970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
Wow he was one heck of a rider!! Over came a bad crash and still performed well. Wow they sure wore short shorts back in the day.

Erdoc48

Site Supporter
Bike
94/00/04 STs, FSC600
Very interesting...those guys were hardcore! The bikes, gear (helmets and leathers), and tires are soooo much better now. The bikes in the last part of the video looked like they had bicycle tires on.

Bike
2013 Triumph Trophy
Film gives me the willies. Not the racing, but the medical stuff.

Bike
2013 Triumph Trophy
The leathers look more like a bobsledder's outfit than a motorcycle racer.

Byron

STOC #
Being inducted into the Canadian Motorcycle Hall of Fame is no small feat.

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
Our you sure you don't have a photo or two of yourself wearing some of those from back in the day??? :D
Great story! Things sure have changed over the years.
You know even back in the day I wore long shorts, here is a picture of my brothers and sister back in the day on my boat. I am the tall one next to my sister but my brother Terry had some short shorts!! :D

boat.jpg

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
Very interesting. Times certainly have changed since then, in many ways. Thanks for sharing.

Gerhard

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 R1200RT
Better riding than I can ever hope to accomplish. To me those leather riding suits looked like they where made of rubber like a wet suit.

Nice video and makes you appreciate 2014

Gerhard

OP
OP
catcher

catcher

Site Supporter
Bike
'18Wing, '16VFR1200X
The real story here is not about the bravery Michael Duff exhibited while racing motorcycles but, rather, it is about the courage it took for him to become Michelle Duff and have sex reassignment surgery well before societal norms became more accepting of such a life altering decision.

http://zagria.blogspot.com/2008/04/michelle-ann-duff-1939-motorcycle-racer.html#.VIJ0EWcg9ys
Thanks for that post, it's the one I've been waiting for. Been thinking of inviting Michelle to join us for our Saturday night dinner next August at OnSToc, but unsure of whether or not she would be welcomed. So I humbly ask for opinions on the idea. If we do this, I'd ask folks to have prepared questions for Michelle, and we could do what might be termed a "joint interview". What say you?

Gerhard

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 R1200RT
George we are all growed up, I think we can handle the diversity. You aren't trying to set us up on a blind date after all.

Gerhard

MajorTom

QuickBlue
STOC #
Thanks for that post, it's the one I've been waiting for. Been thinking of inviting Michelle to join us for our Saturday night dinner next August at OnSToc, but unsure of whether or not she would be welcomed. So I humbly ask for opinions on the idea. If we do this, I'd ask folks to have prepared questions for Michelle, and we could do what might be termed a "joint interview". What say you?
I was also wondering if this topic would come up. As a long time reader of Cycle Canada I'm very familiar with Mike/Michelle Duff's career and writing. As mentioned, I would hope this wouldn't be an issue and Michelle would be welcomed as one of us, a motorcycle rider, at any ST event. I'd be honored to meet her.

Bike
None
STOC #
I am surprised you thought you needed to ask that question. Although there may be a few who would not feel entirely comfortable around her, the overwhelming majority of the members of this group are quite open minded. It is rare to have a chance to meet someone who, in addition to racing motorcycles, has had such a unique and interesting life, and for that reason alone I believe she would be very well received.

OP
OP
catcher

catcher

Site Supporter
Bike
'18Wing, '16VFR1200X
It is rare to have a chance to meet someone who, in addition to racing motorcycles, has had such a unique and interesting life, and for that reason alone I believe she would be very well received.
Thanks to all who provided feedback, I appreciate it. I hope to get cracking on planning OnSToc 2015 next week, and inviting Michelle is now on my list!

Bike
FJR & Super Tenere
STOC #
I met Michelle at the Toronto bike show last year. We chatted for a bit. She had a big display booth with one of her old race bikes, trophies, ribbons, books etc ... she beamed when I told her I read the book you loaned me George - (Make Haste, Slowly was the title if I recall).

Oh and pretty sure from a thread or 2 many moons ago, we have some members here who have undergone the same surgery and life change. Good on them if that's what helps achieve a happy life. They have nothing but my respect for their courage & tenacity to get where they needed to be.

Top Bottom