Best location on the bike

I'm going to buy a smartphone, which I want to use also as a GPS on the bike.
I was wondering what would be the best location : on the fork, on one side or on the top of the dashboard ?
Thank's
Franck

Throttlejockey

Padden is my hero
Bike
06 ST1300
STOC #
Re: Best location ont the bike

IMO, the top of the dash is the best place. No looking down or off to the side.

Bike
2005 ST1300

I prefer the clean and empty look myself, but I'm stuck on my gps too and need the visual info, not just the audio directions. I plan to mount mine on a ram mount from the handlebar central bracket, and probably have it to the left, about bar height. No pics - new bike, haven't done it yet.

I need to arrange a way to keep a capacitive stylus handy...

Jack

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #

I prefer the clean and empty look myself, but I'm stuck on my gps too and need the visual info, not just the audio directions. I plan to mount mine on a ram mount from the handlebar central bracket, and probably have it to the left, about bar height. No pics - new bike, haven't done it yet.

I need to arrange a way to keep a capacitive stylus handy...

Jack
Most GPS units are pressure sensitive screens, not capacitive.

Phones are the opposite.

To keep a stylus handy put it on a leash, a retractable type used for ID badges.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #

I think pretty much anywhere in the triangle area formed by the mirrors and the top of the dash works depending on your hardware.

Bike
'05 ST1300
STOC #

Mine's on top of the dash, in the center. It's close to my normal line of sight, and doesn't require me to take my eyes off the road. I'm using a dash shelf, but there are other mounts that will work.

BakerBoy

It's all small stuff.
STOC #

Top of dash works (that's where I ran my GPS on my former ST1100), but on other bikes since then, I find placing it about halfway between the handlebar grips to be best. On the ST13, I have a long enough RAM arm that I position the top of the GPS just below the centerline of the gages. With the GPS placed there, it is less of a reach and doesn't hide the closest ~50' of roadway from one's eyes. I listen the voice prompts for routing, rather than watching for directions, but placed there it does result in the occasional glance lower than the gages.

Edit: I'm 5'9" ... someone taller and with longer reach may prefer it above the dash.

A couple pictures that show my GPS placement are as follows:

Last edited:

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Unless you're going to get a phone with one of the larger screens and maybe even then I'd say the dash is the best bet. It's quick and in-line so your eyes are off the road for a very short time.

Visual aids mounted on the left or right side of the bars require a little more time and caution but are definitely serviceable and manageable.

Throttlejockey

Padden is my hero
Bike
06 ST1300
STOC #

Top of dash works (that's where I ran my GPS on my former ST1100), but on other bikes since then, I find placing it about halfway between the handlebar grips to be best. On the ST13, I have a long enough RAM arm that I position the top of the GPS just below the centerline of the gages. With the GPS placed there, it is less of a reach and doesn't hide the closest ~50' of roadway from one's eyes. I listen the voice prompts for routing, rather than watching for directions, but placed there it does result in the occasional glance lower than the gages.

Edit: I'm 5'9" ... someone taller and with longer reach may prefer it above the dash.

A couple pictures that show my GPS placement are as follows:

I don't have any problems with sight lines and I'm only 5'7

dduelin

Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
If one never takes their eyes off the road how does one look at the mirrors, fuel level, GPS or do a check six?

Gerhard

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 R1200RT
Mine is mounted above the dash and I think the main advantage is that it is at a distance where my eyes focus to and from quickly, if it was closer to me it seems to take my eyes much longer to focus. That wasn't a problem I had 10 or 15 years ago but we all get older.

Gerhard

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
If one never takes their eyes off the road how does one look at the mirrors, fuel level, GPS or do a check six?
Each of the above individually takes only fractions of a second to accomplish whereas visually gathering data from a GPS takes many seconds and more concentration. Much more distracting and time with your eyes off of where they should be.

OP
OP
FranckyPan
Thanks to all for your replies which are interesting.
Basically, I think the best is the dash, because you don't take eyes off the road.
But being too much focused on, is maybe a risk ?

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
But being too much focused on, is maybe a risk ?
Which is where audio-out and a helmet headset come handy, audible announcements will simply cut down the time required to decipher the screen info... in fact you'll won't even need to look at the screen very often...
Further is Satnav only an assistant, traffic/road safety comes first, always... if the situation doesn't allow, cancel the exit/turn, let the unit recalculate and come around... (already enough BD cagers around doing stupid things on busy roads/intersection cause their satnag tells them ;-) )
Before using it on the motorcycle, I first practised in the car with the Garmin, going places like work, groceries or the GF's family, just to get used and accustomed to its haptics audio, and screen info...
Yeah, over me playing with the GPS for going to her mom's the damsel did express her opinion that I obviously "must have lost it", but later during a 2 week motorcycle tour to/through the south of France she then admitted that those seemingly stupid training-runs weren't so dumb at all... :cool:

And since smart-phones normally aren't waterproof, you'll need to consider some containment/weather protection as well, which might impact your intended place and/or type of installation...
In daylight conditions the screen might not be easily readable, thus some form of screen might proof useful too... at least a matte, non reflective protection foil...

dduelin

Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Each of the above individually takes only fractions of a second to accomplish whereas visually gathering data from a GPS takes many seconds and more concentration. Much more distracting and time with your eyes off of where they should be.
That was my [tongue in cheek] point. No matter where you mount a GPS, your eyes are not on the road when you are looking at it or working on it.

Bike
2010 ST1300
I've been using a cheap Nuvi (now a 2597, before that a 255) on my bike. My GPS is mounted via Ram Mount to one of 3 Ram balls on a steel strip mounted on top of the dash. This is a manufactured aftermarket bracket that came with my bike. I adjust the arm so the screen is above the dash and just below my line of sight.

I recently got an iPhone and have found that Apple's Maps is nowhere near as useful as my Nuvi for naviagtion. The latter shows more detail, lane changes, and more info on the screen than the phone. Garmin's devices are optimized for cars (and the Zumo for bikes), I don't know how good a Google Maps app is compared to a GPS. Since none of these (phones or Nuvi's) are waterproof, and since both of my Nuvi's required a glare shield and the phone might as well, I suggest you try the phone and a Nuvi out in a car to see which is more useful for you. You haven't mentioned bluetooth, which changes the whole equation in favor of the phone.

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
That was my [tongue in cheek] point. No matter where you mount a GPS, your eyes are not on the road when you are looking at it or working on it.
I understood that- I just thought I would take the opportunity to state an opinion that this
mm.jpg

is the best location (other than HUD) because I see so many installed in positions that are akward to use and divert ones attention and sight away from the road for far to long which can have disastrous effects.

dduelin

Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I understood that- I just thought I would take the opportunity to state an opinion that this
mm.jpg

is the best location (other than HUD) because I see so many installed in positions that are akward to use and divert ones attention and sight away from the road for far to long which can have disastrous effects.
I still don't think you understand that it takes a fraction of a second to look over and check a mirror, look at the speedo or fuel gauge, or GLANCE at the GPS. None of these are inherently unsafe and should be part of an engaged rider's attention to riding.

Now when the rider is engaged with fiddling with the touchscreen or buttons to get or input information that is an entirely different matter. No matter where the device is mounted the rider is not looking at the road.....even if it is mounted in a HUD position. His mind and attention are elsewhere for the time focused on the device. Of course, he might have saved .025 seconds shifting his glance from the road to to the device but he can make that up the next time he looks at a mirror.

Top Bottom