Progressive shock and drive shaft questions

Bike
92 ST1100
If you choose synthetic oil for the final drive, 75-140w is replacement for conventional 80-90w gear oil because of 'pound-out' and cling factor. I opted for RoyalPurple 75-140w with a definite reduced final drive temperature checked with an infared in comparision. Heat=friction;).

OP
OP
Suprabuddha, where are you located? I'm sure someone here is close enough to give you a hand with things. Look for Tech Events in your area, great way to learn and have a great time.

Gary.
I am located in NJ....hmm will do thank you!
It is helpful to replace the drain bolt before you start filling the final drive. I like to use Honda's hypoid gear oil. It is not expensive.
haha yeah I bet plugging it in back in will stop the oil dripping back out! Thanks for the suggestion.

If you choose synthetic oil for the final drive, 75-140w is replacement for conventional 80-90w gear oil because of 'pound-out' and cling factor. I opted for RoyalPurple 75-140w with a definite reduced final drive temperature checked with an infared in comparision. Heat=friction;).
Good to know! I always try to use synthetic whenever possible! Thanks!!

Excellent idea. Suprabuddha, please post your city and state. It does no good to post USA as your location. I may very well be that some kind ST owner lives near you and can help you out. Best of luck.
I live in North Jersey right on the border of NJ and NY.
Thank you!!

Bike
'98 ST1100
STOC #
I opted for RoyalPurple 75-140w with a definite reduced final drive temperature checked with an infared in comparision. Heat=friction;).
Definitely good info. to know !! Thanks. What was the temperature difference ? And was the ambient temp. the same on the days you took the measurements ? That would make a difference in the two measurements, I believe, if the ambient temp. was different on the two days.

Last edited:
Bike
'98 ST1100
STOC #
In order to get the most height shaven off I screwed the collar all the way up so the spring is stretched to the top leaving no room for it to go anywhere. This is why I'm assuming I can live with out the locking collar if it did indeed come with one.
BTW, the amount of pre-load ( how much the spring is compressed by adjusting the position of the ring ) should be such that the shock in compressed about 1/3 of it's total travel with you on the bike and the bike off the center stand. I'm sure with the ring positioned all the way up, you are no where near the optimum position. This may cause a problem when going over a large bump. If I remember correctly, with my 465 shock/spring , I needed about 7/8 " "static" compression. Not sure about your 420 shock ......

Bike
92 ST1100
Definitely good info. to know !! Thanks. What was the temperature difference ? And was the ambient temp. the same on the days you took the measurements ? That would make a difference in the two measurements, I believe, if the ambient temp. was different on the two days.
It's been a few yrs. back, so I couldn't even make an honest guess at this point Jim. Same 'slab'(I-70,Grand Junction,Co. to Green River, Utah..approx. 125mi.), approx. same ambient temp both times(100-102F) which lead me to comprision. Biggest point I was making, no matter what choice of syn. gear lube, is the viscosity rating. 75-140w is synthetic replacement for 80-90w conventional gear oil. I had previously seen the internal results of using 80-90w synthetic gear lube in final drive of an XS1100(not mine) that was ridden 800+mi. at 'slab' speeds(75-85mph), with some heat blueing on bearings and such. I'm sure the 80-90w syn. would of been fine for local variable speed/load pressures riding, but would be a little 'iffy' for the LD ride at constant slab speeds.......JMO;).
For comparision, my F-350's differential is tagged 75-140w syn. ONLY. That same identical differential years prior to common use of syn. lubes required conventional EP80-90w. Other applications where bushings replaced roller bearings as a producion savings, lighter viscosity lubes are used due to the tighter tolerances using bushings as opposed to roller bearings......JAT.

Last edited:
Bike
'98 ST1100
STOC #
It's been a few yrs. back, so I couldn't even make an honest guess at this point Jim. Same 'slab'(I-70,Grand Junction,Co. to Green River, Utah..approx. 125mi.), approx. same ambient temp both times(100-102F) which lead me to comprision.
That's what i needed to know - Thanks, Brant. Looks like I'll be using 75W-140 synthetic in the future - got some in the garage that I use in my Jeep. Less heat = less wear & better gas mileage, too.

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
Earlier this summer I emailed these folks http://www.twowheelmotorsport.com/pro-action-suspension.htm to see if they could service the "progressive 420 shock." At the time they wouldn't commit, they recommended that I bring it in for them to have a look. This shop is located just north of Guelph Ontario and is an hours drive for me.
Today I brought it in, and there was some optimism expressed. He didn't see any evidence of leaking and it may just need to have it serviced and charged. The price quoted was $180 Canadian, parts extra. (Though that included oil and nitrogen) $75 bench fee if it's a loser.
Didn't seem to phase them when I mentioned that progressive in the States no longer stocks parts. I will find out in a week if they can actually do something with it. They will test the spring rate as well. He was keen that all the stats on the shock were stamped on the parts throughout the spring.

I acquired this shock over a year ago at ONSTock If I recall the owner said he had about 40K miles on it and I put on another 15K since installing it.
Prices I've been quoted for the 465 range from $400 to $700. Vicous cycle (twisted throttle quoted $500) Still a chunk of change for a 25 year old bike. ;)

STraymond

Site Supporter
Bike
'01 ST1100
STOC #
Since we're discussing the servicing of the Progressive shocks, has anyone had a 465-1128 (ST1100) serviced? If so, who did the work, what was done, and about how much did it cost?

Ray

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
Update on my progressive 420 shock. It has been serviced, the spring is still at spec. It was taken apart, cleaned and tested. they replaced the oil and charged it with nitrogen. Apparently there was no nitrogen in the shock when I brought it in (it doesn't take much to discharge the gas a quick tap on the valve can release 80% of it. so keep those valve caps on tight). Total price in Canadian dollars including taxes and disposal fees is $185.29 CDN. Hopefully I should be able to get a few more seasons.

Bike
2003 ST1100P
STOC #
Update on my progressive 420 shock. It has been serviced, the spring is still at spec. It was taken apart, cleaned and tested. they replaced the oil and charged it with nitrogen. Apparently there was no nitrogen in the shock when I brought it in (it doesn't take much to discharge the gas a quick tap on the valve can release 80% of it. so keep those valve caps on tight). Total price in Canadian dollars including taxes and disposal fees is $185.29 CDN. Hopefully I should be able to get a few more seasons.
Please post what the "spec" spring rate is or what the shop measured. I think my 420 has had the spring changed. Thanks. Jim

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
Please post what the "spec" spring rate is or what the shop measured. I think my 420 has had the spring changed. Thanks. Jim
On my bill it says, the spring is still @stock spec. 3. The fellow that rebuilt it wasn't there when I picked it up.image.jpg
the number on the spring is 1156 375/465

Bike
2003 ST1100P
STOC #
On my bill it says, the spring is still @stock spec. 3. The fellow that rebuilt it wasn't there when I picked it up.image.jpg
the number on the spring is 1156 375/465
Thanks for the quick response. The number on mine is the same and the /465 is what makes me believe it's been changed. Pictures I have found of the 420 show a red spring with /420 on it. Progressive's standard response is "we no longer service or stock parts for that unit". Makes me wonder if they know something was wrong with the original design/parts/etc. Jim

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
I've seen different colours in my search. I think it depends on what bike they go on.
I will be passing through your fine State in March as I have to go to Winnipeg for a month. (driving a cage this time)

Top Bottom