MCL Adjustable Footpeg Lowering Brackets - Not at all happy with this product.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
MaxPete said:
No pigeon-toe effect for me with the fixed peg version.
Thanks for that info. I might bite.

Is anybody using GoldWing foot pegs with the MCL fixed foot peg extensions? Do they have any effect on the shifting?

SMSW said:
I was in a very tight turn with my toe under the shifter (stock ST13), leaned way over and my foot touched down.
I'm not a hard rider and in over 45 years of riding I never touched a toe until a couple of years ago and not since then. It freaked me out a tad. It happened in a decreasing radius off camber turn. Fortunately the scrape didn't make my line any worse than it already was. If I get the fixed foot peg extensions I might want to relearn foot positioning going into a turn: get it above he shifter not below.

Bike
'83 BMW R100RS
STOC #
Please note - these MCL foot peg extensions are not really "fixed". They fold like regular pegs if you happen to touch down. (If they were actually non- folding / rigid ->>>> they WOULD be dangerous).

The term fixed means that the dimension by which they move the peg from the stock position - is fixed.

I went for for another ride today and - still very comfy!

Pete

Bike
2010 ST1300
I'm not a hard rider and in over 45 years of riding I never touched a toe until a couple of years ago and not since then. It freaked me out a tad. It happened in a decreasing radius off camber turn. Fortunately the scrape didn't make my line any worse than it already was. If I get the fixed foot peg extensions I might want to relearn foot positioning going into a turn: get it above he shifter not below.
Same for me - it was a decreasing rad curve in an STOC event and i was pushing it, following a better rider. Made it through the turn with no problem, I was just very surprised for a second or two. Now I keep my feet on the pegs and not under the shifter when turning. I heard this about Abe Lincoln or Thos Jefferson - "He never burned his hand in the same fire twice...." Hopefully I can learn some things the first time too....

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
I cannot imagine how some folks are about to avoid adjusting these controls. There was NO WAY I could possibly have shifted gears without adjusting the shifter pedal.
Thanks for that info. I might bite.
Is anybody using GoldWing foot pegs with the MCL fixed foot peg extensions? Do they have any effect on the shifting?

If either of you are ever in the St. Louis area.. I'll let ya try 'em. I installed the fixed lowering blocks and the Goldwing foot pegs, never adjusted my shifter or brake pedal. At first it bugged me, but now I'm used to it. Procrastination, you get used to a new normal. ;)

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Procrastination, you get used to a new normal.
That's sig material right there!

I've got some GW pegs that I haven't installed yet. I may just wait and order the blocks and GID in one swoop. Thanks for the additional info.

Bike
'83 BMW R100RS
STOC #
If either of you are ever in the St. Louis area.. I'll let ya try 'em. I installed the fixed lowering blocks and the Goldwing foot pegs, never adjusted my shifter or brake pedal. At first it bugged me, but now I'm used to it. Procrastination, you get used to a new normal. ;)
Indeed you can. I must say though that you've got to have some pretty flexible ankles.

Cheers,

Pete

I ordered the MCL adjustable foot peg lowering brackets, THEN read this thread before they arrived. Needless to say, I was quite hesitant to install these. They came in this week, and I just finished installing them and going out for about a 10 mile test ride in suburbia. I know it's early on, but I really like them. I didn't scrape a peg on my ride, but then again, I was just riding around normal streets in normal traffic. The comfort is much, much improved with these on, actually exceeding my expectations.

I am 6'4", and I have put double risers (heli gen 3 riser and genmar blocks) and extended the hydraulic lines in an effort to make the bike more comfortable for long trips. The double risers eliminated shoulder burn, and I am hoping the brackets lowering and widening the position of my feet, I can have this bike dialed in just right. If these brackets didn't get me where I needed to be comfort wise, I was going to look at getting something else, likely an F6B. I realize I will likely scrape the pegs easier than before in twisties, but most of my riding is around the metromess, and not overly aggressive. Time will tell, but early on, these seem to be a keeper.

OP
OP
CYYJ

CYYJ

Michael
Bike
None any more.
STOC #
...I realize I will likely scrape the pegs easier than before in twisties...
What caused me concern (when I originally started this discussion) is that when you are leaned over in the twisties, immediately after the acorn nut on the bottom of the peg touches the ground, the lowering brackets then touches the ground. The pegs are designed to deflect up and back when scraped, but the lowering brackets form an immovable part of the frame of the moto, and will not deflect when they come into contact with the ground.

I hope the installation works for you, but, be careful until you have discovered what happens when you are leaned over and the the footpeg & lowering bracket touch the ground.

Michael

What caused me concern (when I originally started this discussion) is that when you are leaned over in the twisties, immediately after the acorn nut on the bottom of the peg touches the ground, the lowering brackets then touches the ground. The pegs are designed to deflect up and back when scraped, but the lowering brackets form an immovable part of the frame of the moto, and will not deflect when they come into contact with the ground.

I hope the installation works for you, but, be careful until you have discovered what happens when you are leaned over and the the footpeg & lowering bracket touch the ground.

Well, today I went for a ride and found I scraped my foot three different times, and was not being aggressive. As much as I hoped these were going to work, I took them off today. I just don't feel like the bike is safe with them on. I could likely ride and get by with these on just riding around DFW, but these just don't allow enough lean if you needed it. Also, I like to ride to remote areas like Arkansas (going to Mena this week as a matter of fact) and just would not be comfortable hitting twisties with these on the bike. I really wanted them to work so I wouldn't have to readjust the shifter and brake pedal/light again. :razz:

Good original post and review on these. I wish I had found it before I purchased these.

Bike
'83 BMW R100RS
STOC #

Well, today I went for a ride and found I scraped my foot three different times, and was not being aggressive. As much as I hoped these were going to work, I took them off today. I just don't feel like the bike is safe with them on. I could likely ride and get by with these on just riding around DFW, but these just don't allow enough lean if you needed it. Also, I like to ride to remote areas like Arkansas (going to Mena this week as a matter of fact) and just would not be comfortable hitting twisties with these on the bike. I really wanted them to work so I wouldn't have to readjust the shifter and brake pedal/light again. :razz:

Good original post and review on these. I wish I had found it before I purchased these.
You might try the NON-adjustable units from MCL. I have found them to be really good and have had no touch down issues even when zooming around cloverleaf on-ramps.

Pete

Last edited:

Happy Rob

Rob
Bike
2004 ST 1300
STOC #
I installed a set of MCL fixed lowering brackets last night. No scrapping yet. I feel I have to adjust the shifter and brake levers though. Just don't feel comfortable. Or, am I just not used to the new placement yet. While writing this I have decided to leave them for a few more rides to ensure I like them.

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
I feel I have to adjust the shifter and brake levers though. Just don't feel comfortable. Or, am I just not used to the new placement yet. While writing this I have decided to leave them for a few more rides to ensure I like them.
I gave it a few more rides... that was two+ years ago. Still haven't adjusted and I even added Goldwing pegs too.
Procrastination has a way of resetting 'normal'.

Freebird773

I completely agree.
No adjustment what so ever if you want to keep the peg in a flat neutral position.
I have ridden,raced and owned hundreds of bikes.
The MCL lowering kit does push the pegs much farther out,resulting in a completely awkward shifting position and horrible braking position.
Very unsafe.
I rode the bike twice and took them off this morning.
Disgusted with what I paid and the use I got out of them.
Waste of my hard earned cash

OP
OP
CYYJ

CYYJ

Michael
Bike
None any more.
STOC #
Does anyone have any they want to sell?
Ron:

Are the MCL adjustable footpeg extensions shown in the photo below the ones you are looking for? These are the very same parts that are photographed in the first post on page 1 of this discussion (where I expressed my unhappiness with them).

If these are what you are after, send me a message with your postal address, and I will send them to you next time I am in the United States - probably later this week. No charge, you can buy me a coffee sometime if we ever meet up.

Michael

Footpegs.jpg

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
Michael:

If Ron does not take you up on your generous offer I am interested on behalf of my brother-in-law. He is 76 years old and still rides an ST1300 but suffers from from knee pain. He has considered selling the bike because of this. He doesn't give up easily however. We have been trying to find a set of MCL fixed lowering brackets for him without success. In lieu of that if we could get a set of adjustable ones for a small investment we would not feel so bad about taking the risk of trying to modify them to make them work for him. I am in Montreal.

Top Bottom