TB mileage????

Should I change Belt

• Yes

Votes: 8 80.0%
  • No let it go...

Votes: 2 20.0%

• Total voters
I am currently at almost 84000 miles on my 91 1100 and was thinking of doing the timing belt on it, I put about 6000 miles a year on bike and am looking at selling next fall before winter sets in so am only keeping for another year, Should I go ahead and do timing belt or can I wait and not worry about it since I don't see going over the 90000-91000 miles????

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
I would not depend that on opinions coming from strangers, more on age, mileage and the possible aftermath of it failing... and from that POV the t/belt is overdue...

Ross Smith

Ross
Bike
1999 St1100
I would not depend that on opinions coming from strangers, more on age, mileage and the possible aftermath of it failing... and from that POV the t/belt is overdue...
+1
Change it. There are other components that need to be looked at periodically in there too.

Ross

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
I will not vote; but, I will suggest that you think about your resale value.
You might not get much more for the bike with the belt changed; but, you'll get a lot more for a bike that is running rather than one that has had a belt failure or is due for a belt change.

That being said, I changed ours when they had over 110,000 miles.

Your choice...

CYYJ

Michael
Bike
None any more.
STOC #
I would be very concerned about the age of the belt - it's 23 years old. I think that when evaluating rubber components, you have to consider both calender time and mileage... what would you think about riding around on 23 year old tires, even if they had sufficient tread left?

Having said that, I don't think that changing the timing belt will make much difference to the resale value of your bike. At that age, the selling price of the bike has more or less stabilized, and I think that buyers would expect that the belt has been changed at some point in time. If it has not been changed, you might get less for the bike, but I doubt that you will recover the full cost of changing the belt when you sell it.

The real question (to me, anyway) is whether or not you want to "roll the dice" for another year, and risk the consequences if the belt fails. Besides the rider safety concerns, if the belt fails, the bike will be scrap, all you will be able to do is just part it out, which will probably be a lot more time-consuming than changing the belt.

So, I'd vote for changing it, but primarily for safety considerations during your next (& last) 6,000 miles of riding, not for any benefit to resale value.

Michael

JPKalishek

Armadillo Kicker
Bike
2 '91 ST 1100
it is close to time according to the manuals (90,000 mile replace) especially if you,ve not looked at it. The black was changed as I looked at it and found some strands pulling free at 80,000 or so, and the Two Tone was changed just after 90,000 and looked almost new.

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
And here I thought this thread would be on Saddles and TB...Tired Butt! :rofl1:

Bike
'98 ST1100
STOC #
Pull the front cover off and inspect the belt ( backside, of course ). If it looks good, re-install the cover. If not, replace the belt ( yourself, it's not that difficult).

BTW, after I got my ST in 2011, it had 54K miles on it. I took the belt off & inspected it. It looked new. I re-installed it.

I have a new Gates belt ready to install in the spring. My '98 now has 75K miles on it, but I am planning on keeping it for another three years.

Last edited:
Top Bottom