Lane splitting petition.

Bike
2020 Moto guzzi V85T
The latest Jan. 2015 Rider mag has an article on page 11 about Lane Splitting Studies. Although the study shows a positive side I don't know if I could do it. To me in this case it is public education across the nation for this to be successful and have motorcyclist keep living on. As of now until a national strategy has been put in place to allow lane splitting I am not for this.

Crap I can't even pass someone doing 20mph under on a double yellow with clear traffic. And believe me I see a lot on bikes to this. Heck I have been passed on a double yellow doing 20 over.

v8-7

Site Supporter
I'm not sure I would always do it , but it would be nice to have the option to do it legally in situations that
would be safe and efficient such as traffic jams, long multi-light stop lights or even just to jump ahead of
slow trucks at stop lights .

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Bike
2014 FJR ES 2009 WEE
Tilting indeed....but I would like the option if the rest of the road users understood enough not to run me down or road rage me....I signed.....can't ride for a couple of months anyway, might as well do something besides drink beer and shovel snow.....:capwin:....ff

Bike
ST1300
STOC #
I'm not sure I would always do it , but it would be nice to have the option to do it legally in situations that
would be safe and efficient such as traffic jams, long multi-light stop lights or even just to jump ahead of
slow trucks at stop lights .
+1
I'm not a big fan of lane splitting in general, as I don't feel that it's safe in most situations. However, I just signed the petition for a couple of reasons. One reason is I don't think we need big brother telling us what we can't do if we want to save our necks. Another reason is closer to home, as I've been guilty of lane sharing on many occasions, legal or not, when I approach a red light with the intention of turning right and the vehicle ahead of me apparently doesn't intend to. When there's enough room to safely do so, I'll ride between that vehicle and the curb up to the white line and stop, then proceed to turn right if I get a break in traffic. Technically illegal in TX, but I do it anyway if I don't see a LEO at the time.

Bigmak96

R.I.P. - 2021/08/07
Rest In Peace
Bike
04 GL1800 Past tense
STOC #
I feel it would be a risky thing to take it nation wide. In California, they have had the benefit of many years to get used to the idea, and still there are issues once in a while.

Bike
2002 ST1100A
STOC #
I signed it even though I'm in California. By the way, proponents prefer to call it "filtering" or "lane sharing" because splitting has become a derogatory term for it. They are trying to change/raise the image of this practice and raise public awareness that it is actually legal here in California (because many people don't know that) with current commercials on TV as well as the CHP recently posted guidelines for lane sharing on their website (which were subsequently taken down because of a threatened lawsuit). There are way too many riders here in California that take huge chances while filtering (passing between cars that are already doing the speed limit...going way too fast between cars that are moving slowly/stopped). I only lane share when the traffic is moving very slowly and/or stopped and there is enough room. As you know, these ST bikes are pretty wide! The main problem is that a few bad apples spoil it for everyone else!

SteveST1300

Site Supporter
Vendor
Bike
03&04 ST1300
STOC #
I signed it probably would only do it if in very congested area or traffic back up. I have been stuck on 40 heading west when they were blasting and had to just sit. Being able to filter up to the front would have been good then, I did see people on other bike riding up the shoulder which I think is much more dangerous. If this passes it will be interesting to see how it is handled here in the NE.

cnjmurg

R.I.P. - 2019/01/05
Rest In Peace
Bike
06 ST 1300
STOC #
I signed it because it works,so much better to slide between cars than get crushed between cars that did not stop.I think most cagers are OK with it.A few Bozos w/ loud pipes or sport racers can ruin anything.(how come the ones w/ loud pipes own bikes that cannot idle or go fast always a mystery to me)

JQL

Growing old disgracefully :)
Bike
NT700VA
To someone from the UK having a motorcycle and not lane splitting or filtering is like having pie and not eating it. There's no point in having it.

You don't have to lane split or filter but when you look at how many people are rear-ended in the US compared to the UK, as a percentage, I find it really strange...

Bike
ST1300 Pan
Whilst I understand there will be riders who don't wish to filter irrespective of whether it's legal, not voting positively in the petition, just reduces the opportunity for those that wish to. If you choose not to filter, then absolutely fine, stay in the traffic and follow the cagers, but for those that wish to, a positive outcome will allow those that prefer to take the opportunity.

Can a Pan filter in condensed traffic, sure its not as wide as you think and if the mirrors go through, so will the rest.

Not my video, but provides an example

http://youtu.be/hf7ktmLfI88

Cheers

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
I only lane share when the traffic is moving very slowly and/or stopped and there is enough room. As you know, these ST bikes are pretty wide!
I see you also ride the 1100. When I first got mine in '97 I found it to require much more accurate threading through traffic than any other bike I'd owned before. Initially figured it was just a much wider bike than all of the UJMs and sportbikes I'd been riding before that. Then one day following my buddy through traffic on his BMW K100 I realized it wasn't the width of the ST that made it more difficult, it was the fact that the ST mirrors just happen to be at the same height as the sideview mirrors on many cars. On his K bike the mirrors were either higher or lower (can't recall which) so they didn't interfere with the car mirrors like my ST does. I'd guess that the mirror-to-mirror interference takes away 6 to 12 inches of comfort zone on each side of the bike.

the Ferret

Daily rider since May 1965
Bike
21 NC750 14 CB1100
2024 Miles
Was out in California in June. First time. The traffic between San Francisco and Sacramento was just nuts. Like in that video...only worse. 105 degrees. While I knew it was legal, and saw it happening, mostly by bagless Harleys, I just couldn't bring myself to do it. Maybe if I had been on my CB 1100 naked bike, but the space between lanes available looked awfully skinny for a loaded ST.

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Of course, you KNOW I signed it! It's one of those things, until you get the hang of it, it can be a bit nerve racking! But once you've done it a bit, you can't live without it!

But don't take my word for it, I've only been doing it for 43 + years, what do I know?

Top Bottom