Saying goodbye to my ST the hard way.... From a hospital bed.

We'll after just over 30,000 miles I rear ended a merging car on the highway and I don't think she is rebuildable. After I am up and around I will work on dismantling it and seeing if any members need available parts. Also if anyone is interested in how my gear survived I would be happy to post that also as that's the only reason I'm here. I had it all on head to toe

Attachments

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
Wow that looks like a very bad day there!! I hope you are not busted up to bad and get out of the hospital soon. The bike can be replaced.

Bike
2004, ST 1300
Take your time and get well, bikes can always be replaced.
When you are ready you can let us know about your gear.Jim.

Nashcat

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 Versys 1000LT
STOC #
It's good to hear that you're up and around after that episode. When you're able, take an inventory of what you need to rebuild. If that list gets too big, I guess a search for a replacement bike would be in order.

We're all just glad you're OK.

John and Janis

OP
OP
cherokeeST
As far as I can tell the biggest problem is that the frame is cracked on the steering neck. I have another bike though. It's a 2008 Vulcan 2000. It doesn't seem to me that she is rebuildable.

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
Ouch! Glad to hear you are okay and that gear did it's job.

But once you are back on your feet, a little paste wax for the plastic and some duck tape for the frame. Good as new. It was regularly serviced, right?

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
The good news is that you are able to tell us about it.

Of course, the bad news is I think you are right, too much damage to try to rebuild it.

Heal quickly and don't over do it!

Throttlejockey

Padden is my hero
Bike
06 ST1300
STOC #
Too bad about the bike and replying from the hospital bed. Hope you heal up fast. Looking forward to the gear pictures.

On another note....I'm interested in the right side passenger peg/exhaust mount though and a few other things.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I am glad you did come out of this as well as you did. Get well soon and get on that Vulcan.

OP
OP
cherokeeST
I am actually home today. And from what I saw the two bros exhaust lived as well as mcl highway blades and pass drop brackets and the Corbin seat. Other than that I'll have to break it down to find out what is save able. As far as gear I had a Fly Butane 3 jacket that took the brunt of the pavement and is very torn up on all corners, but I have ZERO rash where it covered. Only where it slid up. So from my butt cheek to my upper kidney. My helmet faired rough as we'll, but protected me. My lip is pretty bad from where my teeth punctured it when I hit the inside on the chinshield. My gloves faired the worst. They ripped a lot and I have rash all over my knuckles and missing fingernails. They were also not leather or a thick denier and had no hard armor.

Attachments

OP
OP
cherokeeST
My gloves we're Fly racing Aurora model winter gloves. Boots were cordura upper Justin cowboy boots. Those held up excellent and other than being ugly now they are still wearable. The ST was an '06

Bike
2018 NC750X
STOC #
Sorry to hear about the get off... It is a good thing to be able to talk and tell us about it. Heal up... then you can look for another bike.

Bike
Vstrom 650
Glad you are mostly ok,seems to be a lot of accidents lately,with people preoccupied with Christmas shopping now the roads here are very dangerous at the minute,they don't even see my well lit jeep coming sometimes not to mind a bike.
I read some stuff lately re protective gear and I think leather with good armour is still the safest option.
Get well soon and get back in the saddle!!

Top Bottom