Capacitive Touchscreens and gloves; what to do?

Bike
2005 ST1300
Heya all,

Has anyone come up with a good approach to using capacitive touch screens with gloves on?

I've seen preparations advertised for treating gloves (to make the electrical connection to the hand inside the glove,) metal thread for another way of making that connection, the proposal to use a capacitive stylus (but I'm not clear how they work with gloves...) and all seem to have qualified success.

Suggestions?

Jack

Bike
95 ST1100
Both my summer and mid weight gloves have no problem with the captive screen if I use the thumb. I guess they have a wire or something in there to create the electrical resistance necessary for the screen to read it.

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
My solution here... just bring a stylus along.

Much easier then using your nose at stoplights. :-D

Some gloves don;t seem to have an issue, my summer gloves can work it pretty good. But a stylus works all the time every time.

OP
OP
jjoyce2
Bike
2005 ST1300
Thanks for that. I was leaning toward a stylus, but I wasn't certain it would work in a gloved hand - I can see on the thread you sent T_C, that it does indeed work in a gloved hand. That works for me!

Thanks!

Jack

Outbackwack

Howard
Bike
'13 Vstrom 650
STOC #
I took a pair of neoprene gloves from Costco and cut a finger tip off and sewed it onto another pair of gloves and that seems to work ok. I have a Samsung S4 and you can change the setting to increase sensitivity too.

Bike
2005 ST1300
I have been using the ICON Justice Touchscreen gloves for a couple of years and they work VERY well. They are on closeout on Revzilla for $50, that is less than half of what I paid for them new when they first came out. I use my phone for GPS, music, voice to text, intercom, and as a phone all without having to take it out of it's cradle right between the bars. When I do take it out to use it as a camera I still don't have to take my gloves off. Very nice!http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/icon-justice-touchscreen-gloves:dr13:

OP
OP
jjoyce2
Bike
2005 ST1300
Those Icon gloves look very tempting, wihardy. I was just turned onto Thumbdogs sold by Aerostich. They'd let me keep my favorite gloves on (Speedmasters)

I wonder how long it will be before all gloves are capacitive screen friendly?

Jack

OP
OP
jjoyce2
Bike
2005 ST1300
Dig this. I was going to go the stylus route, cause I thought the silver wire might gouge the screen and the chemical treatments wear off quickly and I decided to try my gloves out before buying the fixers.

Some of my riding gloves are already capacitive screen friendly and my gloved hands will work - glad the software presents big buttons!

Bike
2010 ST1300
My solution here... just bring a stylus along.

Much easier then using your nose at stoplights. :-D

Some gloves don;t seem to have an issue, my summer gloves can work it pretty good. But a stylus works all the time every time.
Or various other parts of your anatomy. Funny, +1 on the different gloves. My expensive, custom made black deerskin gloves (Thurlow made) do not work on my iPhone, but the cheap elkskin(?) gloves dyed natural that I've been wearing this summer work fine. Go figure. Same for my Garmin gps (not a zumo).

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
iPhones and iPads use a capacitive touch screen. Thinner gloves stand a better chance of letting the screen "see" the capacitance of your finger (or thumb) no nose need apply. It might also be that the treatment of the gloves or lipids from the skin affect the capacitance seen by the screen.

If the screen used resistance tech like some other phones/tablets do/did your gloves might not work at all.

ScubaDave

Site Supporter
Bike
st 1300
STOC #
I just got a phone that works with normal gloves. Well ok most gloves. If they are too big to work well then I use the stylus that is on a retractor on my bars.

Sent from my smarty phone

Top Bottom