Lane splitting petition.

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
For those of you that don't like it and think it should not be done, I invite you to ride with me on my way home, in the dark! Filtering/lane splitting/bust traffic at night is always FUN!

:well1:

Bike
2007 ST1300A
I rather lane split then take my chances on the person behind me texting while traffic is stop and go. It should be optional for those who would want to do it. If I couldn't lane split I would be late to work every morning Lol. Splitting lanes in the fog is a super way to wake a guy up on the ride to work Lol!!

RocketMan

so many roads...
Bike
2012 ST1300A
STOC #
Whether you're for or against Filtering/Lane Splitting here is a very thought provoking article on Filtering from the UK where it is legal:

http://www.theridersdigest.co.uk/spaceship-awareness/
Nice article. Loved the advice to tap the front brake to get clearance under mirrors. :)

Of course, on the ST, the panniers are the widest part so that little trick won't help any.

I have split lanes legally and illegally and find it to be beneficial.

Legally, in Los Angeles on a group ride at CreSTOC in 2009 was my first experience. Following the group ahead made it easier and was a good introduction.

Illegally here in Alberta where a 2 mile parking lot on Hwy 2 was not something I wanted to sit in. I managed to get about halfway along the stoppage before two rednecks in their pickup trucks squeezed their noses together to cut me off. Whatever. Once traffic started moving it took no time at all for us to get past them.

This summer on a trip to CA there was roadwork on I-5 just after I got into CA. Temperature was 39C. I was baking. Then I remembered where I was. Where there wasn't room for me to get between the traffic the vehicles moved over a bit. It didn't take long to get past the lineup and then the construction zone and I had air moving and was doing well.

And in the UK this summer I lanesplit in London and on the motorways and on the A roads and anywhere else there was traffic. Of course, the mindset of the cagers is completely different compared to North America. They actually seem to know what mirrors are for and don't consciously try to impede the forward progress of bikes.

Having been rear-ended while sitting in traffic I am hugely in favor of lane splitting being legal everywhere. From a safety (no chance of getting rear-ended) and comfort (lack of A/C) point of view it is a practice that I believe increases my chances of getting home alive.

And, if riders aren't comfortable with the practice it isn't mandatory.

BUT, the biggest thing necessary would be retraining all the drivers out there.

Bruce

JPrieST

Don't squat with your spurs on
Bike
2014 FJR1300ES
STOC #
I signed the petition. I would love to see the law change. That is the first step. It would have saved me from an accident a week ago.

I was traveling in the left lane on a 4 lane divided road. 2 lanes each direction. Traffic was pretty heavy and moving about 30 mph. I had a guy tail gating me hard when a Blazer in the right lane jumped over in front of me. This left me following too closely, with someone else following me too closely. I remember actually thinking that the safest place for me to move to would be between the travel lanes, but that is not legal here. Before I could open up a safe following distance everyone started slamming on brakes. All I could do was try to aim at the opening between the lanes and brake as hard as I could. Ended up my aim wasn't so good. Took off my mirror cover, bar end weight, saddle bag, broke the mirror, but I was able to stay up. The guy behind me creamed the rear end of the Blazer where I would have been had I not swerved. My point is, had it been legal, I would have already been in a much safer location.

The biggest obstacle to lane splitting (even if the law is changed) is not the education of other drivers. It is the ATTITUDES. Our culture very much hates standing in line. We hate even worse the guy we perceive is trying to cut in front of us. And it isn't so much because it is going to slow us down. It is more because he should have to wait just like the rest of us. Our inflated sense of self worth tells us that I, I, ME, ME has the RIGHT to be next.

So in that last paragraph I exaggerated for point of emphasis. But if you sit in a parking lot and watch traffic when you are not involved in it, you will see that there are enough people with this attitude to cause some real danger to lane splitters. It will be a very gradual attitude adjustment. But eventually it will come.

Bike
2013 650 vSTrom
STOC #
Even tho it's legal here in California, I only lane split if traffic is stopped. If traffic is moving at 10mph, I stay in the lane closest to the center divider. Way to many close calls splitting lanes mostly because people are too damn self centered. They don't care who or what they inconvenience, as long as their NOT inconvenienced. Sad world of inconsiderate people.

Bike
ST1300 Pan
Nice article. Loved the advice to tap the front brake to get clearance under mirrors. :)

Of course, on the ST, the panniers are the widest part so that little trick won't help any.

Bruce
Not sure I agree with that statement, the panniers I believe are very slightly narrower, I filter daily along the M6 car park and use the principal of if the mirrors go through, so will the rest, and it's worked for me for the last 18 months.

Cheers

JQL

Growing old disgracefully :)
Bike
NT700VA
I have the ST700 :D with the big lids fitted and bumper strips (just in case ;)). If the mirrors fit, I'm going through...

The latin system is if the law is stupid, s*d it! I'm converted

ST13Fred

Fred
Bike
2015 Motus MST
The panniers I believe are very slightly narrower, I filter daily along the M6 car park and use the principal of if the mirrors go through, so will the rest, and it's worked for me for the last 18 months.
Cheers
I don't believe ANY manufacturer would pair OEM saddle bags wider than the OEM bars, the ST being one of them.
Now my F800 expandable bags WOULD extend beyond the bars, but narrower in the standard closed position.

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Due to a motorcycle accident on I15 South bound freeway, it was backed up for about 10 miles this morning and the cagers weren't moving very fast at all. Thank goodness for being able to move through the traffic! It delayed me a bit ( I was only able to do 20 to 40mph through the lanes) but I wasn't delayed anything like those cagers were!

Top Bottom