Trailer light adapter

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
I seemed to have answered one of my questions from earlier this year.. but uncovered a strange plot along the way. Do you know they are now selling LED-compatible trailer turn signal adapters. AR ethe just bs-ing us... are these the digial ready speakers of the new millenia?

First the video. This is the third brake light/turn signal I have had installed on my bike for awhile. Actually, this is the second bike it has been installed on. But something changed. First I do a left turn, then a right turn, then the 4-way hazard flashers.

[video=youtube_share;1Nb0vycyUFk]http://youtu.be/1Nb0vycyUFk[/video]

Did you catch it... watch the 3rd brake when the 4-way is flashing. Alternates to each side. Once on the left, next on the right, back to left, etc...

Here is how this popped up. Earlier this year I tried to convert my ST to full LED on the turn signal and brake light's. Well it seemed to cause strange issues when I put LED's in the rear turn signals after I already had the front on switchback LED's. I thought it was cheap LED's, little did I know.

The second time I tried the conversion it happened again. I would activate the brake lights and the turn signals would light up. After pondering for awhile, looking at the schematics, the only place I could find a cross was the trailer adapter. I barely remembered it there been so long since I installed it.

Pulled it out and sure enough all the problems went away. But so did my third brake-light.

In the spirit... I think i can re-wire this.

Measuring and figuring I find the adapter is backfeeding the turn signal circuit when I apply the brakes. I figured I would fix this problem with a couple of diodes in the turn signal lines feeding into the adapter. That'll fix any backfeed.

Nope!

Apparently the adapter is getting or checking for some ground from the turn signal circuit.

So the LED compatible trailer adapter is not because you have LED lights on the trailers, it is because you have all LED lights on the tow vehicle.

Top Bottom