Saying goodbye to my ST the hard way.... From a hospital bed.

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #
I'm late to the party but glad the bike died and you're just dinged up a little.
Missing finger nails ok maybe more than a little. Ouch! Glad you're up and about and posting about it.

Not an hour ago shopping at the mall a lady stops me "you ride a motorcycle?"
[Inside voice..the gear and the helmet in my hand tipped you off/no I just fall down a lot] "Yeah"
"What do you think about these gloves my husband rides"
"hmm well the fleece ones you have, the winds gonna go right thru them and those knit ones are gonna be worse and they'll suck up rain."
Puzzled look.
"Stick with leather the wind won't blow thru them like these" point to some on the rack.
"Oh thanks"
"A mile down the road there's a honda/yamaha motorcycle store. They'll have what your looking for"

30 mins before that I was at the dealer and sent sent the parts guy on a successful scavenger hunt for moly paste. He knew what it was and found a tube!

l84toff

Riding 2up around the world
Bike
Tiger Explorer 1200
I hope you get well soon. Fingernails will grow back as did my toenail when it fell off after I stubbed my toe once. It could have been much worse...your accident not my toenail. Was just reading about a Vlogger who crashed his scooter in Asia doing a little more than jogging speed and lost a couple of fingers, plus broken legs and more. He was not ATGATT!

I'm writing because this morning I got on the bike thinking of your post and grabbed my leather Held gloves over my much thinner Klim suede summer gloves. We were heading out for an all day highway run here in Mexico and I thought there's really no reason not to wear the good stuff.

Although it's crappy to be in an accident, it's inspired me to think a bit more before getting on the bike nonchalantly. So thank you for sharing it. Wishing you a speedy recovery.

OP
OP
cherokeeST
So I let the ST go today. My Dad bought her with the hopes of rebuilding. Since he is self-employed, a machinist, and a motorcycle technician by trade he has the time, ability, and patience for a project like this. Also he couldn't say no since he has ridden it and how can someone not love the way an ST rides :) So for now I have some piddly stuff that needs done to the V2K, but I am thankful to have another bike. I am up and getting around well for the first time since the wreck today. Thanks for all the well wishes and encouragement guys. I will see you on the twisties again, just a little bit slower and scraping a bit more floorboard than I would be if I was on the ST.

Attachments

Bike
ST1300
STOC #
Fingernails???? yuck!!!

that sounds awful!
+1. I'm guessing that may be the most painful of cherokeeST's injuries, or maybe a close tie with the road rash on the backside. Very fortunate there were no broken bones or internal injuries, but I know that road rash can be very painful, sometimes long after it heals. Here's hoping for a quick and complete recovery.

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Glad to hear you're up and getting around, even if it is a bit painful! :hurt1:

It's great that your dad is taking on rebuilding it. Have him contact me so I can give him some pointers on rebuilding these bikes. There are a few things that might help him.

Top Bottom