Just a quick question on putting in right brake fluid

OP
OP
I do have a bit of hesitancy to broach the subject; but, yeah, I should have answered the question.

There are data that supports the people that feel that K&N filters let too many, and larger, particulates through.
There are people that have used the K&N for years and are satisfied with the results.
Emgo brand filters have a following as well and I haven't heard anything bad about Emgo products.

The OEM filters are expensive again and again; but,, are designed for the ST1100.
The K&N are expensive once; but, may shorten the life of the engine, again, YMMV.
Emgo make a replacement that I have been told fits (I haven't seen one).
Other owners use a car air filter and put a circle of gas line around the top/bottom? to make it fit. I feel that this will restrict the air flow by some number of square inches and I'm not sure how this will effect the leanness or richness of the air/fuel mixture.

All of the above filters let us... Go Ride!
Haha understand, no problems. I did see a very old article comparing different brand filters and see where you're coming from.

I've traded emails with Prestone on that coolant- it is absolutely fine to use in any vehicle be it car, truck or bike. The brake fluid would be too, if you are certain you have syn in there now or are willing to empty the system and switch over to syn instead (and I mean really empty- nothing left).

I stay away from chain lube and filter conversations...
Oh cool! Thanks! So they said it is silicate and borate free?

There is no evidence of a K&N air filter ever causing any damage to any ST1100. Period. The tests thrown up every time to 'prove' how bad they are need to be closely examined. Displaying a chart in such a way as to infer that a one or two percent difference between filters (that may or may not be anything like the ST1100 filter) in one category or another -- is HUGE, is disingenuous. The supposedly 'best' filters in the tests often posted on this subject, if they could even be fitted to an ST1100, would probably make the engine barely run... And no, my ST is not a dump truck that is operated in a gravel pit (one of the 'tests' often cited).

I have 178K on a K&N, as do many others with high mileage ST1100s. I recommend you just leave yours in and enjoy the savings in replacement costs. Here's what you need to service your K&N:
http://www.knfilters.com/search/product.aspx?prod=99-5050
and here's how to do it:
http://www.knfilters.com/instructions/18627C_inst.pdf

edit: dish soap works just fine to clean a dirty K&N. Rinse well and let dry, then apply the K&N oil (sparingly, don't overdo).

edit2: get your Honda coolant from the parts desk at a Honda car dealership. In gallon jugs it's cheaper than the quart bottles labeled for motorcycles. Same stuff.

Regards, John
Thanks for the links and tips my man. I wish they would do more controlled and better executed tests for different brand filters for the same type of bike/car/whatever.
Wow 178k on the same filter!? I guess K&N filters ain't too bad!

I've used K&N in every bike I've ever owned.

To OP: notice the recommended cleaning interval in the link John provided is ~50k miles, so no need to clean it more often than that.
Got it! Thanks!!

Papa

R.I.P. - 2020/02/10
Rest In Peace
Bike
Blue Breeze
STOC #
I gave my K & N away to someone on here. They pass more air which in my book means less filtering. I could tell the difference in the sound of the intake in WOT. They're probably just fine but I'm happy with OEM filters. Thanks for the post.

Kevin_56

Site Supporter
Bike
20 R1250RT
STOC #
I've traded emails with Prestone on that coolant- it is absolutely fine to use in any vehicle be it car, truck or bike.
Last fall when working on my oil leak in the "V", I drained the radiator more time than I care to count to replace components thought to be the culprit. I had bought a gallon of the "Safe for ALL" and looked hard to see the words Silicate Free. I did find a gallon labeled Silicate Free. I think the one without the actual words is the NEW labeling gallon. Glad to read that it is in fact OK to use.

Top Bottom