Iphone 4S Mount for ST1300

Bike
2003 ST1300
Hi Everyone!

Previous bikes I've had were all cruisers with round handlebars, so It was easy to find a generic mounting unit that fits a bar.. but since the ST doesn't have round bars, I am looking to find a solution to having my Iphone 4S mount just above the dash, behind the windscreen. My Iphone has an otterbox on it, so I would prefer to not remove it. I would like something simple like a ball mount that I can use with a holder that holds my phone but only attaches to the ball mount. Can anyone make suggestions? In the past I've used Slip Grip mounts for my phones and they are amazing... but I've had them attached to round bar posts.

Thanks!

Onicabbit

Tailess Cabbit!
Site Supporter
Bike
18 Goldwing Tour
STOC #
using a Ram-mount X-Grip mount, 2-inch arm, and a ball mount reservoir cover plate. works fine with an iPhone 6 and a case.
older pic with iPhone 5 and case.
Capture001.PNG

Last edited:

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
My Iphone has an otterbox on it, so I would prefer to not remove it.
First.. is it an OtterBox Defender or commuter?
If it is a Defender, continue below, if it is a commuter, purchase an X-grip, a ram ball and an arm (BTW... I have one lightly used x-grip for sale).
If a Defender: Do you normally use the hard plastic belt clip case? If, like most people, you just set it aside or buried it in your glovebox of the car, pull it out, glue a ram ball to the back and there you have an easy secure mounting for the phone. (But you still need a ram ball and arm on the bike already.)

A few shots are on this post.

View attachment 154392
View attachment 154393

I prefer this case over the X-grip. Easier to get the phone in/out, no worry about the rubber nubs coming off the arms, and no flopping around (the further you open the arms on the x-grip the more free rotation the mount allows, just inherent to the design).

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ricochet
Bike
2003 ST1300
First.. is it an OtterBox Defender or commuter?
If it is a Defender, continue below, if it is a commuter, purchase an X-grip, a ram ball and an arm (BTW... I have one lightly used x-grip for sale).
If a Defender: Do you normally use the hard plastic belt clip case? If, like most people, you just set it aside or buried it in your glovebox of the car, pull it out, glue a ram ball to the back and there you have an easy secure mounting for the phone. (But you still need a ram ball and arm on the bike already.)

A few shots are on this post.

View attachment 154392
View attachment 154393

I prefer this case over the X-grip. Easier to get the phone in/out, no worry about the rubber nubs coming off the arms, and no flopping around (the further you open the arms on the x-grip the more free rotation the mount allows, just inherent to the design).
Hey TC, I've got a Otterbox Commuter. Tell me about the Mounting you have that you have used? I'd be interested in seeing how you have it setup.

If I can, I'd like to have my phone setup above the desh behind the windscreen if possible.

OP
OP
Ricochet
Bike
2003 ST1300
Hey Guys, recently found this. Does anyone use this system? http://shop.sporttouringgear.com/RBIS-Triple-Ball-System-for-ST1300-HST13-RBIS-3.htm

What I like about it is that it has more then 1 spot for different devices, and its right up on the dash where I like it. Can anyone comment on the quality / usability of this?

My next question would be about what parts to get.. I haven't used any RAM mounts in the past so I am unfamiliar with the parts. The holder for the Iphone I want to get would be this (Ive used these on all my bikes) except this one has a ball mount on the back
http://www.slipgripcarmounts.com/SlipGrip-RAM-Holder-For-iPhone-4-4S-Using-OtterBox-Commuter_p_128237.html

Can anyone recommend what arm length to go for for the ram arm? they have 6, 3.5 and 2.3" inch lengths. I am assuming that the top and bottom of the arm has a socket for the ball to attach to the honda, and the other to the slip grip mount. If its that easy, I'm excited to try this out!

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
My next question would be about what parts to get.. I haven't used any RAM mounts in the past so I am unfamiliar with the parts.
Yep, your slip grip mount is just like what I did with the belt clip mount that comes with the Defender line.

For the Ram mounting stuff you have it right. Three components, a ball mounted somewhere on the bike, a ball mounted to the back of your component and an arm linking the two.

Now I might be different, but I keep three balls.

1) between the bars (my normal phone location, discrete and protected, still visible, phone provides turn prompts via headset when using it as direction indicating device.)
bars.jpg

2) on top of brake cover (phone location when using a tank bag.)
brake_cover.jpg

3) top of dash (normally used for Nuvi gps on long hauls)
dash_mount.jpg

Now I got lucky and bought a dash mount from a local craftsman, dr1954. He got a nice new beemer gifted to him, so didn't need the mount for a steed. As you can see, not to hard to make one yourself. Buy some clip nuts from a local hardware store to replace the plastic rivets at the top of the dash, put a slight curve to a piece of metal and mount a ram ball. Now his is offset a bit, not sure what his intent was, but I swap it around front to back to put the ball away from me or towards me more. I need to powder-coat this, but until it warms up again and I can vent the house while I bake the paint... won't happen.
Dash-over.jpg

Oh.. if using a phone with a capacitive screen, all iPhones, be sure to mount one of these too. A stylus on a leash, put it somewhere convenient for you. Super handy as most gloves aren't real precise (if they work at all).
Stylus.jpg

Top Bottom