Where's My Coolant?

Bike
ST 1300
I have an '07 with 156K miles that has been pretty much trouble free. (insert knock on wood smiley here).
My question is I have noticed that there is no coolant in my reservoir bottle. Ive done cooling system service twice, and two other times I have checked the bottle and found it empty. There are no leaks and the bike has always run with 3 bars. This includes running in temps from the 30s to well over a 100.
Personally I'm not worried about it, since so far the bike is running fine. Just wondering if anyone had any thoughts. Thx

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
When you serviced the coolant those two times, after filling the radiator, did you run it, let it cool down and check the radiator again to make sure it was full? My guess is that the radiator wasn't full and it pulled all the coolant out of the bottle.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
+1 on Bob's comments... also, if you run it empty, the exhaust header will burn a hole in the plastic so keep an eye on that. It should be at the full mark at all times.

OP
OP
ASDstar
Bike
ST 1300
Honestly, don't think I did re-fill it. Must be It. Ive topped it off and it seems to be holding liquid.
Thanks for help.

CYYJ

Michael
Bike
None any more.
STOC #
Apropos of low coolant levels - I have noticed that my ST 1300 seems to consume coolant. When I purchased the bike (used) at the end of October, the coolant level was low, at the bottom of the acceptable range marked on the reservoir bottle. I added coolant to bring it up to just below the maximum level mark, then rode 7,000 miles.

When I checked it again after that 7,000 mile trip, the coolant level was once again back down at the bottom mark. I can't find any evidence of coolant leakage anywhere on the engine or cooling system.

Is it normal for the coolant level in the bottle to diminish like this? Could it be evaporation due to proximity to the exhaust system?

Michael

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
Is it normal for the coolant level in the bottle to diminish like this? Could it be evaporation due to proximity to the exhaust system?

Michael
Could the main system (did you look inthe radiator?) have been low and you are just replacing it by sucking it in?

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
:plus1: on the refil after service comment. You should only be checking the level when bike is hot at operating temps.
When it cools down it does in fact suck it back into system.
I have had so many people tell me they have no leaks...only to show then the huge green stain down the right side of the engine.
It will not make it to ground as in puddle due to engine heat evaporates it unless the leak is really bad.

Top Bottom