Add my bike to the LEAKS :(

Bike
'07STA
STOC #
Lately I have been having antifreeze leak. I went for a drive today and the leak is getting worse (I think)

Any and all suggestions

:mad:

:(

:please1:

Thanks for all your help
:chatter: :bigpop:
:D

BakerBoy

It's all small stuff.
STOC #
Looks to be both 'loose' clamps on the hoses under the throttle body (coolant from there drips through the square hole) and a water pump seal leak (coolant from the seal drips through the round hole).
:(

Edit: I'd first start with the loose clamps and leaks from the hoses under the throttle body. Then, see if there really is weeping from the round hole (water pump seal).

OP
OP
Tdinova
Bike
'07STA
STOC #
I'm on vacation from Dec 17 to Jan 2.. I have a project.... My gas tank is 3/4 full and I have to drain and remove the top tank. I can siphon the top tank but when I remove the hose attaching the up tank to the lower, gasoline will pour out. I guess siphon the top, start the bike and let the top tank run empty. At what point will I know the top tank is empty? 2 more questions. Is there a gas gauge in the top tank and if so should I siphon from the right or left side to avoid damaging to the gauge? Should I replace any hoses while I am deep inside?

Thanks

Last edited:

BakerBoy

It's all small stuff.
STOC #
Best way to drain is to ride it--get it down to 1 bar on the gas gage so that only the lower tank contains fuel. Siphoning risks damage to the float arm and fuel level detector (others have reported damage doing that).

I ran mine 10 years on the original coolant hoses, after adding breeze clamps early in the life of the bike. The fuel tank joint hose (main hose between upper and lower tank) should be replaced, my opinion... last thing you want is a damaged hose and 5+ gallons of fuel on the garage floor or dripping into the bike when it is hot.

Kevin_56

Site Supporter
Bike
20 R1250RT
STOC #
Seeing where you are located, riding it to empty the tank is probably out of the question. Flashing on the gas gauge is an indicator that the upper tank is out or just about. I replaced all of my hoses May of 2013 or 10 years of use and 100,000 miles on the bike. Most were easy to moderate to replace, but the two that go to the oil filter that cools the oil took quite a bit of time. Insert here that Scott Beck (Scooter) actually did these and based on the amount of time, it was not easy to do, but he did get it done. There is a "kit" that contains the upper to lower fuel hose and the two clamps that have really nice retaining clips that hold them open to ease assembly. I do not have that part number real handy but will try to locate it. A search for ground wire recall kit might do it. Here it is. You only need the hose and 2 clamps, but this kit is cheaper than getting the individual parts.

Good luck and others will chime in, trust me.

OP
OP
Tdinova
Bike
'07STA
STOC #
Seeing where you are located, riding it to empty the tank is probably out of the question. .

Yes I may wait until spring... gonna be a long winter........... but who knows.. going for small runs with the bike not warm will burn extra fuel......
It calling for sunny sky's and +1c tomorrow.. hmnmmmm

Thanks for all the reply's

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
My gas tank is 3/4 full and I have to drain and remove the top tank. I can siphon the top tank but when I remove the hose attaching the up tank to the lower, gasoline will pour out.
Actually there is an easy way to drain top and a part of the lower.

One of the small hoses on top of the lower tank, if you pull it off and quickly replace it with a small hose going to your gas holder vessel will allow the top tank to drain down and through. As long as you keep the hose below the lower tank, it will even siphon out part of the lower tank.

I'll try to get outside and take a picture in a bit.

OP
OP
Tdinova
Bike
'07STA
STOC #
Actually there is an easy way to drain top and a part of the lower.
I have the service manual and it shows clearly how to drain the upper and lower tank. Last night I found the fuel tank on line and seen the float on the right side. I siphoned as much as possible from the left side. I turned on the key and was at 2 bars... It was 3c today so I drove and drove in 2 and 3rd gear until I was frozen. I put about 40kms on the ST. Got home and then realized I had the service manual..... Starting Wednesday/Thursday I am going to tackle the job.

There is one thing I forgot to mention. I found the leak about 3 week ago. Landed home and seen the drips. I removed the plastic, but the dirt/grime/antifreeze was everywhere. Washed it off and left it dry. After 2-3 days I started the bike to try and find the leak.. NO LEAK to be found. I left the bike warm up 3 bars and still no leak. I done this 2 more times with no leak appearing. BUT when I went for a drive yesterday the leak appeared again.

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
I have the service manual and it shows clearly how to drain the upper and lower tank.
Not sure what the manual shows.. but here is how I do it. It'll siphon itself and no danger of messing up the floats.

IMG_1710.JPGIMG_1704.JPG

Just need a piece of 3' tubing. Be sure the tubing is ready to go when you pull off the black hose, and be sure the other end of the tubing is either in the catching container or at a level higher then the top of the tank.

OP
OP
Tdinova
Bike
'07STA
STOC #
Not sure what the manual shows...
It shows pictures and how to. There way is no spillage, but your way looks just as good, make sure the bike is cold before your way

I always jump when something happens.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tdinova
Bike
'07STA
STOC #
I've been doing some research on the possibility of changing the water pump/seal. I was reading a lot about the round hole and the square hole. I finally looked at my picture and found the round hole and the square hole.

Makes perfect sense
square hole = clamps
round hole = water pump seal.

This one is wrong

I circled the wrong spot...
see lower post with picture from manual 2003-2007 page 6-19

This one is correct

Does everyone agree or am I way off?

Gotta love winter coming. I hear the wind howling outside.

Last edited:

Kevin_56

Site Supporter
Bike
20 R1250RT
STOC #
Your correct on the diagnoses of what is leaking but you have identified the round hole incorrectly. It is the hole directly left of the hose clamp in the above picture. You can see a trail of coolant running down from it.

See page 6-18 for the service manual if you have one. Top picture.

OP
OP
Tdinova
Bike
'07STA
STOC #
Your correct on the diagnoses of what is leaking but you have identified the round hole incorrectly. It is the hole directly left of the hose clamp in the above picture. You can see a trail of coolant running down from it.

See page 6-18 for the service manual if you have one. Top picture.
I'll be back. Off to the garage to have a look at page 6-18

OP
OP
Tdinova
Bike
'07STA
STOC #
Update. From my 2003-2007 manual

Great catch Kevin. What did we do 15/20 years ago without the internet/forums/digital cameras/great people to converse on problems... THE STEALERS had it all

OP
OP
Tdinova
Bike
'07STA
STOC #
You can clearly see the bottom rad hose in the video I found on You Tube

Last edited:

Kevin_56

Site Supporter
Bike
20 R1250RT
STOC #
Only because I spent a week trying to locate an oil leak last September and was very intimate with this area of the bike.

OP
OP
Tdinova
Bike
'07STA
STOC #
Well I couldn't wait until tomorrow. Temp was 3c after work today so I removed the upper fuel tank. I used my new JIS screw drivers to remove the screws securing the outer air box screws and snorkels . I was scared to try the the screws holding the airbox to the throttle body. I held down on the screwdriver and all screws came out easily. I looked at the manual before tackling the throttle body.. This is not my 1981 cb750 Custom or my sons 1980 CB650 (remove gas tank, clamps holding on the carbs and airbox etc..)

1st off it says to drain the coolant system.

Then a bunch of other stuff has to be removed..

Here is a picture of the guts of the matter

Here is a picture where I seen some coolant. It was hard to take the picture

I have some questions to ask

1 Do I have to drain the coolant to remove the throttle body
2 Are the clamps holding the throttle body that hard to loosen to remove the throttle body
3 What parts should I replace, fuel lines and clamp from tank to bottom tank, O rings, seals......
4 I seen some post saying you do not have to remove the throttle to tighten the clamps... who said it and is it true...

This is my rant for the day

Last edited:

Kevin_56

Site Supporter
Bike
20 R1250RT
STOC #
!. Yes there are coolant lines going to the throttle bodies. Cover the floor with news paper as no matter how fast you pull the lower hose in a bucket, there will be a mess.

2. You will find it easy if you have a LONG #2 Phillips in the 8'' range. Be careful to not rotate the clamps while turning to loosen them.

3. It is recommended to replace the fuel line if you remove the upper tank. I listed a kit part number that has the hose and clamps. See post #5. At 100,000 miles i replaced all of my coolant hoses. They were not that bad, but I plan on keeping my bike for a while.

4. You can get at most from the front if you remove the radiator. There are a few that have to be done from the top once the bodies are removed. Been there, done that.

Top Bottom