thanks for a civil forum

Bike
2004 ST1300
Where is the like button!? This has been the most educating and enjoyable forum I have ever been a member of. I have learned a ton and love the positive feedback and all the opinions. So much in life is subjective and it's great to weigh everyone's pros and cons with regards to gear, tires, upgrades, etc. I have worked for Honda and Acura on the service end for almost 14 years and have always struggled with conversations that start with, "I was reading on an Acura forum....". This is such a knowledgeable and friendly group that steers counter to the poo I have battled for years in my business. Thank you Mellow! You rock and keep the anarchy at bay.

STOC #
Three things stand out on this forum. The technical knowledge of some of the members and their store of information that is available, even special tools if needed, the compassion for their fellow riders and their family members, and finally their generosity when financial help is needed. At times, it will literally bring tears to your eyes. Just don't tell me loud pipes save lives. Speak softly, and ride a big STick. :D

Bike
ST1300, VT750C
I'm a new member here too, but I have been a guest visitor for awhile. I visit several forums regularly, but I only belong to uhm, one. I definitely appreciate the civility. It's really refreshing to participate in a community of real people supporting each others' common interest. Thanks Mellow for the welcoming place to pull up a stool.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Lots of great comments.

@ the Ferret - I'm flattered you looked at what we do here as a template.

For all the other comments, it's our pleasure. It does get a bit exhausting at times when you have family and work nipping at your heels and you still have to deal with site related maintenance, issues or questions but then I see the friendships that have been forged. Sure, if this place didn't exist, folks would likely find other forums and still make friends but maybe not the same friends... I've personally met some great folks that I consider friends and I don't think I ever envisioned having so many friends in my life, that's definitely worth the effort.

I must thank the moderators for helping me. I may have set the tone but they help me keep it and they also help me keep grounded at times as well.

Bike
2013 Triumph Trophy
I wish some of the other forums were moderated like this one. Two Wheeled Texans is another civil place to hang out while the Gold Wing Forum I frequent is full of crotchety old men! I've only had issue with one member here and while we got into a heated exchange, we were both able to handle it via PM.

Bike
'15 FJR ES
While I 100% agree that this is a wonderful forum and I give full credit to Mellow and the moderators, I think we must all take some responsibility for our personal forum behavior.

Each forum has its own personality and each has its own pluses and minuses. The FJR forum is every bit as good a source of information as this one, BUT!!! they have zero patience for repeated questions and for those who don't care enough to do a search before asking the same question that has been answered ad nauseum. The "Other ST Forum" has the same wonderful folks riding the same wonderful motorcycle as you find here. It has a slightly different personality, but it is a great place as well.

I have found that there are wonderful folks all over this world and that many of them ride Honda STs. Many of them ride FJRs as well. If I cannot get along with them, the problem might just be... me. I have benefitted from this forum in more ways than I can say, but I have also benefitted from the FJR forum and the "Other ST forum". Good folks everywhere.

I can honestly say that I would consider it a privilege to share a ride with Mellow and his moderators. In absence of that, I consider it a privilege to be a member of this online community.

Norm

Vendor
Bike
KLR650
STOC #
I agree with Redfish's view that there is more to the high quality of this group than is due to the moderators alone. No question that recruiting and interviewing would be unlikely to hire people of the quality of the moderators here but there is more to a group than an enforcer with a big stick. I have belonged to groups in which rudeness and other bad behavior were enforced by the members as a group without moderators. When someone has their posts blocked by virtually everyone and receives no communication, they have no choice but to drift. All of this speaks to maintaining the type of society in which one wishes to live. Most often people operate in reverse and expect everyone else to come around to accommodating them which doesn't work.

I also no longer own an ST although am still involved with them through friends and the desire to remain connected with a community of this quality. There are a few other groups which offer the level of discourse and technical found here although, KLRForums, and the old DSN_KLR650 groups are examples. The level of technical on the KLRForums, in respect to oil pressure management and oil consumption may be of interest to the more technical here, FWIW.

I recently departed two web groups, one KLR and one Brit sports car because of rudeness and or arrogant postings. Groups tend to reap what they sow, so to speak.

A thread of this type is very valuable because a social group must have some means to communicate its values and the aspect of that most often neglected is the communication of the positive. One of the most basic principles of managing people, IME, is to communicate approval for the behaviors which we value and so wish to have repeated. Seems like a no-brainer but few people seem to recognize that people are more likely to repeat what we want if we ask them. ;-)

ST13Fred

Fred
Bike
2015 Motus MST
It's true "You meet the nicest people on a Honda".
That really has been true over all these years since Mr. Honda delivered the first products anywhere.

Of the few forums I've been active on over the years, the Honda sites, including the cars, have been very friendly
while the others have gotten nasty on occasion, w/o naming names. No ad has been so correct in its wording.

But of course, Mellow has slapped a few fingers along the way on our site. Don't ask me how I know.

ST1300 Alicia

aka GSA Girl & KLR Girl
Site Supporter
Bike
BMW R1200GSA
This Forum and the friendships I've developed because of this Forum have added significantly to my life. I've explored places that I wouldn't have traveled to on my own and I've met some very special people. Yes, I belong to several BMW Clubs and go to a lot of fun Beemer Rally but this (ST-Owners.com) is my go to group. I work full time and have professional continuing education responsibilities but I always have time to relax and enjoy Joe's Gift. Thank You Joe for your Great Forum.

Bike
2007 ST1300A
Agree with all that I said above.

Mellow slapped my thread once, but I might have been in the 'applesauce' when I made that post .......

The reason I come back is the civility, PLUS the value of the opinions, feedback, tech tips, and route advice that usually shows up within minutes of my post.

Murray

Ps. what is the best oil for my ST1300?

:ds1: :ds1:

TOS

Bike
2015 Super Tenere
STOC #
This is a great place for information, games, camaraderie and much more.
Very friendly folks here and at the ST events.
I haven't ridden an ST almost 5 years. We are still treated the same and just as welcome, on the GW as we were on the ST. Not many groups can claim, that level of the love to ride motorcycles. Not just the love of a certain brand or type of motorcycle.

Thanks to Joe, the Moderators and all STOC members.

Bike
BMW K1600GT
I gave up on Honda in 2012, but never retreated from this forum. I'm on a few of them now. All of them combined are not as good as this forum is. Mellow does a tremendous job keeping this forum running glass smooth and up to date. Many others can take a page from his playbook.

Bike
2006 ST1300
Without a doubt this is a great place because of Joe and the Crew.
I once had my comments deleted and could not figure out why, until I thought about it. It was my attempt at humor, but it came off as me being rude. I'm grateful that the other person was spared my poor choice of words. I might add that it keeps us from looking like jerks, because some things are only funny when we are face to face.
A very sincere thank you

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Without a doubt this is a great place because of Joe and the Crew.
I once had my comments deleted and could not figure out why, until I thought about it. It was my attempt at humor, but it came off as me being rude. I'm grateful that the other person was spared my poor choice of words. I might add that it keeps us from looking like jerks, because some things are only funny when we are face to face.
A very sincere thank you
WHAT DO YOU MEAN BY THAT!!! :rofl1:

Bike
'15 FJR ES
I might add that it keeps us from looking like jerks, because some things are only funny when we are face to face.
I have to disagree with you on this. While Mellow does a great job, he is not a miracle worker. Nothing he can do on this forum can keep me from looking like a jerk. :confused: ;)

There are some things that no amount of "editing" can fix.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I have to disagree with you on this. While Mellow does a great job, he is not a miracle worker. Nothing he can do on this forum can keep me from looking like a jerk. :confused: ;)

There are some things that no amount of "editing" can fix.
That's pretty funny right there... I just can't believe you said all that and didn't insult your wife once...

Top Bottom