Revisions (Error Corrections) to ST 1300 Service Manual

CYYJ

Michael
Bike
None any more.
STOC #
I recently purchased a ST 1300 Service Manual from my Honda dealer.

The manual arrived with multiple layers of shrink-wrap on it. At the bottom of it all was a Service Manual with a publication date of May 2010.

In each layer of shrink wrap, I found a set of stickers to update the cover and publication number to include successive years of production following 2010. Two of the shrink-wrap layers contained revised pages which were printed on adhesive stickers, this for the purpose of revising the May 2010 publication. One set of 4 revised pages was dated November 2010 (2 pages) and January 2011 (2 pages), the other set of revisions was dated January 2013 (4 pages).

In every case, the revised pages contained ERROR CORRECTIONS. No new material was presented in the revisions.

I have uploaded the 8 pages containing the error corrections here. To revise a manual with an initial publication date of May 2010, just apply the new pages over top of the existing pages which have the same page number.

I do realize that our forum administrator is quite concerned about respecting copyright law, however, I believe that distribution of these 8 pages of error corrections here in the forum would be considered "fair use" under copyright law, for the following reasons:

1) No new material is presented. All of the revised material consists of corrections to factual errors (typographic or editorial errors) that were unintentionally published in the original May 2010 printing.

2) By themselves, the 8 pages are of no value to anyone. They are only of use to people who have already purchased a complete May 2010 Honda ST 1300 Service Manual.

3) Honda does not sell the revisions as a stand-alone product, hence, there is no possibility of any loss of revenue from publication sales by Honda.

4) The revisions correct errors in the original publication which, if not corrected, could lead to unsafe operation of a Honda product as a result of following incorrect procedures. Hence, I am pretty sure that Honda would be happy to have these error corrections promulgated.

[HR][/HR]
Here are the 4 pages of the first set of error corrections dated November 2010 (2 pages) and January 2011 (2 pages)

[HR][/HR]
Here are the 4 pages of the second set of error corrections dated January 2013 (4 pages)

[HR][/HR]It is noteworthy that the most recently added layer of shrink-wrap in the package contained a sticker updating the cover of the manual to read "2003-2014" and updating the publication number of the service manual to 61MCS11. It appears that the 11 in the number is the revision number of the document. Hence, if anyone is purchasing a ST 1300 service manual on or after today, you should check to see that the outer layer of shrink-wrap contains the "2003-2014" (or newer) sticker, and the publication number is no lower than 61MCS11. It is possible that some dealers may have older copies of the manual in stock that do not contain these revisions.

Michael

OP
OP
CYYJ

CYYJ

Michael
Bike
None any more.
STOC #
Here is an image of the most recent revision sticker. The red arrow (added by me) calls out the most recent publication number as of this date.

Michael

Bike
'16 Versys 650LT
STOC #
Excellent Michael! Thanks.

Maybe these should go in ST-Wiki if not there already.

Bike
2010 ST1300A
FYI my revision number is 61MCS09 2003-2012 and all of the revisions here are in it. Good on you for the update.

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
I have a 2003 ST1300 manual dated June 2002. Is there a resource to update mine?
This is a good question, and I have wondered how Honda's service manual revision process works.

Does anyone know how it works?
I looked at the Helm website and it doesn't provide much information about updates.

In Micheal's example above, the manual has a publication date of May 2010, so for discussion purposes let us assume that this is the most recent publication of this service manual.
Any current manual purchased after that date will come printed with all of the accumulated previous revisions/corrections that were made over the entire life of this service manual since it was first released. If there were subsequent revisions/corrections made to this manual after the May 2010 publication date, but there had not been a new publication issued, this same manual purchased in 2014 would have come with an update package. This update package allows the purchaser to add the revisions/corrections that were made between May 2010 and 2014 themself, as is the case with Michael's example above. This means that the manual is completely up to date and will have all revisions and corrections that have been made from its initial issue all the way through to 2014.

However, can someone like MaconMan who has a manual with a publication date of June 2002, order an update package for it form Honda?
If so, what will be in this update package?

i.e.
Will this update package include all of the revisions/corrections that were made to the manual since its first issue to bring it completely up to date?
This would bring it to the same status as the May 2010 version Michael purchased with the 2014 update package.
Or, will this update package include only those changes that were made to this manual subsequent to the last publication in May of 2010?
If so, this would be the same update package that Michael received with his May 2010 manual.

If it is the latter, the update package would include only the revisions and corrections that were made subsequent to the May 2010 publication date. None of the revisions/corrections that were made between the initial issue and the last publication date of May 2010 would be included, meaning that his service manual would not be up to date and will still have errors in it.

Hound

Cave Canem
Bike
2004 ST1300PA
STOC #
Surely this is wrong too, and there should be continuity when the stand is up and no continuity when lowered? (Section 22, Page 27)

side stand switch.jpg

jfheath

John Heath
Site Supporter
Bike
2013 ST1300 A9
2024 Miles
STOC #
Normal logic doesn't always follow when wiring is sending signals to the ECU for processing.
But I agree. This statement in the manual is incorrect.

Continuity exists when the side stand is up
The circuit is broken when the side stand is down.
And mine has two wires going into a Green 3Pin connector, not a 2Pin

Not that this is critical. If it conducts in one position and not in the other then the switch is working. It is not possible to install it backwards, and I can't think of any circumsatnces where behaviour could change overnight.

Last edited:
Top Bottom