Fuel cell / Aux tank install

Bike
ST1300
This is a winter project, so I will update it as I make progress. Mellow you can move this to a more appropriate forum topic if needed.

With my riding style focusing more on long distance rides and rallies, I decided that the added convenience of an aux tank would be beneficial. My first challenge was to finish the plumbing prior to getting the tank.

I chose to use the lower fuel tank inspection bolt as my aux fuel line entry point (others have done the same, so I do give credit accordingly). Wishing to match the size of that bolt, I found that it was a 10mm torx bolt (size T47 IIRC) with 1.25 thread pitch and about 16 or 17 mm in length.

I decided to use a 10mm banjo fitting to serve as my entry fitting (again, credit to others). I obtained one from fleabay (http://www.ebay.com/itm/291223896724?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT).

I couldn't find an appropriate sized bolt with enough length to capture the threads in the tank fitting, so I manufactured one myself using a 10mm x 20mm (1.25 thread pitch) flange bolt and drilling it like a banjo bolt [see pic named "banjo fitting and bolts", left to right is banjo fitting, too short banjo bolt, standard flange bolt, new flange / banjo bolt after a few minutes with a drill press].

I have since found a manufactured banjo bolt that works. O'Reilly autoparts, part # H9486-2 Link:http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/BHH0/H94862.oap?ck=Search_h9486-2_-1_3960&keyword=h9486-2

After adding a few copper crush washers and an o-ring, the fitting was all ready to go.

I finished the plumbing with 1/4" fuel line and a quick disconnect from MaPLE farkles.(https://www.maplefarkles.com/index.php/products/plumbing/qd)

Everything seems to button up just fine so far. More to come after I get the tank mounted.

Jay

Attachments

Last edited:

carpdm

Site Supporter
STOC #
Nicely done. I'm interested in the rest of your project. Been thinking about an auxiliary cell for my PC800. I would like it to be portable with a quick connect.

Bike
2006 ST1300
I used the same port for the fuel line and got everything from Summit Racing, except the quick disconnect- a boating store had one of those. I have to admit though that I like the one you used better. If I'm able to keep my bike I'll switch to one of those.

I installed an inline filter between the aux cell and the lower tank to trap any remnants from the machining process. Unfortunately this changes the transfer process from slow to excruciating, but it still transfers fast enough. If I keep the bike I'm eventually going to have an aluminum tank professionally constructed and I won't need the filter.

Where are you going to mount your tank? Over the pillion seat or over the rear rack? Mine is over the rack with a Pelican case over it and it works out well, and still allows me to carry a passenger.

OP
OP
PlainJay
Bike
ST1300
I have the honda top case so I am planning on mounting the tank over the pillion seat with room to allow the top case to open. I am also planning on making the removal of the tank fairly easy (carry a passenger / commuting). I would like the tank & mount hinge rearward to allow the seat to be removed without removing the tank so I can get to the under seat storage area.

Regarding quick disconnects, I found this one from maple to be the best combination of quality (brass), size, and price IMO. It seals both ends and works just like an agri equipment / construction equipment hydraulic fitting.

Bike
2021 BMW 1250GS
STOC #
Good luck....I have used my fuel cell a several times and it has come in handy!

OP
OP
PlainJay
Bike
ST1300
I have recently made some progress toward finishing this Aux tank. Specifically, I have finished the hinged mount so that I can still get access under the pillion seat. For the mount I used a piano hinge, some 1" aluminum angle, 1" aluminum square tubing, and some 1.5" x .125" aluminum flat stock. I chose to use a quick connect pin to allow easy rotation of the mount/tank rearward to get to the pillion seat area. After plenty of measuring, cutting, re-measuring, re-cutting, then welding and grinding, this is where I am. More pics after I get the tank fully mounted and the plumbing finished.

Front Support Arms.jpgPiano hinge.jpgHinge mount.jpgTank mount.jpgTank side.jpgTank front.jpg

Bike
2010 ST1300
That looks like one professional installation. And in a pinch, you could even carry beer in the aux tank.

Bike
2016 FJR
STOC #
Damn Jay, you should have fabbed a few of those to sell to offset your time and materials. 450 miles between stops.....just a dream for some of us.

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
Damn Jay, you should have fabbed a few of those to sell to offset your time and materials. 450 miles between stops.....just a dream for some of us.
Heck, I'd be happy to go 300 miles between stops. I need a much better seat to make use of an aux tank.

OP
OP
PlainJay
Bike
ST1300
In all honesty, this is not as large a tank as it could be (long story), but my goal is to just get 300 miles per stop. That should be plenty per iron butt regs, and my bladder.

Thanks for the support!!!

GallantRider

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 ST1300A
STOC #
I would buy one if you care to make another! Sorry to revive an old thread but I'm researching options for adding a tank. Do you know if your mounting solution will pass IBA/TeamStrange regs?

Would you mind sharing the specs/measurements of the materials you used, if you still have it lying around? Especially interested in the under-seat mount brackets as those could be modified and bent to serve as a forward base for a flat style tank (a la Maple Farkles) mounted over the rear rack and pillion seat.

Really nice work!
Steve

Top Bottom