week so on Saturday I could ride my ST three or four hundred miles with my sport touring riding buddies and not get cramps.

Money spent on protective riding gear is the best money spent on a motorcycle. Boots, gloves, jacket, pants and helmet - nothing less for me and I encourage you to start out with good habits in this area. It may be hot in the gear but we do get used to it. There are EC standards for apparel and of course you know about DOT, Snell, and other standards for helmets.

I wave too pretty much every rider I come across. It's part of being part of the group of people that choose to ride these most perfect of vehicles that not only move our bodies but move our souls as well.

Bike
2018 NC750X
STOC #
Congratulations on your fine purchase. The folks here and the information on this site can make your riding experience much better.

It felt heavy and it lurched and bucked violently in first and second gear. It was even a bit to handle in 3rd gear! I literally only rode it for about 3 miles and I was too intimidated and overwhelmed to continue riding.
Probably the first thing you need to check is the amount of slack in the throttle cables. The 1300 is notorious for the first gear lurching or surging a little. Second thing you might want to try is run some fuel system cleaner through it... most folks here would recommend "seafoam" which can be purchased at the local wally world or most auto parts stores. Third thing would be to find a "tech event" somewhere within riding distance and have the throttle bodies synced to make sure she is performing at max capacity.

At 60 -70 mph, it feels "flighty"
The ST's feel at home between 60 and 80 or even above those speeds. You will be surprised how well the bike can handle at speed. The top heavy sensation you get a lower parking lot speeds disappears at highway speeds. When you get a little more time and confidence on the bike you will be amazed how nimble she is in the twisties. For peace of mind, check the tire pressure in both and correct if necessary. Also make sure the tires are not out of date and have good serviceable tread. Different tire brands can make it feel somewhat different, you can search the tire subforms and get an idea what folks like... but those can be subjective to the riders familiarity and experience.

I am 5'5" with a 27 ish inseam. But I am actually surprised that it doesn't feel heavier when I am holding up its weight with my left foot
I'm only a couple of inches taller than you so I can relate. Remember "when" you have a tip over, you need to know the proper technique for picking her up. Again you can search the threads on this forum or you can search youtube for how to pick up a Goldwing... and watch the little lady pick up a 900 lb motorcycle.

My clutch hand hurts and cramps up. I don't remember having that problem when I use to ride in my twenties
Your clutch may need some minor maintenance. Check the fluid color in the window on the clutch reservoir... if it's not clear or slightly tented but looks more like the color of soda, then it needs to be flushed. The brass bushing in the leaver and the leaver itself can be lubed or replaced to make a huge difference. Again, a visit to a tech event can help you with these issues if you are not comfortable enough to tackle them yourself.

Lastly, send me a PM and let me know what size jacket you wear... I may have an Olympia jacket that will fit you that I'm willing to part with.

W0QNX

Blacksheep Tribal Member
Bike
06/ST1300 19/R1250RT
2024 Miles
What tire pressure are you using? 40 front 42 rear is pretty common on an ST. Might help the squirm a bit.

Bike
2010 ST1300
Congrats on your new ride!

I've had my ST for one year now. You did not mention going over the bike mechanically, and I would think an 11 year old, 90K mile bike probably has some mechanical issues that translate into handling that is not what it was when new. If you are not mechanically inclined, seek out some other ST riders in your area and talk to them. Ask around for a good dealer/mechanic and have him go over the bike if you don't feel comfortable doing it yourself. When I bought mine, I changed the rear pads, rear tire, and all the fluids. I have a great dealer not to far away, and I had him check the bike out and test ride it. Since then I've been doing more and more work on the bike myself. You can meet fellow riders and get referrals by posting notes on this website.

I found my bike wonderfully responsive at low speeds to throttle inputs. I did have some issues with the bike's height and weight (I'm just over 5'6" w/ a 29 inseam). After realizing that I had to slide off the seat when stopping in order to touch down, I got rid of the aftermarket Sargent seat (the previous owner was 6'4" - was I jealous!) and had the stock seat Spencerized (Frank modifies seats and is a STOC member) to lower it an inch and make it narrower.

The cramp buster is just a piece of plastic that grips the throttle when you press down on it, but you can easily slide it up (turning it around the throttle opposite to 'more gas' direction). It is nothing more than a rest for your wrist and a way to hold the throttle open. I have one on each side - had carpal tunnel pain and the wrist rest/cramp buster serves to remind me to keep my wrist-arm straight. Both of mine will slowly slip, requiring adjustment. But it is the cheapest 'cruise control' out there.

Clothing - aye, a conundrum. Experience will tell you what works best for you, but that comes at a price. MC gear tends to be expensive. Go to some rallies and ask other guys if you can try on their jackets. Watch out for Aerostitch 'pop ups' in your area. Read reviews. Consider used clothing until you know exactly what you want . I still forget which pocket I have my keys or ear plugs in.

As you said, ST owners tend to be a stand up bunch. I'm constantly amazed by the generosity and willingness to share knowlege by the people who write on this website. Having met a few in person, they are like that in person. You have truly joined a great community of riders. But then, I have to say the same about the Guzzi guys who are my friends from earlier years. Bikers tend to be a wonderful crowd. Period.

Good luck. Keep riding. Keep learning. Keep reading and asking questions here.

Bike
2009 ST1300
STOC #
Welcome to the bike and the site. I see that you live in Arizona, so you problly see weather from both extremes. I would recommend a good mesh jacket and overpants. With the mesh there are liners that you can wear under(even heated ones), to ride in cooler weather. Then in warmer weather, just ride without the liners. I have a First Gear mesh jacket and Joe Rocket jacket and pants. I also have Alpinstars boots that are great protection and very comfortable to walk in. Enjoy the ride. Ted
:tb1:

Welcome to the forum, neighbor. 6 months now on my 03 non-abs. From a Wing some years ago to the ST, I know your feeling of skittish. I wanted a more nimble bike, than a Wing and that is what we have :D. Enjoy and ride safe. See you on the roads.

Bike
'16 Versys 650LT
STOC #
Money spent on protective riding gear is the best money spent on a motorcycle. Boots, gloves, jacket, pants and helmet - nothing less
+1 and I'll add one more thing... earplugs to protect your hearing from wind noise. Tinnitus sux.

Welcome to the community! & what is the significance of "Xochitl"? (I've been trying to christen my '98 ST11 "BohdiSaTva" for a while, but it's still only sticking sometimes)

Bike
2010 ST1300
I think it means "Flower". Not sure tho. What is it, Mayan? Aztec? Don't remember.

OP
OP
Bike
2003 ST1300A
Hi FNAVTX,
I knew a really beautiful Mexican gal in college and her name was Xochitl. That was the first time I had encountered the name and she told me that it meant flower. I found this verbiage about the name online:

Xochitl (pronounced "SOH-cheel") is an Aztec/Nahuatl name meaning "flower." It's almost unknown in the United States, but it's somewhat common in Central and Southern Mexico. This name is very important to those that have Native American blood, because it's also a short form of the names of several Aztec deities.

OP
OP
Bike
2003 ST1300A
Thanks everyone for all of your wise suggestions and comments. Since I initially posted this, I have put about 300 miles on my ST-Xochitl. Going straight is easy. It's those left turns onto a major street with 3 lanes in each directions from a side street that'll get ya! So I have been practicing in parking lots slow figure 8s, keeping my head up and turning it to the direction I want to go. I nearly dropped her once. I am going to take the next level of the MSF once I have got about 3k miles under my belt.

OP
OP
Bike
2003 ST1300A
Just don't get in a hurry and take time to get in shape to ride. The more you ride the easier it becomes, you get better at handling the bike.
I am trying to be really, really patient and learn good habits. I try to ride at least 1/2 hour every day in that effort.

OP
OP
Bike
2003 ST1300A
For peace of mind, check the tire pressure in both and correct if necessary. Also make sure the tires are not out of date and have good serviceable tread. Different tire brands can make it feel somewhat different, you can search the tire subforms and get an idea what folks like... but those can be subjective to the riders familiarity and experience.
I am a tad embarrassed to admit this, but I have not yet checked the tire pressure since I purchased the motorcycle. I'll be sure to have a look before I ride it again.

Bike
2007 ST1300 ABS
I think you'll find in time that the ST is very easy to ride at all speeds - from a crawl to supra-legal. Rider training is a good start. Parking lot practice utilizing the "friction zone" will help.

Regarding instability, I found that adjusting the rear suspension (preload and rebound) made my bike rock solid. My high speed is around 110mph with a lightly loaded top case, full side cases and a full duffel on the passenger seat (my typical touring configuration). Always rock solid !!!!!

BTW, I've got a little over 90K miles on it and the bike seems to get better every season. You're gonna love your bike.

Top Bottom