Just a quick question on putting in right brake fluid

Hey guys I just wanted to make sure I'm going to be using the right DOT4 brake fluid.

Prestone DOT 4

And might as we ask here this too.

It's ok to use Prestones car coolant fluid?

I can pretty much use all car products except the engine oil that has the energy conserving additive due to the wet clutch, correct?

One last thing, there is a K&N air filter on it but it seems to have filter oil on it. Is this correct?

After how many miles should it be replaced?

Thanks for all your help!!!!

Last edited:
Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
The brake fluid is fine. The coolant is questionable, until you ascertain that it is silicate and/or borate free. Your water pump seal will be destroyed, in time, by those additives. Many prefer to use Honda type 2 coolant. The K & N are considered crap by some, a great saving by others. Usually problems arise with them if the foam sleeve is used with the filter, or if it is over oiled. Its filtering capabilities are questionable, when compared with the OEM filter.

OP
OP
Thanks for your reply!

So as long as it is silicate and borate free I can use the fluid?

And why do people have problems with the foam sleeve?

How do I know if it's over oiled? Solutions?

It says on the site it can last up to 50K miles before needing to be cleaned....these are re-useable?

thank you so much

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
Thanks for your reply!

So as long as it is silicate and borate free I can use the fluid?

And why do people have problems with the foam sleeve?

How do I know if it's over oiled? Solutions?

It says on the site it can last up to 50K miles before needing to be cleaned....these are re-useable?

thank you so much
If the coolant label doesn't specifically say silicate free, I wouldn't use it. With the Honda coolant you have no uncertainties. Buy gallon size at a Honda car dealer.

The foam sleeve on the K & N restricts the air flow too much, to the point the engine does not run well, at least on the 1100 model. Yes, it is re-usable. As flyfisher says, there are better choices.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ok cool got it thank you

I have the ST1100 and will just go get the coolant from a Honda dealership. I guess I will buy an emgo filter in a little while. Excuse my ignorance but I've only seen Emgo brand on ebay. Isn't K&N brand way more superior?

OP
OP
Oh goody... a K&N filter thread is started just before PMS season! (Parked Motorcycle Syndrome :) )
? I'm just saying I'm not aware of the emgo brand as kuch as k&n.. i never really cared for k&n either but there's gotta be a reason it's better known no?

Bike
2010 ST1300
Search this site for K & N air filter discussions. There have been quite a few threads about how good they are or are not. I think there is a link to a guy who wrote a knowledgeable discussion about these filters. Bottom line seems to be they do an adequate job and pass more air than a paper element and may yield more power when the bike is properly tuned for it. It also will pass, with the 'more air' more dirt which will shorten the life of the engine. Cleaning and reoiling the filters is easy, if messy. (Why add more maintenance for dubious benefits?) If you read the threads and what is out there in google land, you can make your own informed decision about these filters. Note that the word adequate is ripe for definition. As mentioned above, the oil on the filters can cause problems if it drips off and plugs the 5-way tee. (How can there be a 5 way Tee? Never mind....). See the thread, 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it'. (Just kidding).

Btw, there are a few subjects here that have been - like that proverbial nail - beaten to death. Which oil do I use, which filter, k n n's, what tire is best, etc. are some of them. These really have no single answer - you pays your money, you makes your choice. It is probably best to do a search in the upper right corner of your screen and read what has already been posted before asking a question. There are relatively few questions that have not already been asked and answered. If you have a real problem - how to do this or that, you will get lots of help here.

Last edited:

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
? I'm just saying
I'm not picking on you.
I have followed the K&N discussions for years... One of our ST1100s has a K&N and the other doesn't.
Both get excellent gas mileage and both bikes have given years of excellent service.

YMMV!
:D

Bike
92 ST1100
Not a K&N fan enough to intentionally convert to them, but since my ST already had one installed when I bought it 10yrs. ago, I just wash it clean, blow majority of wet off and let dry. Then lightly spray outside with PJ1 air filter oil. Also, there is no foam ring on outside of the K&N on the bike.

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
I don't get the idea that certain topics have been beaten to death and that newbies should stumble through hundreds of posts in the search function to *maybe* find an answer that suits their question. We were all newbies here once upon a time and we asked those questions and got answers. There are still some here willing to step forward to address the "beaten topics" with newbies and isn't that being more hospitable to those wanting to feel a part of the group, than telling them to go search the forum? You get more flies with honey than vinegar.

OP
OP
I'm not picking on you.
I have followed the K&N discussions for years... One of our ST1100s has a K&N and the other doesn't.
Both get excellent gas mileage and both bikes have given years of excellent service.

YMMV!
:D
Haha sorry I was just confused. Wasn't trying to take it personally.

Just buy what makes you happy.
Will do, with the help of you guys :)

Not a K&N fan enough to intentionally convert to them, but since my ST already had one installed when I bought it 10yrs. ago, I just wash it clean, blow majority of wet off and let dry. Then lightly spray outside with PJ1 air filter oil. Also, there is no foam ring on outside of the K&N on the bike.
Just wash off with plain old water, let dry, re-oil?

I don't get the idea that certain topics have been beaten to death and that newbies should stumble through hundreds of posts in the search function to *maybe* find an answer that suits their question. We were all newbies here once upon a time and we asked those questions and got answers. There are still some here willing to step forward to address the "beaten topics" with newbies and isn't that being more hospitable to those wanting to feel a part of the group, than telling them to go search the forum? You get more flies with honey than vinegar.
Yeah thanks, I wasn't trying to start a whole debate, just was wanting to clarify if I am missing out on some simple information that made would explain why a more uncommon brand is usually suggested over a brand like K&N. Like every other thing in the world, I'm aware some make products of equal or better quality for less money. Just wanted to know if that was the case.

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
I do have a bit of hesitancy to broach the subject; but, yeah, I should have answered the question.

There are data that supports the people that feel that K&N filters let too many, and larger, particulates through.
There are people that have used the K&N for years and are satisfied with the results.
Emgo brand filters have a following as well and I haven't heard anything bad about Emgo products.

The OEM filters are expensive again and again; but,, are designed for the ST1100.
The K&N are expensive once; but, may shorten the life of the engine, again, YMMV.
Emgo make a replacement that I have been told fits (I haven't seen one).
Other owners use a car air filter and put a circle of gas line around the top/bottom? to make it fit. I feel that this will restrict the air flow by some number of square inches and I'm not sure how this will effect the leanness or richness of the air/fuel mixture.

All of the above filters let us... Go Ride!

Bike
2012 ST1300A
I've traded emails with Prestone on that coolant- it is absolutely fine to use in any vehicle be it car, truck or bike. The brake fluid would be too, if you are certain you have syn in there now or are willing to empty the system and switch over to syn instead (and I mean really empty- nothing left).

I stay away from chain lube and filter conversations...

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
There is no evidence of a K&N air filter ever causing any damage to any ST1100. Period. The tests thrown up every time to 'prove' how bad they are need to be closely examined. Displaying a chart in such a way as to infer that a one or two percent difference between filters (that may or may not be anything like the ST1100 filter) in one category or another -- is HUGE, is disingenuous. The supposedly 'best' filters in the tests often posted on this subject, if they could even be fitted to an ST1100, would probably make the engine barely run... And no, my ST is not a dump truck that is operated in a gravel pit (one of the 'tests' often cited).

I have 178K on a K&N, as do many others with high mileage ST1100s. I recommend you just leave yours in and enjoy the savings in replacement costs. Here's what you need to service your K&N:
http://www.knfilters.com/search/product.aspx?prod=99-5050
and here's how to do it:
http://www.knfilters.com/instructions/18627C_inst.pdf

edit: dish soap works just fine to clean a dirty K&N. Rinse well and let dry, then apply the K&N oil (sparingly, don't overdo).

edit2: get your Honda coolant from the parts desk at a Honda car dealership. In gallon jugs it's cheaper than the quart bottles labeled for motorcycles. Same stuff.

Regards, John

Last edited:
Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
Yeppers.......what John O. stated bout' covers it;).

I've used K&N in every bike I've ever owned.

To OP: notice the recommended cleaning interval in the link John provided is ~50k miles, so no need to clean it more often than that.

Top Bottom