EBC semi-floating discs

I recently installed the new EBC rotors that have what they call square drive (read here: http://ebcbrakes.com/product/floating-mc-rotors/) There was some clicking when rolling her outside, what I thought was the usual rattle from floating rotors although the buttons were rigid in the discs when I installed them.
Riding gave a vibration similar to warped discs, only higher frequency. I then found some material ground away from the outer edge of the rotor buttons on the left disc. A casting protrusion on the left flange of the caliper, about 5-6mm wide and 2-3mm high was hitting the buttons. :mad: Grind away. Done.

All seems ok now, buttons still rigid, emails to corp. UK and USA.

The mighty ST rolls on.:D

Bike
92 ST1100
A popular swap, but a Honda tech. once said not to use OEM honda pads on them or you'll be able to shave with those fancy rotors in short order. Just an FYI, as I would'nt know either way.

Byron

STOC #
A popular swap, but a Honda tech. once said not to use OEM honda pads on them or you'll be able to shave with those fancy rotors in short order. Just an FYI, as I would'nt know either way.
Interesting thought. Most of the time it is said not to use EBC pads on factory rotors because they would cause premature wear. Now you are saying that factory pads will cause premature wear on EBC rotors. If the factory pads are HH rated and EBC pads are HH rated I don't understand where there would be an issue with either combination.

My first hand experience has been mostly with EBC HH pads on factory ST1300 rotors with no adverse affects and over 100K miles.

OP
OP
I'm using EBC HH pads on the new front rotors and the same on the Honda rear rotor. I'll watch the rear for excessive wear. Up until the new EBC front rotors I always used Honda pads on Honda rotors. I had a sticking piston on the right caliper and decided to try EBC along with caliper rebuild, braided lines, rebuilt master cylinder and tapered stem bearings. Except for my oversight on the left front caliper interference with the new rotor all went well. I've not taken it out for a ride yet but the rotor seems fine as is. I've already received responses from EBC, Very fast, as in 2 hours at most. I only wanted to inform them so they could give a heads up to others. If they were to recommend I replace the rotor I would but it seems fine.

The Cheese

I've got the same rotors on mine. Had to do the same. I think I might have made a thread about it.

I only have used EBC pads so far. Been great. Certainly recommend the combo.

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
N.B. Not often mentioned, but there is a caliper clearance check to be performed during a front wheel reinstall, detailed in the ST1100 Owner's Manual (pages 77-78 in mine). The spec is 0.7mm (0.028 in) "between the outside surface of the left brake disc and the left caliper holder"... If there's less clearance it tells you what to do.

John
via iPhone 4S

Bike
92 ST1100
Interesting thought. Most of the time it is said not to use EBC pads on factory rotors because they would cause premature wear. Now you are saying that factory pads will cause premature wear on EBC rotors. If the factory pads are HH rated and EBC pads are HH rated I don't understand where there would be an issue with either combination.

My first hand experience has been mostly with EBC HH pads on factory ST1300 rotors with no adverse affects and over 100K miles.
True, that's why the dealer reccomended the EBC HH pads as the only substitute for OEM pads. OEM rotors are like cheese shredders.
On the rear only, no issues other than I got less than half the service miles that I get from OEM on rear. That option was just cause' dealer was out of OEM at the time.
Having said that would kinda correspond with the previous I was told in post#2. Honda's material in the pads must be hard enough to stand up to the OEM rotors, but too aggressive for the EBC rotors.

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
N.B. Not often mentioned, but there is a caliper clearance check to be performed during a front wheel reinstall, detailed in the ST1100 Owner's Manual (pages 77-78 in mine). The spec is 0.7mm (0.028 in) "between the outside surface of the left brake disc and the left caliper holder"... If there's less clearance it tells you what to do.

John
via iPhone 4S
Page 103 in a '96 Owner's Manual.

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
Honda pads and rotors - definitely made for each other and for long life too! PO of my '96 had aftermarket pads in there, both front and rear and they haven't lasted half as long as OEM has on my '95.

Top Bottom