Help me find the right GPS?

Bike
07 Yamaha FJR1300AE
I've been searching for a budget GPS and I'm overwhelmed by all of the options. I'm wondering if you all might help me with some input based on what you're using.
I can only spend about $150 so the motorcycle-specific units are out of the question. I rarely see rain in AZ so waterproofing isn't an issue.

Things that are important to me are:
  • audio jack, or some way to plug in to my J&M audio. My J&M and helmet are wired, not bluetooth, but I have an iPhone if that matters.
  • lifetime free maps
  • can create multi-point routes
  • speed limit indicator
  • fast turn-on/reception

I've tried to compare models online but I haven't found a site that will let me compare by all the options. Then I go to Amazon and more models show up and I get distracted again. :eek::
Any help or even links would be appreciated, thanks.

Bike
2021 Tracer 9GT
STOC #
It looks like the Garmin Nuvi line will fit your needs, or at least most of them. The audio port may be an issue in your price range. Ebay has a multitude of used and refurbed units.

This may help, there is a compare function:

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/nüvi Essential/on-the-road/automotive/2014-line/cOnTheRoad-cAutomotive-c574-bBRAND467-p1.html

I use a Nuvi 500 because it is simple and waterproof. It is also discontinued and difficult to find at a reasonable price; it and the 550 (also waterproof) are going for over $200 on eBay.

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
Didn't the bike-cradle of the 660 offer 3.5mm jacks for audio out and music/phone inputs?
Looks that way in their product photo:

cf-lg.jpg

OP
OP
two_wheeled
Bike
07 Yamaha FJR1300AE
Scarce thing to find these days... if at all without installing it yourself.
Is that even possible? I could be tempted to break one open and solder on a warranty breaker, if that would work. Has anyone done this?
The Garmin 2595 is tempting, if only it had an audio jack.

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
Phil rides so much that his gps needs a break between trips. Not easy to keep up with Phil... BTTT (been there tried that).

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
Is that even possible? I could be tempted to break one open and solder on a warranty breaker, if that would work. Has anyone done this?
The Garmin 2595 is tempting, if only it had an audio jack.
Yes it's possible. Yes it's a warranty voider.

Buy a cheaper one (out of warranty, used) and gives it a shot. Most of the Garmin Nuvi line can be cracked open and worked on. Look on u-tube for directions, like how to replace the battery.

Bike
2003 ST1300
I would consider the NUVI line of Garmins, and forget about the audio jack... Today, we use BLUETOOTH.

OP
OP
two_wheeled
Bike
07 Yamaha FJR1300AE
Thanks for the input guys.
I've got my eye on a 2597LMT and I have a gift card burning a hole in my pocket. :D
If I don't hear of something better for the price, I'll pull the trigger on this one.

Bike
2010 ST1300
I've been using a 2597 for about 9 months now. It goes on the bike or in our car. Downsides: It is not waterproof, a Garmin Tech person told me that it would not withstand a bike's vibration (I've had no problems here), and sunlight tends to wash the screen out and make it hard to see. A glare shield (homemade or bought) will be mandatory, imho. In our car, the voice activation is great and works fairly well. There are times when it refuses to get the spoken address and we've had to type that in. Good luck - all the gps's I've had incorporate some compromises.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Phil, why on earth would you need 7 GPS units? :)
Well, I started out with 3 Peaklifes (one for each ST1100). When the Rage came out (larger screen), I bought 4 (one for each bike and a spare) when they went on sale for $108 each. Now the Peaklifes are in the truck and car with a spare, and 3 Rages are on the bikes with a spare. Since they all use the same GPS software (IGO8), multiple ones get cheaper. The Rage have both Bluetooth audio and a headset jack. They are the same screensize as the Zumo660. The Peaklifes are the same screensize as the ZUMO550 but only have Bluetooth audio. However, there is a cheap Bluetooth music receiver with a output jack that you can use for hardwired systems. If you just need GPS function, you might take a look at them. They also have a MP3 player built in and an e-reader but I've never used them. Recently they came out with an 'updated' Peaklife that looks pretty good. The gentleman that sells the IGO8 software sends out emails when an update comes out. They usually run $38-$42 for the update and it is very simple to install. I purposely use the ones on the bike everyday to get a feel for their durability in constant use. So far after a year, they are working just fine. IGO8 takes kml routes (Google Maps) and the unit appears as a disk drive to your computer, so it is a 'drop and drag' to the proper folder to get them to the GPS. BTW, whenever I buy something for the bikes, I generally always buy a spare just in case I need it later. That practice proved really handy when I bought my third ST1100. :D

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
BTW, IIRC IGO8 software is used as the GPS software for a lot of automotive GPS systems (especially Europe), so it has all the 'usual' functions and then some. ;-) On a ride to Alaska with Alain (who had the Goldwing version of Garmin), we did a lot of side by side comparison on routes. In one instance, the Peaklife picked a more 'appropriate' route than the Garmin - because when they differed, we stopped and checked the maps just to see. :D

Bike
2010 ST1300
On a ride to Alaska with Alain (who had the Goldwing version of Garmin), we did a lot of side by side comparison on routes. In one instance, the Peaklife picked a more 'appropriate' route than the Garmin - because when they differed, we stopped and checked the maps just to see. :D
Garmin is far from perfect. I've found several mistakes (minor, to be sure) and one major one. When driving east to Manhattan, my Nuvi at that time wanted to route me through Newark, and later kept insisting that i take a state route that either did not exist or was not marked on the roads. This was my worst experience - but I followed the Google Maps directions that I had preprinted for the trip. A newspaper article last year discussed how several people have died following GPS's without checking maps. It seems (especially out west) that as roads are changed/abandoned/replaced sometimes the changes don't make it to the mapping software and people are routed toward newly created dead ends in the middle of deserts or areas with few roads. At this point, being hopelessly lost, a few people have died.

Top Bottom