Switching rides, not forums

Bike
2003 ST1300
This past year has been met with certain realizations of aging. Due to arthritis, I no longer can do 8 hours in the saddle, or even half that. Since most of my rides are local, I find the ST a bit heavy at the stop lights, while trying to balance the bike on a raised foot. In August I tipped my bike over and injured my left hand using improper technique to raise 670 lbs to an upright position. Yet even with the bad news, I still loved my ST. Over the past few months, I've been riding less and wondering if this is all coming to an end. It did not.
On Saturday, South Sound Honda of Olympia took my 2003 ST in trade for a 2014 V-Strom 650. I test rode it briefly in the cold rain and was amazed how much I enjoyed the experience, to the extent that I didn't want the test ride to end. The 650 has all the power I need, and the engine range is amazing. I dropped the rpms to 2,000 in second gear, then accelerated and it never hesitated. I kept riding and grinning; finally I had to return the bike to the dealer. I have not played in the rain like that since first grade! The Honda dealer told me many ST riders switched to a V-Strom, based on its durability and great reputation. Sounds familiar.
I am ordering a long list of farkles, and will waste no time in customizing my hobby (bike). I'm not leaving this forum, it is so much more than just about STs.
Thanks all for your advice and support, I look forward to many more years with ST-owners.
Jon Auster, aka STreaker

Last edited:

CYYJ

Michael
Bike
None any more.
STOC #
Great Post, Jon, I look forward to seeing you in our forum long into the future! Hope you really enjoy the new ride... let us know what the advantages and disadvantages are as you discover them.

Michael

Bike
ST1100
Great post Jon and a good choice for your new bike,my friend Andy has one and loves it especially for the tight twisty roads we have here in Ireland.Shortly I will probably be thinking along the same lines as you,the ole hips are starting to creak a bit when I put the feet on the floor in the morning.
Pat

Bike
2018 NC750X
STOC #
Life is too short not to be happy... been thinking about a lighter bike than my 1100, but not ready to part with it yet. FYI this summer I helped a friend replace a stator in his V-strom. Apparently it is a weak link. If you take any long journeys on it, you may want to pack a spare... they give very little warning when they fail.

Bike
18 Gold Wing
STOC #
Congratulation ont he new bike! I bought an 06 Wee to have as a second bike and love it! Very rider friendly bike, easy to ride, and will run the twisties very well! Hope it continues to put smiles on your face for a very long time!

ChucksKLRST

Team Colorado
Bike
2019 Versys 1K SE LT
STOC #
Congrats on the Vee Strom 650. I also have a 09 Wee and it is a keeper. With the proper farkles it does everything the ST did except not go as fast. Chain maint is a non issue. My first set of sprockets and chain went 30k miles. You will find the Wee 650, with the 6 speed gear box is a ball to ride in the mountains and when the pavement turns to dirt road, just keep going, don't even slow down.View attachment 159967

Last edited:

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Sounds like you are a happy Strom rider looking ahead with good memories of the ST.

Bike
2013 650 vSTrom
STOC #
Jon, your post sounds like I wrote it [emoji4]
I had to part I had with my ST13 due to a knee replacement and other problems with arthritis.
I bought a 2013 Vstrom 650 and its the boom!. I mean I couldn't have made a better choice. Loved my ST but love my Vstrom even more.
Good luck [emoji106]

Bike
ST1300A
Sounds like you made a good switch for your needs, I'm thinking of a similar change but i'm looking at the FJ 09 once it becomes available... a test ride will tell me for sure. Good luck with the Wee. When I do make a switch I'll still visit this site though, it's got a lot of good people and info.

Last edited:
OP
OP
STreaker
Bike
2003 ST1300
Jon, your post sounds like I wrote it [emoji4]
I had to part I had with my ST13 due to a knee replacement and other problems with arthritis.
I bought a 2013 Vstrom 650 and its the boom!. I mean I couldn't have made a better choice. Loved my ST but love my Vstrom even more.
Good luck [emoji106]
Thanks for the validation. I wish you much happiness on the next best thing to sliced bread!
STreaker

Congrats on the Wee Strom Jon! And welcome to the club. I've been enjoying an 08 model along with the ST for a few years now. Like you, even though I've sold the ST, I'm not leaving ST-Owners. Have you been over to Stromtroopers or VSRI yet? Lots of good info and people there. And they run it like Joe runs ST-Owners. So It's a great place to hang out.

Allen K.

the Ferret

Daily rider since May 1965
Bike
21 NC750 14 CB1100
2024 Miles
First off congrats on your new ride. The Stroms are excellent motorcycles.

I watched as my father downsized from Harley dressers down to CB 350 Four and finally to a CB 175 near the end, and wonder if the same fate awaits me. At 64, I feel every pound of the ST as I lift it off the side stand and back it out of the garage with one hand on the bars and the other on the seat. I have a CB 1100 I ride as well, and a 400 Majesty too, but even those feel heavy at times. A 650-700 twin just might be the ticket someday. Will ride the ST as long as I can handle it, but when the body says enough, I won't hesitate to downsize.

OP
OP
STreaker
Bike
2003 ST1300
Congrats on the Wee Strom Jon! And welcome to the club. I've been enjoying an 08 model along with the ST for a few years now. Like you, even though I've sold the ST, I'm not leaving ST-Owners. Have you been over to Stromtroopers or VSRI yet? Lots of good info and people there. And they run it like Joe runs ST-Owners. So It's a great place to hang out.

Allen K.
Allen,

Thanks for your good thoughts. I do intend to join Stromtroopers soon. If I may ask you, what do you think the best tire is for someone who rides 95% street? Is there any point to even going with an Adv. tire when I could just ride Bridgestones 020 ? (The 020 was amazing on my ST).
Cheers, STreaker

OP
OP
STreaker
Bike
2003 ST1300
Thanks again Everyone !!! for your support and kind wishes. This is an fantastic forum, and a special thanks to Mellow for all his years of keeping it going.

ChucksKLRST

Team Colorado
Bike
2019 Versys 1K SE LT
STOC #
Allen,

Thanks for your good thoughts. I do intend to join Stromtroopers soon. If I may ask you, what do you think the best tire is for someone who rides 95% street? Is there any point to even going with an Adv. tire when I could just ride Bridgestones 020 ? (The 020 was amazing on my ST).
Cheers, STreaker
I run Shinko 705's which is a 75/25 Street/Dirt tire and it is very inexpensive. Sticks to the pavement very good in the twisties and is good on the dirt and gravel graded roads. I get about 7 to 8k out of a rear and twice as much out of the front. Great tire for the money IMHO. Of course I do all my own tire changes. I buy my tires from Jakewilson.com Stromtroopers is a good site but lots of folks, also ADVrider is good, but very large. There is enough folks here with Vee/Wee Stroms that could and would answer any of your questions.

Last edited:
Jon,

I used to run the 023GT on my ST. I know what you mean. They are an awesome tire. On the Strom I've really come to like the Metzler Tourance. My Strom riding is also 90% to 95% street. Even though only 5% to 10% is off pavement it's a really important 5%-10%. If 100% is street riding then the 020 would work out just fine. But I think a 100% street tire could make your off pavement ride quite treacherous instead of a fun diversion. Not looking to start a big debate here. This is only my opinion. The Tourance has been a great street tire and it has also kept me out of trouble off road.

Allen K.

Top Bottom